DaleW

Default TN: Many many wines in Red Hook

A group gathered Monday night in the Red Hook/"Columbia Waterfront"
area of Brooklyn to welcome Robin Garr and Mary Johnson to NY. Brad
Kane arranged a nice back room at Bouillabaisse 126. Nice service,
friendly group. And the wines:

2000 Alvear En Ramo Fino
I'm not a big dry sherry person, but even so the nasty blast I got from
first whiff was shocking. Palate actually was rather neutral. Then
someone mentioned that one of the bottles was off, and I gave another
try from a frsh bottle. Ok, still a volatile nose- the word "paint
thinner" was being thrown around a lot,. but better. Some nuttiness
underneath the solvent. Not my cuppa, a C- (first bottle was a solid
D), but I'll admit my anti-fino prejudices.
..
2002 Alice & Oliver de Moor Bourgogne Aligote
Light and easy, but some underlying stones and good acidity. Not
compelling, but pleasant enough. B/B-

2001 Francoise and Denis Clair "Les Murgers des Dents de Chien"
St.-Aubin 1er Cru.
A wine I've posted plenty of notes about. Some oak, but
well-integrated. The ripeness of the pear fruit makes it almost seem
off-dry, but there is some clean acidity balancing that. Good finish.
When my delicious seafood chowder came I went back for more of this.
B+/A- (with obvious grade inflation for my own wine)

2003 Verget "Cuv=E9e de la Butte" Chablis
All about fatness and wood. Lots of new oak here. The redeeming feature
is a somewhat minerally finish, but this isn't for me. B-

2004 de Parenchon Bordeaux Clairette
This makes me reach for the Chablis. Just off-dry, watermelon flavored,
blech. C

There was a corked CdP Blanc, but I didn't care enough to note
producer.

2002 Ravines Riesling (Finger Lakes)
I admit to not being the greatest Finger Lakes fan, but Joe Moryl
always manages to bring good ones. Dry with good fruit ripeness, maybe
not a showpiece of Riesling typicity but a very nice wine. B+

2002 Luneau-Papin "Le L d'Or" Muscadet
Yum yum yum. Some chalk and seabreeze, great acidic backbone, fresh
citrus and apple fruit with a little yeast and a lot of rocks on the
finish. A-

1997 Ferret "Cuv=E9e Hors Classe" Pouilly-Fuisse
By the time it got to me the over-the-hill tag was being tossed around,
fair amount of vinuous derision. Definitely oxidized, and past it's
prime. But not quite as bad as the chatter. A bit too much oak, but
there's a hint of some nice macIntosh apple fruit, and an interesting
flintiness to the finish. Wish I'd tried couple years ago. B-/C+

On to the reds

1998 Rapsani Reserve Epilegmenos
This Greek wine got a lot of approval around the table, but it didn't
ring my bells. Soft and a tad hot, a little oak, some tarry aromas, but
I found it a bit short. B-

2002 Catherine and Pierre Breton Bourgueil Clos Senechal
This I expected to like a lot. There was a slightly weird note here
(Jeff pegged it as green olives, not sure that's exactly what I'd call
it, I think I'll stick with weird). Too bad, nice structure underneath.
B-

Next up, a pair of magnums:
1991 Pesquera (Ribera del Duero)
This earned catcalls for oakiness from some, but I actually liked.
Leather, easrth and tobacco around some dark fruit. B+

2003 Moulin-a-Vent (Pacalet?)
Kirsch/cooked cherry fruit, very ripe, definitely has some love
handles, I'll stick to '02 Beaujolais. B-

Next, a mystery wine brownbagged:
Soft, yet with a prickliness (secondary fermentation?). Stewed-fruity
nose. Dark fruit, attenuated finish. I'm guessless. It's the
Smith-Berry Norton (from Kentucky, but using Arkansas fruit). I love
Wendell Berry as a poet (Manifesto- Mad Farmer Liberation Front is one
of my favorite contemporary poems), I'll forgive him his vinuous
trespasses. C

1999 Chatenoy Menetou-Salon Rouge
Lighter bodied, I assume Pinot but am told its Cab Franc.
Cherry/raspberry fruit, some earth and mushrooms. Pleasant enough. B/B-

1995 Mastroberardino "Radici" Taurasi (Campania)
Very tight upon opening, gave it a couple hours before it went around.
Warm red fruit, some oak, a bit of tar and mushrooms. Still needs time.
B (apparently Mastroberardino changed importer/distributor, and '95 &
'97 are being dumped for $20 on East Coast)

2000 Treanna (Central Coast, CA)
Apparently I spilled some of the berry sauce from my duck on my notes
here. Unremarkable meritage from memory, at least without the
dilution/greenness of some 2000s (though I'm probably extrapolating
from Napa, oops). B/B-

(food note: Lots of folks got the bouillabaisse or other fish dishes,
guessing it would come during the reds I ordered the duck. Nice sides,
but the roast duck could have been better seasoned, and it was a bit
overdone. Next time, seafood).

1998 Ogier Cote-Rotie
Yippee-yi-yo. This is good. Plenty of deep rich blackberry Syrah fruit
and a dash of pepper. Needs time, but very tasty. Develops some bacon
fat/game aromas in the glass. A

1999 Les Pallieres Gigondas
Very nice. Lots of dark berry fruit, Rhonish nose of herbs and
underbrush.Ripe but not overfat, some nice earth and cedar with the
Provencal herbs. A-/B+

1996 Rene Renou "Cuvee Anne" Bonnezeaux
Much better than the '96 Renou Beuregard I had at mini-offline in
Laguna last month. Honey, apricots, superripe nectarines. Good acidity,
good finish. B+/A-

1999 Texier Noble Rot
Botrytized Chardonnay. Others like more than me, I find it charmless
next to the Bonnezeaux. B-

1960 Fonseca Vintage Port
I had been holding this birthyear port for a couple years. When I
discovered Jay Miller and Jeff Grossman were also '60s, I vowed to open
one offline when we were together ( and when it wasn't August or
something). Jeff took on the challenge of getting out the old squishy
cork. Definitely showing it's age, but still rather graceful, with
fully resolved tannins. Showing a bit too much heat for some. Not a
big port, showing mostly plummy fruit, with just a hint of chocolate.
Probably realistically a B on my scale, but I'll give a B+/A- because
it's a birthyear wine. Kevin, who joined the party late, turned out to
be a 1960 babe too, so that was a bonus.

Kevin brought a 1985 Crusius Traiser Rotenfels Riesling Spatlese
(Nahe). After two botrytis stickies and a VP, my tastebuds were shot,
but this held some interest despite some oxidation. B

Good night, good people. The problem with these big offlines of course
is that you can only really converse with a few, but I enjoyed my
neighbors.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

xenophobe

quintessential tripe. this may say it all when it comes to why we trolls
can't resist the temptation.

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

2003 Verget "Cuvée de la Butte" Chablis
All about fatness and wood. Lots of new oak here. The redeeming feature
is a somewhat minerally finish, but this isn't for me. B-

2004 de Parenchon Bordeaux Clairette
This makes me reach for the Chablis. Just off-dry, watermelon flavored,
blech. C

There was a corked CdP Blanc, but I didn't care enough to note
producer.

2002 Ravines Riesling (Finger Lakes)
I admit to not being the greatest Finger Lakes fan, but Joe Moryl
always manages to bring good ones. Dry with good fruit ripeness, maybe
not a showpiece of Riesling typicity but a very nice wine. B+

2002 Luneau-Papin "Le L d'Or" Muscadet
Yum yum yum. Some chalk and seabreeze, great acidic backbone, fresh
citrus and apple fruit with a little yeast and a lot of rocks on the
finish. A-

1997 Ferret "Cuvée Hors Classe" Pouilly-Fuisse
[...]

Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:

> 2003 Verget "Cuvée de la Butte" Chablis
> All about fatness and wood. Lots of new oak here. The redeeming feature
> is a somewhat minerally finish, but this isn't for me. B-

Crap!! I bought this on the recommendation of some toady at
Sam's...grrr. Do you think it'll ever integrate, or should I foist it
off on some CalChard lover instead?

> 1998 Ogier Cote-Rotie
> Yippee-yi-yo. This is good. Plenty of deep rich blackberry Syrah fruit
> and a dash of pepper. Needs time, but very tasty. Develops some bacon
> fat/game aromas in the glass. A

One of my favorite N. Rhone producers, and a great year in Cote-Rotie.
Glad to hear it's showing so well.

> 1999 Les Pallieres Gigondas
> Very nice. Lots of dark berry fruit, Rhonish nose of herbs and
> underbrush.Ripe but not overfat, some nice earth and cedar with the
> Provencal herbs. A-/B+

Hmmm. I think that I recently saw this (probably later vintage) at
Kermit's retail outlet. Sounds like I'll have to give it a try.

It sounds like a great evening, Dale. Thanks for the notes.

Mark Lipton
DaleW

Mark,
others always like Verget better than I do. The only Verget I;ve really
liked was a simple Bourgogne-Chitry. Most of the "better" bottlings see
a lot of oak from what I can tell. Combined with '03 heat......But I
posted this on Robin's board too, if other attendees have different
opinions I'll report back (my neighbors at table felt way I did, we'll
see what others thought).

The Pallieres was good, but at $25+ pushing the Gigondas value window
(I looked at winesearcher this AM!). '98 Ogier didn't show up at all.

xenophobe

"chain, chain, chain, CAHAAAAIN ........."

"chain of tooOOOOls .... "

(with apologies to aretha)

"Redhart" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
> Probably realistically a B on my scale, but I'll give a B+/A- because
> it's a birthyear wine. Kevin, who joined the party late, turned out to
> be a 1960 babe too, so that was a bonus.
>
> Kevin brought a 1985 Crusius Traiser Rotenfels Riesling Spatlese
> (Nahe). After two botrytis stickies and a VP, my tastebuds were shot,
> but this held some interest despite some oxidation. B
>
> Good night, good people. The problem with these big offlines of course
> is that you can only really converse with a few, but I enjoyed my
> neighbors.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Sean E. Slindee

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> DaleW wrote:
> >
> > 2003 Verget "Cuvée de la Butte" Chablis
> > All about fatness and wood. Lots of new oak here. The redeeming feature
> > is a somewhat minerally finish, but this isn't for me. B-

> Crap!! I bought this on the recommendation of some toady at
> Sam's...grrr. Do you think it'll ever integrate, or should I foist it
> off on some CalChard lover instead?

Mark...You can certainly foist this wine off on me! Sounds wonderful!

Sean

Mark Lipton

Sean E. Slindee wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>
>>DaleW wrote:
>>
>>>2003 Verget "Cuvée de la Butte" Chablis
>>>All about fatness and wood. Lots of new oak here. The redeeming feature
>>>is a somewhat minerally finish, but this isn't for me. B-

>>Crap!! I bought this on the recommendation of some toady at
>>Sam's...grrr. Do you think it'll ever integrate, or should I foist it
>>off on some CalChard lover instead?

> Mark...You can certainly foist this wine off on me! Sounds wonderful!

Sean,
Come visit us in Indiana (after our return in June) and I'll open it
for you, I promise! ;-)

Mark Lipton
DaleW

A few things I picked up from other participants:
Further identification:
Verget 2003 "Caniculus" Chablis "Cuv=E9e de la Butte"
The NV Smith-Berry Norton was the Reserve (Robin says the regular was
better)
The producer on the Beaujolais was Christine Pacalet (there are
apparently several Pacalets)

Also, the Alvear Sherry was a true curiosity, a Montilla, Pedro
Ximenez , vinified bone-dry. The Texier "Noble Rot" is from
"somewhere in Burgundy" (as that's not exactly kosher, only permitted
to have a generic "France" appellation).

DaleW

More errata:
My error, the Pesquera was the Reserva, not the regular Crianza
bottling.
I was right, the Menetou-Salon is Pinot Noir.
Others like the Breton much more than I did.

Grilling meat hook isw General Cooking 18 01-11-2014 06:07 AM
what is hook cheese ??? CMC Historic 24 19-04-2011 08:08 AM
Chefs off the hook! notbob General Cooking 20 14-11-2008 09:08 PM
Don't let Wal-Mart off the hook! Writerosity Vegan 2 03-11-2008 03:11 AM
Japanese tea ceremony - what's the big hook ? Andy Dingley Tea 0 08-01-2004 01:20 AM