Richard Neidich

Default Morgan Gamay, Guy Breton

This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine. From
Burg the staff at restaurant said.

I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I was
wrong? :-(

Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not the
type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.

jcoulter

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in
ink.net:

> This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine.
> From Burg the staff at restaurant said.
>
> I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I
> was wrong? :-(
>
> Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not
> the type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.

Morgon is Beaujolais and Gamay is the grape for that area.
jcoulter

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in
ink.net:

> This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine.
> From Burg the staff at restaurant said.
>
> I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I
> was wrong? :-(
>
> Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not
> the type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.

forgot to add, Beaujolais for some reason unkown to me is labeled
Burgundy from time to time
Richard Neidich

It was this time as well...

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>
>> This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine.
>> From Burg the staff at restaurant said.
>>
>> I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I
>> was wrong? :-(
>>
>> Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not
>> the type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.
>>

> forgot to add, Beaujolais for some reason unkown to me is labeled
> Burgundy from time to time

DaleW

Beaujolais is the southern end of the department of Burgundy, so
geographically it is Burgundy. While other areas in Burgundy but
outside the C=F4te d'Or (C=F4te Chalonnais, M=E2con, Chablis) use the same
grapes as the C=F4te d'Or (please note I know there are a few exceptions-
Grande Ordinaire, Aligote, Passetoutgrains, as well as "sports" such as
Gouges' NSG), the term Burgundy commonly includes them, but Beaujolais
reds are Gamay they're usually in own classification.

Michael Pronay

"DaleW" > wrote:

> Beaujolais is the southern end of the department of Burgundy, so
> geographically it is Burgundy.

<nitpicking> There is no département "Bourgogne", only a "région"
Bourgogne, comprising the départements "Côte d'Or", "Yonne"
(Chablis), Nièvre, and Saône-et-Loire (part of Beaujolais).

The major part of Beaujolais, however, is grown in the département
"Rhône", part of the région "Rhône Alpes".

The administrative entity "Bourgogne" does not equal what is
called "Bourgogne viticole" (winegrowing Burgundy).

As to the AOC Bourgogne, the wines entitled to the AOCs of
Brouilly, Côtes de Brouilly, Chénas, Chiroubles, Fleurie,
Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin-à-Vent, and Saint-Amour (i.e. 9 of the 10
Crus in Beaujolais) can in theory apply for the AOC "Bourgogne"
(in that case losing their cru AOC, so nobody does it, of course):

<http://www.inao.gouv.fr/public/produ...p?comiteNat=1&
id_txt=396>

=

<http://snipurl.com/dezc>

M.
Richard Neidich

So, is Morgan Village a Beaujolais?

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "DaleW" > wrote:
>
>> Beaujolais is the southern end of the department of Burgundy, so
>> geographically it is Burgundy.

> <nitpicking> There is no département "Bourgogne", only a "région"
> Bourgogne, comprising the départements "Côte d'Or", "Yonne"
> (Chablis), Nièvre, and Saône-et-Loire (part of Beaujolais).
>
> The major part of Beaujolais, however, is grown in the département
> "Rhône", part of the région "Rhône Alpes".
>
> The administrative entity "Bourgogne" does not equal what is
> called "Bourgogne viticole" (winegrowing Burgundy).
>
> As to the AOC Bourgogne, the wines entitled to the AOCs of
> Brouilly, Côtes de Brouilly, Chénas, Chiroubles, Fleurie,
> Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin-à-Vent, and Saint-Amour (i.e. 9 of the 10
> Crus in Beaujolais) can in theory apply for the AOC "Bourgogne"
> (in that case losing their cru AOC, so nobody does it, of course):
>
> <http://www.inao.gouv.fr/public/produ...p?comiteNat=1&
> id_txt=396>
>
> =
>
> <http://snipurl.com/dezc>
>
> M.

DaleW

Yes Dick, Morgan is one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais.

Michael, thanks for correction. I knew I should be careful re use of
French administrative terms such as Department without a reference in
front of me!

Richard Neidich

Well, I dislike the Neauveaus...but I did find this wine interesting.

"DaleW" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes Dick, Morgan is one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais.
>
> Michael, thanks for correction. I knew I should be careful re use of
> French administrative terms such as Department without a reference in
> front of me!

Max

For some decades it has been conventional for Anglophone wine writers
to group Beaujolais wines in with the Burgundies, and then explain the
distinction. Scrupulous US restaurant wine lists tend to segregate
them. The gross classification of a Beaujolais as "Burgundy Wine" may
be required by US import laws, or marketing convenience, or a desperate
effort to simplify things for an impatient emerging market that
sometimes even asks producers to adjust their wine labels to its
prejudices rather than vice versa.

-- Max

Anders Tørneskog

"Richard Neidich" > skrev i melding
nk.net...
> Well, I dislike the Neauveaus...but I did find this wine interesting.

Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most
storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais. Up to 10 years, I've heard. The B.
Nouveau (spelling again :-) is not wine - it is grape juice with alcohol...,
unfinished wine so to speak...
Anders

Ken Blake

In oups.com,
DaleW > typed:

> Yes Dick, Morgan is one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais.

I hate to correct spelling in newsgroups, but when it's the name
of a wine...

That's "Morgon."

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> Michael, thanks for correction. I knew I should be careful re
> use of
> French administrative terms such as Department without a
> reference in
> front of me!

Timothy Hartley

In message >
"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> "Richard Neidich" > skrev i melding
> nk.net...
> > Well, I dislike the Neauveaus...but I did find this wine interesting.
> >

> Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most
> storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais.

Some people would say that good Moulin pipped even good Morgon for keeping
though in January 2004 I drank a 1985 Morgon which was wonderful.

Timothy Hartley
Mark Lipton

Timothy Hartley wrote:

>>Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most
>>storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais.

> Some people would say that good Moulin pipped even good Morgon for keeping
> though in January 2004 I drank a 1985 Morgon which was wonderful.

You echo my own thoughts, Timothy. I think that, historically, M-a-V
was viewed as being the most serious and ageworthy Cru, with Morgon a
close second. However, the rarity of good M-a-V has perhaps damaged its
reputation in recent years/decades.

Mark Lipton

p.s. Whose '85 did you have?

p.p.s. When I was visiting Beaujolais in '01, a vigneron there told me
of recently opening a '47 Fleurie that he said was delicious and still
alive.

Michael Pronay

"Max" > wrote:

> For some decades it has been conventional for Anglophone wine
> writers to group Beaujolais wines in with the Burgundies, and
> then explain the distinction.

That's not an idea of Anglosaxon writers, that's official French wine
law. Beaujolais is part of the entitiy "Bourgogne viticole" (as
opposed to "Bourgogne administrative"). In the official INAO harvest
statistics, Beaujolais figures under "Bourgogne", of course.
"Bourgogne" in this statistics is subdivided into:

- Appellations régionales
- Région de Chablis
- Côte d'Or: Côte de Nuits
- Grand crus de la Côte de Nuits
- Côte d'Or: Côte de Beaune
- Grands crus de la Côte de Beaune
- Côte Chalonnaise
- Maconnais
- Beaujolais

(N.B.: This is over 20 years old; possibly others have crept in
because of the creation of new appellations.)

M.
Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> p.p.s. When I was visiting Beaujolais in '01, a vigneron there
> told me of recently opening a '47 Fleurie that he said was
> delicious and still alive.

I a recent issue of "Revue du Vin de France" Michel Bettane tasted
several Cru vintages back to 1929, iirc, and all except one was
phantastic.

M.
Emery Davis

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:38:05 GMT, "Anders T=F8rneskog" <sredna.goksenrot@i2=
c.ten> said:

]=20
] "Richard Neidich" > skrev i melding=20
] nk.net...
] > Well, I dislike the Neauveaus...but I did find this wine interesting.
] >
] Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most=20
] storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais. Up to 10 years, I've heard. The B.=
=20
] Nouveau (spelling again :-) is not wine - it is grape juice with alcohol.=
...,=20
] unfinished wine so to speak...

Hi Anders,

Certainly a Morgon from a good producer like Jacques Trichard, in=20
a good year, will go longer than 10 years.

These have (as has been pointed out) nothing to do with B. Nouveau,
although I am not in the group that _detests_ BN, I've had some pleasant
quaffs of it with a salad, outside on a sunny day.

The ageability of Morgon is so culturally installed that there is even
a slang verb, "morgonner", which means to grow softer and more
beautiful with age. I have heard it said of Catherine Deneuve:
"Elle a bien morgonn=E9..." (I agree.)

-E
--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Max Hauser

"Michael Pronay" in ...
> "Max" > wrote:
>
>> For some decades it has been conventional for Anglophone
>> wine writers to group Beaujolais wines in with the Burgundies,
>> and then explain the distinction.

> That's not an idea of Anglosaxon writers

I'm sorry if I imparted that mistaken impression. I referred to actual
practices in US wine writing (in context of comments by jcoulter, Neidich,
and DaleW), not to their origins, or to France. (Now don't cross-examine me
on redirection please, Hr. Advokat Prónay! :-)

Anyway it's a point of ongoing confusion in the US because of inconsistent
use of "Burgundy," even without the further complication that cheap red
wines there also formerly used the "genre" Burgundy label.

-- Max

Timothy Hartley

In message >
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Timothy Hartley wrote:

Whose '85 did you have?

Roland Petit‘s — from the Domaine de Rochebonne

Timothy Hartley

[TN] '07 Breton Morgon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 27-04-2012 03:54 AM
Goodby Harry Morgan Pico Rico[_2_] General Cooking 0 08-12-2011 12:21 AM
TN: '98 Morgan PN, '90 Vieux Donjon Mark Lipton Wine 0 22-10-2006 05:15 AM
TN: '00 Breton Les Picasses Jim Wine 2 30-01-2006 10:43 PM
Captain Morgan Spiced Rum mirror Nostalgia Restaurants 0 14-01-2004 01:36 PM