Old 24-03-2005, 04:29 PM
MikeD

Default Burlwood Cellars

ALDI Stores USA is now stocking Burlwood Cellars wines. These are
produced buy E&J Gallo for the Hotel and Restaurant industry.

I've not tried them yet, but ALDI has five varietals: Cabernet
Sauvignon, Merlot, White Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay, all
at $5.99 per bottle. I picked up a bottle of 2003 Merlot and 2003
Sauvignon Blanc to review for the web site, and was curious if anyone
has ever tried these before?

Thanks,

Mike

--

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

Old 24-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Steve Hehr

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:29:36 GMT, MikeD wrote:

ALDI Stores USA is now stocking Burlwood Cellars wines. These are
produced buy E&J Gallo for the Hotel and Restaurant industry.

I've not tried them yet, but ALDI has five varietals: Cabernet
Sauvignon, Merlot, White Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay, all
at $5.99 per bottle. I picked up a bottle of 2003 Merlot and 2003
Sauvignon Blanc to review for the web site, and was curious if anyone
has ever tried these before?

Thanks,

Mike

I first had a glass of the Burlwood Merlot several years ago at a
local German restaurant, and liked it quite a bit. When Aldi's opened
nearby last year, I bought some and was less impressed (I'm not saying
the wine wasn't necessarily as good, maybe my preference just changed
in the interim). For an inexpensive Merlot, I currently really like
the ForestVille, which was recommended by someone else in this
newsgroup.

--
Steve Hehr

To send me email, replace the "OUT" in my address with its opposite.

Old 29-03-2005, 08:14 PM
sisyphus

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:29:36 GMT, MikeD wrote:

ALDI Stores USA is now stocking Burlwood Cellars wines. These are
produced buy E&J Gallo for the Hotel and Restaurant industry.

I've not tried them yet, but ALDI has five varietals: Cabernet
Sauvignon, Merlot, White Zinfandel, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay, all
at $5.99 per bottle. I picked up a bottle of 2003 Merlot and 2003
Sauvignon Blanc to review for the web site, and was curious if anyone
has ever tried these before?

Thanks,

Mike

I never cared for Burlwood. When I lived in the Caribbean, we sold it
as a catering wine option. I believe it was created to be sold as
such( also house wine). Because it was produced specifically for the
Hotel and Restaurant Industry there was no way for the consumer to
gauge a price for the wine, as it was not available retail.

I believe we purchased for $3.99 and sold for $25 as our least
expensive catering option.
Old 29-03-2005, 08:38 PM
jcoulter

sisyphus
[email protected]
..com wrote in
:

I never cared for

Burlwood. When I lived in
the Caribbean, we sold it
as a catering wine

option.

Sisyphus is being kind.
Burlwood was the house
wine a friend's club, It
was in a word Burlywood
with little grape.

Old 29-03-2005, 09:07 PM
sisyphus

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:40:43 GMT, "Richard Neidich"
wrote:

Nice Markup...guess you had a captive audience. :-(

"sisyphus" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

There were other options. As I said it was the least expensive option.
The other offerings were, shall we say, better bargains. Like
everything in life, the least expensive choice is usually not the
best.

Old 29-03-2005, 09:10 PM
sisyphus

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:38:57 -0600, jcoulter
wrote:

sisyphus
[email protected]
.com wrote in
:

I never cared for

Burlwood. When I lived in
the Caribbean, we sold it
as a catering wine

option.

Sisyphus is being kind.
Burlwood was the house
wine a friend's club, It
was in a word Burlywood
with little grape.

....and that wood does not resemble oak. As I recall it was very
vegetal.

Old 29-03-2005, 09:19 PM
MikeD

sisyphus wrote:
[...]

You hit the nail on the head. One of the primary reasons for starting
my wine reviews "at the bottom" is because MANY of these wines are out
there with no reviews or information for the consumer. Google for
Burlwood Cellars and you'll find a list of restaurants selling these
wines for $20+/bottle to customers who most likely have no idea. I paid
$5.99 a bottle. Yes, I know restaurants take a high markup on wine, but
400%? If consumers knew better that wouldn't be the case IMHO.

--

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

Old 29-03-2005, 09:41 PM
potatoman

MikeD wrote:

Yes, I know restaurants take a high markup on wine, but
400%? If consumers knew better that wouldn't be the case IMHO.

I noticed a local restaurant where I frequent selling Yellowtail Shiraz
for something like $6 a glass/$15 a bottle. Earlier that very day I had
just happened to notice the same exact wine at a local store for $3.30 a
bottle. They probably paid less than $3 a bottle and are charging twice
that for a glass. I had never really thought about the markup until I
saw that. It wasn't really a 'wine' type restaurant, but still...markup
is insane.

Roessler Cellars Kamakazee Wine 0 09-04-2008 10:45 PM
Wine cellars jhill999 Wine 5 06-04-2007 06:27 AM
-----------WINE CELLARS------------------- pmorgan Wine 2 02-03-2007 03:08 AM
Burlwood Cellars MikeD Wine 0 24-03-2005 04:29 PM
Wine Cellars - Chuck Reid Wine 4 16-11-2004 06:10 AM