Dick R.

Default Food/Wine pairing - Valpolicella

Hi All,
Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?

TIA
Dick R.
Mark Lipton

Dick R. wrote:
> Hi All,
> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?

Valpolicella, especially as made by Allegrini, is a full-bodied red wine
with lots of character and acidity. It would probably do all right with
a red pasta sauce, but if you're looking for a regional match keep in
mind that you don't see many red sauces in the Veneto, where
Valpolicella is located. I'd say Osso Bucco would make a fine match, as
would most red meats.

HTH
Mark Lipton
Dick R.

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Dick R. wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
>> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
>> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
>> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?

> Valpolicella, especially as made by Allegrini, is a full-bodied red wine
> with lots of character and acidity. It would probably do all right with
> a red pasta sauce, but if you're looking for a regional match keep in
> mind that you don't see many red sauces in the Veneto, where
> Valpolicella is located. I'd say Osso Bucco would make a fine match, as
> would most red meats.
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I can understand red meats (I'm a basic carnivore),
but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
Osso Bucco?

Thanks,
Dick R.
Dick R.

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Dick R. wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
>> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
>> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
>> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?

> Valpolicella, especially as made by Allegrini, is a full-bodied red wine
> with lots of character and acidity. It would probably do all right with
> a red pasta sauce, but if you're looking for a regional match keep in
> mind that you don't see many red sauces in the Veneto, where
> Valpolicella is located. I'd say Osso Bucco would make a fine match, as
> would most red meats.
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. I can understand red meats (I'm a basic carnivore),
but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
Osso Bucco?

Thanks,
Dick R.
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:43:35 -0600, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Mark Lipton wrote:
>> Dick R. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
>>> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
>>> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
>>> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?

>> Valpolicella, especially as made by Allegrini, is a full-bodied red wine
>> with lots of character and acidity. It would probably do all right with
>> a red pasta sauce, but if you're looking for a regional match keep in
>> mind that you don't see many red sauces in the Veneto, where
>> Valpolicella is located. I'd say Osso Bucco would make a fine match, as
>> would most red meats.
>>
>> HTH
>> Mark Lipton

>Hi Mark,
>Thanks for the reply. I can understand red meats (I'm a basic carnivore),
>but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
>Osso Bucco?
>
>Thanks,
>Dick R.

Braised veal shanks. Typically rounds of veal with a marrow bone, done
in a stew of carrots, tomatoes, etc. The meat is delicate and tender
with great flavors. And, the best part is spreading the marrow on some
fine Italian bread. Often served with gnocci or polenta.

Personally, I go with Pinot Noir when I convince the wife to do Osso
Bucco, but I'll add that a light Valpolicella reminds me a lot of a
bright, cherry-oriented PN.

I never like Valpolicella very much until I discovered (typical
ignorant American, that I am) that Valpolicella in jug bottles is
about the same relationship to good Valpolicella as "chianti" is to
Chianti Classico. The "real thing" can be sublime.

Recently I got introduced to the rippasso style of Valpo, sort of a
second cousin to Amarone. These wines are big, warm, heavy and
certainly work well for me with almost any Italian cuisine.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Ed Rasimus

Dick R. wrote:
> Hi All,
> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?
>
> TIA
> Dick R.

A veal roll is good, stuffed with spinach and eggs.

Dick R. wrote:
> Hi All,
> Received a bottle of Allegrini Valpolicella in a mixed
> case for Christmas. I've never tried Valpolicella, but in
> the back of my mind I seem to recall that it is good with
> red sauce pasta. Any thoughts?
>
> TIA
> Dick R.

A veal roll is good, stuffed with spinach and eggs.

Tom S

"Dick R." > wrote in message
> but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
> Osso Bucco?

Literally translated, it means "bone with a hole" as I recall.

Osso Bucco is an incredibly delicious dish prepared from veal shanks.
They're baked in a covered casserole with a mixture of chopped vegetables
(onion, carrot and celery) in beef broth. Garlic, tomatoes, lemon peel,
basil, s&p, white wine, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf also go in.

It's an easy dish to prepare, but there's a lot of chopping required. Also,
it's best to make one's own broth rather than use the store bought boullion.

When the shanks are falling-off-the-bone tender, they are removed to a
platter and the sauce is thickened by reduction and adding flour. The
traditional accompaniment is risotto Milanese, but I usually just serve it
over plain rice and drink Chardonnay with it.

I have a detailed recipe for 6, but it's in jpeg format so I won't post it
here. E-mail me if you're interested, with osso buco in the subject line.
Remove dontspam from my address.

Tom S

Tom S

"Dick R." > wrote in message
> but without searching through my wife's cookbook collection, what's
> Osso Bucco?

Literally translated, it means "bone with a hole" as I recall.

Osso Bucco is an incredibly delicious dish prepared from veal shanks.
They're baked in a covered casserole with a mixture of chopped vegetables
(onion, carrot and celery) in beef broth. Garlic, tomatoes, lemon peel,
basil, s&p, white wine, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf also go in.

It's an easy dish to prepare, but there's a lot of chopping required. Also,
it's best to make one's own broth rather than use the store bought boullion.

When the shanks are falling-off-the-bone tender, they are removed to a
platter and the sauce is thickened by reduction and adding flour. The
traditional accompaniment is risotto Milanese, but I usually just serve it
over plain rice and drink Chardonnay with it.

I have a detailed recipe for 6, but it's in jpeg format so I won't post it
here. E-mail me if you're interested, with osso buco in the subject line.
Remove dontspam from my address.

Tom S

CabFan

<<SNIP>>

> Braised veal shanks. Typically rounds of veal with a marrow bone, done
> in a stew of carrots, tomatoes, etc. The meat is delicate and tender
> with great flavors. And, the best part is spreading the marrow on some
> fine Italian bread. Often served with gnocci or polenta.
>
> Personally, I go with Pinot Noir when I convince the wife to do Osso
> Bucco, but I'll add that a light Valpolicella reminds me a lot of a
> bright, cherry-oriented PN.
>
> I never like Valpolicella very much until I discovered (typical
> ignorant American, that I am) that Valpolicella in jug bottles is
> about the same relationship to good Valpolicella as "chianti" is to
> Chianti Classico. The "real thing" can be sublime.
>
> Recently I got introduced to the rippasso style of Valpo, sort of a
> second cousin to Amarone. These wines are big, warm, heavy and
> certainly work well for me with almost any Italian cuisine.
>

> Ed Rasimus

Ed,

Ripasso is actually made by pouring Valpolicella juice over the skins left
behind after Amarone is made so it is a sort-of "in-between" style. It's
always been interesting to me that they actually make 4 different styled
wines in Valpolicella from the same basic mix of grapes (those being
Valpolicella, Ripasso, Amarone and Recitto (spelling?))

Cheers,
Gary
CabFan

<<SNIP>>

> Braised veal shanks. Typically rounds of veal with a marrow bone, done
> in a stew of carrots, tomatoes, etc. The meat is delicate and tender
> with great flavors. And, the best part is spreading the marrow on some
> fine Italian bread. Often served with gnocci or polenta.
>
> Personally, I go with Pinot Noir when I convince the wife to do Osso
> Bucco, but I'll add that a light Valpolicella reminds me a lot of a
> bright, cherry-oriented PN.
>
> I never like Valpolicella very much until I discovered (typical
> ignorant American, that I am) that Valpolicella in jug bottles is
> about the same relationship to good Valpolicella as "chianti" is to
> Chianti Classico. The "real thing" can be sublime.
>
> Recently I got introduced to the rippasso style of Valpo, sort of a
> second cousin to Amarone. These wines are big, warm, heavy and
> certainly work well for me with almost any Italian cuisine.
>

> Ed Rasimus

Ed,

Ripasso is actually made by pouring Valpolicella juice over the skins left
behind after Amarone is made so it is a sort-of "in-between" style. It's
always been interesting to me that they actually make 4 different styled
wines in Valpolicella from the same basic mix of grapes (those being
Valpolicella, Ripasso, Amarone and Recitto (spelling?))

Cheers,
Gary
ferrante formato

The correct writing is Osso Buco = "Hollow Bone"

ferrante formato

The correct writing is Osso Buco = "Hollow Bone"

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>Agreed. A white is more usual with Osso Buco. And it is usually
>accompanied by rice cooked with saffron (indeed risotto alla
>Milanese), so all the more reason to do so. Chard sounds fine, but
>Chenin would also be great.

Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>Agreed. A white is more usual with Osso Buco. And it is usually
>accompanied by rice cooked with saffron (indeed risotto alla
>Milanese), so all the more reason to do so. Chard sounds fine, but
>Chenin would also be great.

Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

Dimitri

Tom S

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
> like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

IMO Syrah is too heavy to accompany osso buco. Likewise Cabernet. If you
insist on a red, I think Chianti/Sangiovese or Burgundy/Pinot Noir would be
more appropriate. Possibly a Valpolicella (to bring this back on topic).
Veal is more delicate than beef and the wine shouldn't stomp all over the
meat.

BTW, osso buco isn't greasy if it's prepared properly, and it goes well with
big, rich whites. Although I usually serve the same Chardonnay with it that
goes into its preparation, a dry Austrian Gewurtztraminer (or the like)
would be nice too. No NZ Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre with this dish please!

Tom S

Tom S

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
> like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

IMO Syrah is too heavy to accompany osso buco. Likewise Cabernet. If you
insist on a red, I think Chianti/Sangiovese or Burgundy/Pinot Noir would be
more appropriate. Possibly a Valpolicella (to bring this back on topic).
Veal is more delicate than beef and the wine shouldn't stomp all over the
meat.

BTW, osso buco isn't greasy if it's prepared properly, and it goes well with
big, rich whites. Although I usually serve the same Chardonnay with it that
goes into its preparation, a dry Austrian Gewurtztraminer (or the like)
would be nice too. No NZ Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre with this dish please!

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi D. Gerasimatos,

le/on Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:24:40 +0000 (UTC), tu disais/you said:-

>>Agreed. A white is more usual with Osso Buco. And it is usually
>>accompanied by rice cooked with saffron (indeed risotto alla
>>Milanese), so all the more reason to do so. Chard sounds fine, but
>>Chenin would also be great.

>Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
>like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

Really Dimitri? That's amazing. I usually find that veal is too delicate a
meat to serve with most reds. A delicate light red would go with a big
bosomy veal dish, and of course osso bucco can be that, but the more classic
accompanying wine is white.

This is an ideal moment for Michael's favourite Gruner Veltliner, though a
mig but not too oaky chardonnay wouldn't be at all bad. However, I'd look to
a big white from Italy, though I'm sadly too ignorant of them to suggest
one. Orvieto perhaps?

Syrah, at least any syrah I've ever drunk, would 0 in my opinion simply
swamp the dish.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Tom S > wrote:
>"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
>> Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
>> like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

>IMO Syrah is too heavy to accompany osso buco. Likewise Cabernet. If you
>insist on a red, I think Chianti/Sangiovese or Burgundy/Pinot Noir would be
>more appropriate. Possibly a Valpolicella (to bring this back on topic).
>Veal is more delicate than beef and the wine shouldn't stomp all over the
>meat.

Well, different strokes for different folks. The last time I had osso buco
I had a Darioush syrah and I think it went well. I cannot imagine having a
white wine with that dish. I did have some champagne (1988 Krug) with that
dish and overall I think white is a mistake, IMO. This is coming from a
person who loves white wines.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Tom S > wrote:
>"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
>> Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
>> like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

>IMO Syrah is too heavy to accompany osso buco. Likewise Cabernet. If you
>insist on a red, I think Chianti/Sangiovese or Burgundy/Pinot Noir would be
>more appropriate. Possibly a Valpolicella (to bring this back on topic).
>Veal is more delicate than beef and the wine shouldn't stomp all over the
>meat.

Well, different strokes for different folks. The last time I had osso buco
I had a Darioush syrah and I think it went well. I cannot imagine having a
white wine with that dish. I did have some champagne (1988 Krug) with that
dish and overall I think white is a mistake, IMO. This is coming from a
person who loves white wines.

Dimitri

Tom S

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> The last time I had osso buco
> I had a Darioush syrah and I think it went well. I cannot imagine having a
> white wine with that dish. I did have some champagne (1988 Krug) with that
> dish and overall I think white is a mistake, IMO. This is coming from a
> person who loves white wines.

Do you have the recipe? I'd like to compare. I'd guess yours is quite
tomatoey and light on veggies. There's very little tomato in my favorite
recipe.

Tom S

Tom S

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> The last time I had osso buco
> I had a Darioush syrah and I think it went well. I cannot imagine having a
> white wine with that dish. I did have some champagne (1988 Krug) with that
> dish and overall I think white is a mistake, IMO. This is coming from a
> person who loves white wines.

Do you have the recipe? I'd like to compare. I'd guess yours is quite
tomatoey and light on veggies. There's very little tomato in my favorite
recipe.

Tom S

joseph b. rosenberg

Last big tasting dinner I went to we had osso bucco with 1989 and 1990
Bordeaux. It went well.

--
Joseph B. Rosenberg
"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...
> "D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> > The last time I had osso buco
> > I had a Darioush syrah and I think it went well. I cannot imagine having

> > white wine with that dish. I did have some champagne (1988 Krug) with

that
> > dish and overall I think white is a mistake, IMO. This is coming from a
> > person who loves white wines.

> Do you have the recipe? I'd like to compare. I'd guess yours is quite
> tomatoey and light on veggies. There's very little tomato in my favorite
> recipe.
>
> Tom S

joseph b. rosenberg

Last big tasting dinner I went to we had osso bucco with 1989 and 1990
Bordeaux. It went well.

--
Joseph B. Rosenberg
"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...
> "D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> > The last time I had osso buco
> > I had a Darioush syrah and I think it went well. I cannot imagine having

> > white wine with that dish. I did have some champagne (1988 Krug) with

that
> > dish and overall I think white is a mistake, IMO. This is coming from a
> > person who loves white wines.

> Do you have the recipe? I'd like to compare. I'd guess yours is quite
> tomatoey and light on veggies. There's very little tomato in my favorite
> recipe.
>
> Tom S

Cwdjrx _

In addition to variations in the sauce, there is much variation in veal
in the US. In many parts of the country, "veal" is rather red, may not
be milk fed only, and may resemble beef as much or more than classic,
very young, milk fed, veal. I have to have veal shipped in if I want the
classic thing. A dish made from this near-beef veal could handle a much
stronger wine than classic milk fed veal.

Reply to .

ferrante formato

> This is an ideal moment for Michael's favourite Gruner Veltliner, though a
> mig but not too oaky chardonnay wouldn't be at all bad. However, I'd look

> a big white from Italy, though I'm sadly too ignorant of them to suggest
> one. Orvieto perhaps?

Orvieto is a town in Umbria producing excellent whites. Campania's white
wines are now in the limelight: Greco di Tufo, Fiano, Falanghina. Sardinia
also with her Spanish-like Guernacha.
All the rest is literature

ferrante formato

> This is an ideal moment for Michael's favourite Gruner Veltliner, though a
> mig but not too oaky chardonnay wouldn't be at all bad. However, I'd look

> a big white from Italy, though I'm sadly too ignorant of them to suggest
> one. Orvieto perhaps?

Orvieto is a town in Umbria producing excellent whites. Campania's white
wines are now in the limelight: Greco di Tufo, Fiano, Falanghina. Sardinia
also with her Spanish-like Guernacha.
All the rest is literature

ferrante formato

> I know you are in fact clued into italian whites, but so many italian
> whites are on the flabby side, I would stick to Friuli for safety
> reasons ;-) I would imagine a Tocai Friulano...

You are free to invent your own world.

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Tom S > wrote:

>Do you have the recipe? I'd like to compare. I'd guess yours is quite
>tomatoey and light on veggies. There's very little tomato in my favorite
>recipe.

I did not prepare it. I had it at a restaurant.

Dimitri

Tom S

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Tom S > wrote:
>>
>>Do you have the recipe? I'd like to compare. I'd guess yours is quite
>>tomatoey and light on veggies. There's very little tomato in my favorite
>>recipe.

> I did not prepare it. I had it at a restaurant.

OK, but can you describe it? What color was the sauce?

Tom S

Luk

"Mike Tommasi" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:44:30 +0200, "ferrante formato"
> > wrote:
>

> I might add that while Friuli whites redefined the taste for whites in
> Italy, the style was initially marked by the distinction between
> barrique and non-barrique, the former getting most of the attention
> despite the prevalence of excessively oaked wines. This overoaked
> tendency is showing signs of abating, thankfully, and with any luck,
> in 5-6 years we will see Italian whites reach new heights.

Mike is right, the Italian renaissance on white wines has just begun, even
if more and more often I find surprising products like the Ageno from La
Stoppa (Piacenza). A white made totally without SO2, and that lives a month
on their skins during fermentation.
But coming back to ossobuco, if one want to remain in Veneto, a Soave of
Pieropan or Inama IMHO will match decently.

Luk

Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Iin Italy the white wine culture of your average wine drinker is
> similarly limited.
>
> But whereas France has produced grand whites in Alsace and the
> Loire for centuries, and even the grandest of them all in
> Burgundy, the serious whites in Italy are not as easy to name,
> and those few are of very recent "tradition". Friuli only a few
> decades ago produced mostly reds, and Campania was not known for
> ANY wine until recent times (let's leave out the Romans, let's
> think of the last 500 years...). Even neighbouring (from my
> perspective) Liguria, with its recent improvements in
> Vermentino, is a relative newcomer to the world of quality
> whites, and only a handful of producers are worthy of attention.

Don't forget Alto Adige - possibly the oldest white wine culture in
Italy (with Friuli).

M.
DaleW

Jumping in late, I nevertheless have many opinions

I agree with Cwdjrx that the quality of veal can make a big difference.
Milk fed veal vs. "almost beef" can influence the choice. My default
choice for veal is usually white, unless I know either the veal is NOT
delicate or the sauce requires red.

There are 2 main styles of osso buco prevalent in America. Probably the
more common (and probably what Dimitri had) involves a rather dense
tomato sauce. The other style (osso buco bianco) is more what Mike &
Tom are talking about- braised in white wine and broth, with gremolata
(parsley, garlic and lemon peel).
Betsy made a variation of the latter, osso buco Trieste (adds garlic
and anchovies), last week. "Proper" match would have been a Northern
Italian white, but went well with a white from Campania, the Feudi di
San Gregorio Falanghina.

DaleW

Chuck, I'll try to remember to post, but am fighting the flu and it
might be a couple days. I beleive the recipe came from Biba Caggiano's
"Biba's Northern Italian Cooking".

DaleW

Chuck, I'll try to remember to post, but am fighting the flu and it
might be a couple days. I beleive the recipe came from Biba Caggiano's
"Biba's Northern Italian Cooking".

Chuck Reid

Greetings Dale;

Your descriptions of Betsy's cooking has often elicited drools in this
quarter. My preferred Osso Buco to date has been that offered by Marcella
Hazan in "The Classic Italian Cook Book". I've snooped the net and have not
been able to find the "Trieste" variation of which you spoke. Pretty
please, would you favour us with the recipe.

Thanks and regards,
--
Chuck
So much wine; So little time!

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"> Betsy made a variation of the latter, osso buco Trieste (adds garlic
> and anchovies), last week.>

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Tom S > wrote:

>OK, but can you describe it? What color was the sauce?

Veal shanks in tomato, herbs, and veggies. This makes a rather red
sauce much like a vegetable stew.

Dimitri

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Tom S > wrote:

>OK, but can you describe it? What color was the sauce?

Veal shanks in tomato, herbs, and veggies. This makes a rather red
sauce much like a vegetable stew.

Dimitri

Ed Rasimus

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:03:24 GMT, "Tom S" >
wrote:

>"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
>> Sounds weird to have white wine with veal. I usually have something
>> like syrah with osso buco. Isn't it too greasy for a white?!

>IMO Syrah is too heavy to accompany osso buco. Likewise Cabernet. If you
>insist on a red, I think Chianti/Sangiovese or Burgundy/Pinot Noir would be
>more appropriate. Possibly a Valpolicella (to bring this back on topic).
>Veal is more delicate than beef and the wine shouldn't stomp all over the
>meat.
>
>BTW, osso buco isn't greasy if it's prepared properly, and it goes well with
>big, rich whites. Although I usually serve the same Chardonnay with it that
>goes into its preparation, a dry Austrian Gewurtztraminer (or the like)
>would be nice too. No NZ Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre with this dish please!
>
>Tom S

I've been watching the discussion drift from Valpolicella to the
nuances of Osso Buco. I put my bid in for a fruity red like Pinot Noir
and we've had suggestions ranging from Syrah to Chianti to Cabernet.
Then we got the strong regional vote for white to accompany veal
traditionally and Piedmont veal demands Piedmont white wine. Which
then diverged into whether there is or is not a lot or a little tomato
in Osso Buco preparation.

So, anal-retentive inquisitive that I am, I went to Epicurious and
checked out a half-dozen recipes for Osso Buco ranging as far back as
1960 and from cookbooks, Gourmet, Bon Appetit and other sources.

What I found:

Osso Buco almost always includes some tomato input, but it ranges from
fresh, chopped, drained seeded Romas to canned stewed/chopped tomato
to even a dollop of tomato paste/puree. But, all have some tomato to
eventually break down in the cooking and provide the consistent color.

All the recipes had white wine in the preparation along with some
stock--usually beef, but occasionally chicken (and for the purists,
veal stock).

But, the newest recipes, coincidentally from a book titled "Cooking
With Wine" dated 2001 had these two paragraphs regarding the wine:

"Wine for Cooking Gavi di Gavi (sometimes labeled as cortese di Gavi)
is Piedmont's best-known white wine. Gavi is no longer inexpensive,
however, and oyu might do just as well with an Italian chardonnay,
which is rapidly supplanting cortese as the most widely planted white
grape in Piedmont.

"Wine to Drink When osso buco reaches the table, an authoritative red
from Piedmont is in order — a mature barolo or barbaresco, whose
bouquet and will match the complexity of this Italian classic."

And, I'll be satisfied with a Barbaresco as well....

Food pairing with wine Tom Wine 4 20-03-2006 04:43 AM
food and wine pairing question [email protected] Wine 12 10-09-2005 10:07 AM
Food/Wine pairing - Valpolicella Dick R. Wine 0 26-03-2005 06:10 PM
Wine/Food pairing... Max Mustermann Wine 23 07-10-2004 02:59 AM
Food and Wine Pairing Terry Wine 1 26-01-2004 09:45 PM