Default '01 Montelena Estate

Has anyone had this yet and what do you think about it? WS rated low,
Parker likes it and I have always thought even in a bad year Montelena will
make when of the best ones of the group.

Look for your thoughts,

I visited a local retailed who was tasting 2001 and 2002 California
Cabs this weekend, including the 2001 Chateau Montelena Estate Cab.
This was a standup tasting where you taste the wines one after another
with rather small pours. They had 12 different cabs. My notes for the
Montelena we dark, garnet around the edges, red cherry and oak on
nose, big red cherry and earthy fruit, solid acid, hard tannins, long
finish with both fruit and tannins on the finish, elegant but tight,
needs lots of time, rating 87-92.

It was good, but I was frankly a little disappointed and expected more
for the price ($110). I liked the 2002 Caymus Special Select ($129,
rating 90-95) better, and I thought the 2002 Chappellet ($37, rating
87-92) and 2001 Silverado ($32, rating 87-92) were better buys.

------------------------------------
Mike's Wine Blog
http://mikeswinecellar.blogspot.com

Redhart

Pure ****.
> wrote in message
news
> Has anyone had this yet and what do you think about it? WS rated low,
> Parker likes it and I have always thought even in a bad year Montelena
> will make when of the best ones of the group.
>
> Look for your thoughts,

Redhart

Pure ****.
news