Anders Tørneskog

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
oups.com...
> Chuck, I'll try to remember to post, but am fighting the flu and it
> might be a couple days. I beleive the recipe came from Biba Caggiano's
> "Biba's Northern Italian Cooking".

So, we'll collectively drool in anticipation - and yes, that applies to any
of your food descriptions :-) Please, keep them coming!
Anders

DaleW

Ossobuco alla Triestina

1 cup chkn broth
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large onions, sliced thin
6 shanks, 2 inches thick
1 cup flour
1 cup white wine
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves chopped
3 anchovy filets, mashed
zest of 2 lemons

Melt butter w/oil in large casserole over med heat. When butter foams,
add onions, saute till pale yellow. Remove
Sprinkle shanks with flour. Add to casserole. Brown on all sides.
Season. Return onions. Add wine, cook till reduced by half. Add broth.
Cover, reduce heat. Simmer 1 1/2 hours, ore till meat falls off bone.
Stir in parsley, garlic, anchovies, and lemon zest. If too thin, remove
veal and boil uncovered for 10 minutes. If too thick, add a little more
broth. Taste and adjust seasoning.

ferrante formato

> But whereas France has produced grand whites in Alsace and the Loire
> for centuries, and even the grandest of them all in Burgundy, the
> serious whites in Italy are not as easy to name, and those few are of
> very recent "tradition". Friuli only a few decades ago produced mostly
> reds, and Campania was not known for ANY wine until recent times
> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France

Yes and not. You can not separate a wine from its land. Given this, a grand
wine is probably a good wine into a dominant culture.
France wines have been enjoyng a dominant culture for some centuries.
Wines in Campania have a longstanding tradition and -probably through the
Italian community in the United States of America -they are becoming part of
the present dominant culture.

Chuck Reid

Greetings Dale;

Many thanks for the recipe.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ossobuco alla Triestina
>
> 1 cup chkn broth
> 3 tablespoons butter
> 2 tablespoons olive oil
> 3 large onions, sliced thin
> 6 shanks, 2 inches thick
> 1 cup flour
> 1 cup white wine
> 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
> 2 garlic cloves chopped
> 3 anchovy filets, mashed
> zest of 2 lemons
>
> Melt butter w/oil in large casserole over med heat. When butter foams,
> add onions, saute till pale yellow. Remove
> Sprinkle shanks with flour. Add to casserole. Brown on all sides.
> Season. Return onions. Add wine, cook till reduced by half. Add broth.
> Cover, reduce heat. Simmer 1 1/2 hours, ore till meat falls off bone.
> Stir in parsley, garlic, anchovies, and lemon zest. If too thin, remove
> veal and boil uncovered for 10 minutes. If too thick, add a little more
> broth. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Anders Tørneskog

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
oups.com...
> Ossobuco alla Triestina

Filed - thanks
Anders

Tom S

"Chuck Reid" > wrote in message
> Greetings Dale;
>
> Your descriptions of Betsy's cooking has often elicited drools in this
> quarter.

And this as well. :^)

My preferred Osso Buco to date has been that offered by Marcella
> Hazan in "The Classic Italian Cook Book".

**YES**!!
That's the recipe I use, and it's _da _bomb_!

The only changes I make are omitting tying the meat with string, and
increasing the amounts of vegetables and herbs somewhat. I don't even add
Habanero - as I am wont to do with many (most?) other dishes.

Tom S

Tom S

"Chuck Reid" > wrote in message
> Greetings Dale;
>
> Your descriptions of Betsy's cooking has often elicited drools in this
> quarter.

And this as well. :^)

My preferred Osso Buco to date has been that offered by Marcella
> Hazan in "The Classic Italian Cook Book".

**YES**!!
That's the recipe I use, and it's _da _bomb_!

The only changes I make are omitting tying the meat with string, and
increasing the amounts of vegetables and herbs somewhat. I don't even add
Habanero - as I am wont to do with many (most?) other dishes.

Tom S

Tom S

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Tom S > wrote:
>>
>>OK, but can you describe it? What color was the sauce?

> Veal shanks in tomato, herbs, and veggies. This makes a rather red
> sauce much like a vegetable stew.

Aha! That's why you prefer it with a red wine. The Marcella Hazen recipe
is very different, and goes better with white wine because tomato isn't the
dominant note.

Tom S

ferrante formato

"Mike Tommasi" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:10:22 +0200, "ferrante formato"
> > wrote:
>
> >> But whereas France has produced grand whites in Alsace and the Loire
> >> for centuries, and even the grandest of them all in Burgundy, the
> >> serious whites in Italy are not as easy to name, and those few are of
> >> very recent "tradition". Friuli only a few decades ago produced mostly
> >> reds, and Campania was not known for ANY wine until recent times
> >> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France

> >Yes and not. You can not separate a wine from its land. Given this, a

grand
> >wine is probably a good wine into a dominant culture.
> >France wines have been enjoyng a dominant culture for some centuries.
> >Wines in Campania have a longstanding tradition and -probably through the
> >Italian community in the United States of America -they are becoming part

of
> >the present dominant culture.

> Alright, but we are talking about quality wines, and while winemaking
> has been going on for millennia in Campania, twenty years ago you
> would have had a hard time finding any good wine there, apart from a
> few exceptions like Mastroberardino. Twenty years ago nobody was
> talking about aglianico, and few people could have mentioned a single
> grape variety from the area. Lacryma Christi at the time made the
> (bad) reputation of Campania, and Taurasi was seen as a notable
> exception to the rule.
>
> Thankfully things have changed and last autumn while in Naples I was
> able to even enjoy some of the whites, though frankly I was not
> overwhelmed by any.
>
> But let's get back to the whites you mentioned, what did you mean by
> Grenache in Sardinia? ;-)
>
> Just rubbing it in, no harm intended...
>
> Cheers Ferrante.
>

> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

ferrante formato

twenty years ago you
> would have had a hard time finding any good wine there, apart from a
> few exceptions like Mastroberardino.

In early '70 Mastroberardino settled a wine-based scale economy based
upon a vinification procedure and vineyard style settled by Fiore
Bottiglieri, a graduate in Agriculture Sciences, and Luigi Ferrante,
founder and first headmaster of the "Scuola Enologica di Avellino" -School
of Enology in Avellino -. Fiore Bottiglieri had been working to prompt
Irpinia's vineyards to produce larger quantity of grape since 1930.

Mastroberardino has been happily sustaining this school and has been among
the promoters of the attribution of DOC labels to the vineyards in the
Avellino county.
Probably the very innovation introduced by Mastroberardino was the
conversion of a family-held activity into a worldwide commercial businness.
Probably by so doing some original features have been lost to market
specifications. In my opinion white wines in Irpinia are generally average
wines with some high ranking exceptions

When I told about Grenache, or Guernacha I had in mind the Guarnaccia ,
which in some
documents -such as this site -
http://www.obesiweb.it/ivitigni.htm

Is classified as white. If this is wrong, thanks for your correction
ciao
--Ferrante

http://www.italystore.com/eng/sardegna.html

http://www.vinealia.org/website.asp?id=1434
> Just rubbing it in, no harm intended...
>
> Cheers Ferrante.
>

> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Ken Blake

In news Tom S > typed:

> "Chuck Reid" > wrote in message
>> Greetings Dale;
>>
>> Your descriptions of Betsy's cooking has often elicited drools
>> in
>> this quarter.

> And this as well. :^)
>
> My preferred Osso Buco to date has been that offered by
> Marcella
>> Hazan in "The Classic Italian Cook Book".

Me too, but my wife and are big fans of almost all her recipes.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Food pairing with wine Tom Wine 4 20-03-2006 04:43 AM
food and wine pairing question [email protected] Wine 12 10-09-2005 10:07 AM
Food/Wine pairing - Valpolicella Dick R. Wine 0 26-03-2005 06:10 PM
Wine/Food pairing... Max Mustermann Wine 23 07-10-2004 02:59 AM
Food and Wine Pairing Terry Wine 1 26-01-2004 09:45 PM