Ken Anderson

Default 1900 Madeira

My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of the
wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this bottle?
Thanks for any help here.
Ken Anderson

Anders Tørneskog

"Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
> My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of
> the
> wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this
> bottle?
> Thanks for any help here.
> Ken Anderson

Hi
Madeira is in principle indestructible - it survives poor storage better
than any other wine. 10% evaporation is a bit excessive, however. Could
you describe liquid level in relation to the bottle, i.e. does it reach the
shoulder, or even the neck of the bottle, or is it below the shoulder? Is
there any legible lettering on the label and can you repeat it here?
Does the cork seem to be in good shape, is it loose? (Don't open yet! =
:-0 )
The value could be something like 200-700USD but more info is needed
hth
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
> My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of
> the
> wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this
> bottle?
> Thanks for any help here.
> Ken Anderson

Hi
Madeira is in principle indestructible - it survives poor storage better
than any other wine. 10% evaporation is a bit excessive, however. Could
you describe liquid level in relation to the bottle, i.e. does it reach the
shoulder, or even the neck of the bottle, or is it below the shoulder? Is
there any legible lettering on the label and can you repeat it here?
Does the cork seem to be in good shape, is it loose? (Don't open yet! =
:-0 )
The value could be something like 200-700USD but more info is needed
hth
Anders

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Ken Anderson,

le/on Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:32:41 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
>Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of the
>wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this bottle?

Nah, worthless. However, as I quite like oddities, I'll gladly pay him a few
dollars plus postage.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
but.
..
..
..
..
..
..

..
..
..
..
..

Seriously, this time. Yes Madeira, even if dry, is virtually immortal and a
1900 vintage madeirqa should be worth quite a bit. Even if the label is
damaged and the wine heavily ullaged, it should be worth quite a bit. From
your use of the word "buddy" I'd imagine that you're in the US. Were you in
the UK, I'd suggest that your friend contact Christie's wine dept who might
well have be interested in auctioning it.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ken Anderson

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message
news

> "Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
> > My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> > Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of
> > the
> > wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this
> > bottle?
> > Thanks for any help here.
> > Ken Anderson
> >

> Hi
> Madeira is in principle indestructible - it survives poor storage better
> than any other wine. 10% evaporation is a bit excessive, however. Could
> you describe liquid level in relation to the bottle, i.e. does it reach the
> shoulder, or even the neck of the bottle, or is it below the shoulder? Is
> there any legible lettering on the label and can you repeat it here?
> Does the cork seem to be in good shape, is it loose? (Don't open yet! =
> :-0 )
> The value could be something like 200-700USD but more info is needed
> hth
> Anders

Yes, quite a bit of the label is legible. I'll take a few pics and post them
on my site. I'll need a day or two.
Thanks!
Ken

Ken Anderson

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message
news

> "Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
> > My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> > Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of
> > the
> > wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this
> > bottle?
> > Thanks for any help here.
> > Ken Anderson
> >

> Hi
> Madeira is in principle indestructible - it survives poor storage better
> than any other wine. 10% evaporation is a bit excessive, however. Could
> you describe liquid level in relation to the bottle, i.e. does it reach the
> shoulder, or even the neck of the bottle, or is it below the shoulder? Is
> there any legible lettering on the label and can you repeat it here?
> Does the cork seem to be in good shape, is it loose? (Don't open yet! =
> :-0 )
> The value could be something like 200-700USD but more info is needed
> hth
> Anders

Yes, quite a bit of the label is legible. I'll take a few pics and post them
on my site. I'll need a day or two.
Thanks!
Ken

Ken Anderson

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Ken Anderson,
>
> le/on Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:32:41 -0500, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> >Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of

the
> >wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this

bottle?

> Nah, worthless. However, as I quite like oddities, I'll gladly pay him a few
> dollars plus postage.
> .
> .
> .
> but.
> .
>
> Seriously, this time. Yes Madeira, even if dry, is virtually immortal and a
> 1900 vintage madeirqa should be worth quite a bit. Even if the label is
> damaged and the wine heavily ullaged, it should be worth quite a bit. From
> your use of the word "buddy" I'd imagine that you're in the US. Were you in
> the UK, I'd suggest that your friend contact Christie's wine dept who might
> well have be interested in auctioning it.
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Cool! Yes, I'm in the US.
I just picked up the bottle. There's not as much evaporated, as I thought.
The bottle says "Boal" on it, "Vintage of 1900," and says it was grown and
shipped by "Ferraz and Co."
I'll still get the pics up later.
Thanks again!
Ken

SteveL

Ken Anderson wrote:
> "Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message
> news >
>> "Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
>>
>>> My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900
>>> bottle of Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape,
>>> and maybe 10% of the wine has dissipated. In any event, might
>>> there be any value to this bottle? Thanks for any help here. Ken
>>> Anderson
>>>

>> Hi Madeira is in principle indestructible - it survives poor
>> storage better than any other wine. 10% evaporation is a bit
>> excessive, however. Could you describe liquid level in relation to
>> the bottle, i.e. does it reach the shoulder, or even the neck of
>> the bottle, or is it below the shoulder? Is there any legible
>> lettering on the label and can you repeat it here? Does the cork
>> seem to be in good shape, is it loose? (Don't open yet! = :-0 )
>> The value could be something like 200-700USD but more info is
>> needed hth Anders
>>

> Yes, quite a bit of the label is legible. I'll take a few pics and
> post them on my site. I'll need a day or two. Thanks! Ken

Does it look like this? http://tinyurl.com/43ecm

Ferraz, F. F. & Co (MWC)
Brand of the MWC, founded in 1915, joined in 1937, went out of trade in
1988.

Steve
Cwdjrx _

Ferraz is not a producer of Madeira that I have seen. Michael Broadbent,
who probably has tasted more old Madeira than anyone, does not describe
a Ferez 1900 Madeira of any kind in his 3 wine books published over the
last 20+ years. He also makes this interesting statement in his first
book:

"I think I ought to mention at this stage that many bottles of old
madeira found in the cellars of country houses are rarely of the quality
of the true vintage and old solera wines that emanate from the island
itself. I well remember coming across an enormous stock, all about a
century old and all (after random sampling) thin and acetic, dead and
gone."

Thus I would not get my hopes up too much unless more information can be
found about the reputation of Ferraz.

In general, the year 1900 was an outstanding one and especially for
Sercil and Verdelho Madeira. A 1900 is fairly young as far as Madeira
goes. Bottles from even the late 1700s sometimes come up for auction. A
true vintage Madeira with a year should not be confused with a solera
Madeira with the mention of a year. A solera wine is a mixture of
perhaps many quite younger years with often only a small part of the
wine coming from the year mentioned.

I collect vintage Madeira, and have bottles going back to 1827. The only
1900 I have is the Vintage Moscatel from d'Oliviera which Broadbent
rated 4 out of 5 star. I would only buy these wines when I could read
good tasting notes written by Michael Broadbent and a few others who
tasted many old Madeiras, mainly in connection with their work at wine
auction houses. I would say the next thing you need to do is to search
to see if you can find out anything about Ferraz and the 1900 bottle you
have. With only a single bottle, unless there is a good review of the
wine somewhere or the firm of Ferraz had a very good reputaton, an
auction house or knowledgeable buyer is not likely to pay very much for
the wine for reasons explained in the Broadbent quote given.

Reply to .

Ken Anderson

"SteveL" > wrote in message
> Ken Anderson wrote:
> > "Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message
> > news > >
> >> "Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding

> >> Hi Madeira is in principle indestructible - it survives poor
> >> storage better than any other wine. 10% evaporation is a bit
> >> excessive, however. Could you describe liquid level in relation to
> >> the bottle, i.e. does it reach the shoulder, or even the neck of
> >> the bottle, or is it below the shoulder? Is there any legible
> >> lettering on the label and can you repeat it here? Does the cork
> >> seem to be in good shape, is it loose? (Don't open yet! = :-0 )
> >> The value could be something like 200-700USD but more info is
> >> needed hth Anders
> >>

> > Yes, quite a bit of the label is legible. I'll take a few pics and
> > post them on my site. I'll need a day or two. Thanks! Ken

> Does it look like this? http://tinyurl.com/43ecm
>
> Ferraz, F. F. & Co (MWC)
> Brand of the MWC, founded in 1915, joined in 1937, went out of trade in
> 1988.
>
> Steve

Uh, yeah. Is something amiss? Here's my pics:
http://users.adelphia.net/~aken75/

Anders Tørneskog

"Cwdjrx _" > skrev i melding
> Ferraz is not a producer of Madeira that I have seen. Michael Broadbent,
> who probably has tasted more old Madeira than anyone, does not describe
> a Ferez 1900 Madeira of any kind in his 3 wine books published over the
> last 20+ years. He also makes this interesting statement in his first
> book:

Hi
It seems to me that the F.F. Ferraz is not completely unknown. I've googled
the following:
It is only because of Alex Liddell's bible on Madeira wine that we know of a
1795 wine from F. F. Ferraz called "Messias". I have spent lots of time to
find another bottle of this wine, but without success. Liddell had purchased
his wine in 1970 at Christie's and tasted it in 1996/1997. The wine had been
bottled before F. F. Ferraz joined the Madeira Wine Association in 1937.
Of course, this does not say that Ferraz existed in 1795, only that they
bottled that vintage sometime.
this site
http://www.madeirawineguide.com/made...ntage_list.htm
lists
1900 Boal F.F. Ferraz in addition to the 1795, these being the only years
associated with that company!
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
> My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of
> the
> wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this
> bottle?
> Thanks for any help here.
> Ken Anderson

Hi again.
You may want to know the following:
Boal; Bual
[boo-AHL, boh-AHL]
1. A white wine grape historically associated with the island of MADEIRA.
Boal is now found there only in limited quantities. After PHYLLOXERA
attacked the Madeira vineyards in the 1870s...the vineyards were eventually
replanted .... with the hardier TINTA NEGRA MOLE. ...Boal is expected to
make a comeback. 2. After MALMSEY, Boal is the darkest and and richest of
the Madeira wine styles. Originally made primarily with the Boal grape, this
style of Madeira has recently utilized more Tinta Negra Mole, especially in
the cheaper versions. However, in 1986, Portugal entered the Common Market,
whose regulations required that by 1993 any Madeira wine naming a variety on
its label would have to contain at least 85 percent of that grape. This
labeling requirement has caused an upsurge in replanting of the classic
vines such as Boal. Wines labeled "Boal-style" can contain less than the
required 85 percent and most likely contain more Tinta Negra Mole.

Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Ken Anderson" > skrev i melding
> My buddy was doing some cleaning and came across a vintage 1900 bottle of
> Madeira. Never opened, but the label is in poor shape, and maybe 10% of
> the
> wine has dissipated. In any event, might there be any value to this
> bottle?
> Thanks for any help here.
> Ken Anderson

Hi again.
You may want to know the following:
Boal; Bual
[boo-AHL, boh-AHL]
1. A white wine grape historically associated with the island of MADEIRA.
Boal is now found there only in limited quantities. After PHYLLOXERA
attacked the Madeira vineyards in the 1870s...the vineyards were eventually
replanted .... with the hardier TINTA NEGRA MOLE. ...Boal is expected to
make a comeback. 2. After MALMSEY, Boal is the darkest and and richest of
the Madeira wine styles. Originally made primarily with the Boal grape, this
style of Madeira has recently utilized more Tinta Negra Mole, especially in
the cheaper versions. However, in 1986, Portugal entered the Common Market,
whose regulations required that by 1993 any Madeira wine naming a variety on
its label would have to contain at least 85 percent of that grape. This
labeling requirement has caused an upsurge in replanting of the classic
vines such as Boal. Wines labeled "Boal-style" can contain less than the
required 85 percent and most likely contain more Tinta Negra Mole.

Anders

Cwdjrx _

There are many 1900 Madeiras available for sale around the world. I did
not find Ferraz of any type listed for 1900 at www.wine-searcher.com.
However, the prices per bottle range in the few to several hundred US
dollar range, depending on the type of Madeira, the company, and the
reputation of the wine based on tastings and such. Madeira of abouit 100
years age is fairly easy to obtain. Madeira was out of fashion for many
years, and there were huge stocks of the old wine on the island. As
these stocks have been sold, the price of the more desired wines has
gone up greatly in recent years. Compare this with the 1985
Romanee-Conti that sells for US$ 5000 and more per bottle. It is all a
matter of supply, demand, and reputation. The very old Madeira usually
is available only at auction, but a few carriage trade wine dealers
often keep a few bottles - often priced at much more than the auction
price.

Reply to .

Ken Anderson

"Cwdjrx _" > wrote in message
> There are many 1900 Madeiras available for sale around the world. I did
> not find Ferraz of any type listed for 1900 at www.wine-searcher.com.
> However, the prices per bottle range in the few to several hundred US
> dollar range, depending on the type of Madeira, the company, and the
> reputation of the wine based on tastings and such. Madeira of abouit 100
> years age is fairly easy to obtain. Madeira was out of fashion for many
> years, and there were huge stocks of the old wine on the island. As
> these stocks have been sold, the price of the more desired wines has
> gone up greatly in recent years. Compare this with the 1985
> Romanee-Conti that sells for US$ 5000 and more per bottle. It is all a
> matter of supply, demand, and reputation. The very old Madeira usually
> is available only at auction, but a few carriage trade wine dealers
> often keep a few bottles - often priced at much more than the auction
> price.

Thank you, and particularly to Anders.
I did indeed contact Christie's, and received the following reply:
auction estimate 150-200 USD - not worth shipping to NY - sell locally

Richard Brierley
Vice President, Head of North American Wine Sales
Christie's
20 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10020
T: 1 212 636 2270
F: 1 212 636 4954"
---

Cwdjrx _

Michael Pronay wrote: (Cwdjrx _) wrote:
The very old Madeira usually is available only at auction, ...
... and on the island. Oliveiras in their lodge (open to the public) has
vintages back to 1850 on their official list (and olders "on request")."

I am sure you could obtain some fine Madeira at aucton on the island as
you mentioned. However all of the very old Madeira I have, going back to
the 1820s , was obtained at commercial auction houses. Some of this may
have firstcome from the island source you mentioned. Michael Broadbent
and others found much of the old Madeira offered at auction in old
cellars in the UK. Also Madeira was one of the most important wines in
the early US, and some old wnes come up for auction from old US cellars.
Much of this old US sourced Madeira was named for the company that
brought it in, a ship, etc. It varied from the quite ordinary to the
best available. I think Michael Broadbent and others may have cleaed out
the Madeira in most of the old UK cellars, so not much top Madeira may
be coming from this source in the future. Fine Madeira has been
rediscovered in recent years, the supply of the best older wines has
been greatly decreased, and the price has increased greatly for the
best. Just a few years ago old vintage Madeira was one of the best
bargins around. Of course the French have long used quite a bit of
Madeira in various sauces, but I doubt if even a 3-star French
restaurant would put quality old vintage Madeira in a sauce!

Reply to .