FoodBanter.com

-   -   Robert Parker & Charlie Rose (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/54070-robert-parker-charlie-rose.html)

Michael Pronay 16-02-2005 07:07 PM

Robert Parker & Charlie Rose

There is a transcript of the interview on the Parker board:

<http://fora.erobertparker.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/50464.html>

M.

Tom S 17-02-2005 07:05 AM

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> There is a transcript of the interview on the Parker board:

You miss the nuance of seeing Parker speak if you just read the transcript.
He's a pretty sharp guy, quite articulate, and passionate about fine wines.
Worth a look at the video.

Tom S

Michael Pronay 17-02-2005 10:39 AM

"Tom S" > wrote:

>> There is a transcript of the interview on the Parker board:

> You miss the nuance of seeing Parker speak if you just read the
> transcript. He's a pretty sharp guy, quite articulate, and
> passionate about fine wines. Worth a look at the video.

If you tell us where to get it in Europe, you're da man, man!

M.

Michael Pronay 17-02-2005 10:39 AM

Tom S 17-02-2005 03:16 PM

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Tom S" > wrote:
>
>>> There is a transcript of the interview on the Parker board:

>> You miss the nuance of seeing Parker speak if you just read the
>> transcript. He's a pretty sharp guy, quite articulate, and
>> passionate about fine wines. Worth a look at the video.

> If you tell us where to get it in Europe, you're da man, man!

Hmm, I doubt that you'll be seeing it on the air there anytime soon - but I
could burn off a copy and mail it to Ian for you folks in Europe to pass
around. It won't be PAL, so you'd have to play it on your computer.

Tom S

Richard Neidich 17-02-2005 03:29 PM

OK...what is PAL?
. ..

Ian Hoare 17-02-2005 06:20 PM

Salut/Hi Tom S,

le/on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:16:42 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>> You miss the nuance of seeing Parker speak if you just read the
>>> transcript. He's a pretty sharp guy, quite articulate, and
>>> passionate about fine wines. Worth a look at the video.

>> If you tell us where to get it in Europe, you're da man, man!

>Hmm, I doubt that you'll be seeing it on the air there anytime soon - but I
>could burn off a copy and mail it to Ian for you folks in Europe to pass
>around. It won't be PAL, so you'd have to play it on your computer.

Thanks, but in France, we use Secam! (s******).

however, with a DVD/CD player attached to the TV, I can read anything.

I'd be happy to burn off some other copies for people over here once I've
got it.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Ian Hoare 17-02-2005 06:20 PM

Salut/Hi Tom S,

Ian Hoare 17-02-2005 06:21 PM

If we've GOT to post upside down.

Like NSTC but for the rest of the world except France.

Salut/Hi Richard Neidich,

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Tom S 17-02-2005 09:02 PM

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> >It won't be PAL, so you'd have to play it on your computer.

> Thanks, but in France, we use Secam! (s******).

Hi, Ian -

I wasn't aware of that. I've heard of Secam, but wasn't aware that it was a
video broadcast standard. Just what the world needs: yet _another_ format!
:^(

> however, with a DVD/CD player attached to the TV, I can read anything.

Does "anything" include DVD-R disks? How about VCDs?

> I'd be happy to burn off some other copies for people over here once I've
> got it.

Excellent! Did you have any trouble reading those other DVDs I gave you?
IIRC, those were DVD-Rs.

Tom S

Bill Loftin 17-02-2005 09:20 PM

Tom S wrote:

> I wasn't aware of that. I've heard of Secam, but wasn't aware that it was a
> video broadcast standard. Just what the world needs: yet _another_ format!
>>however, with a DVD/CD player attached to the TV, I can read anything.

> Does "anything" include DVD-R disks? How about VCDs?
>>I'd be happy to burn off some other copies for people over here once I've
>>got it.

> Excellent! Did you have any trouble reading those other DVDs I gave you?
> IIRC, those were DVD-Rs.

There was a nice bit of humor by Parker when he was talking about his 100
point grading system and admitted that it was only 50 points. He said that he
created it so Americans could understand the numbers. The 100 point scale is
what we all have in school in America.

Michael Pronay 18-02-2005 10:35 AM

Ian Hoare > wrote:

> I'd be happy to burn off some other copies for people over here
> once I've got it.

Beautiful idea - thank you in advance!

M.

Tom S 18-02-2005 04:02 PM

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> Ian Hoare > wrote:
>
>> I'd be happy to burn off some other copies for people over here
>> once I've got it.

I have rendered it to VCD. All I have to do is mail it. :^)

Tom S

Michael Pronay 18-02-2005 04:21 PM

"Tom S" > wrote:

> I have rendered it to VCD. All I have to do is mail it. :^)

Hmm - sorry, what's VCD? If that's audible by 5 years old PCs, than
go ahead (use the reply button to get my e-mail-adress).

Well, wait a minute, how many megs in that file?

M.

Michael Pronay 18-02-2005 04:42 PM

Michael Pronay > wrote:

> "Tom S" > wrote:
>
>> I have rendered it to VCD. All I have to do is mail it. :^)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok, ok - I'm not a video/movie addict. Forgeddaboutit ...

M.

Cwdjrx _ 18-02-2005 10:19 PM

I did not capture that interview. Hopefully I can explain a little more
about the format issues, or perhaps confuse it even more, as someone
might want to record something concernig wine in the future.

First, I only record video to DVD. The price of blank discs has dropped
to well under US$1 when you buy them in 100 lots, and they hold over 4
GB, while a CD video format holds well under 1 GB. Double layer discs
now used for many commercial DVD movies are now available as blanks for
burning, but they still are expensive. You can get 1 hour of top quality
video on a single layer disc and about 2 hours on a double layer disc.
You can compress to double these playing times without much loss of
quality on many video sources.

First you have to capture the movie as a mpeg-2, and this requires
either a special internal or external capture device for the computer. I
use the ADS Instant DVD+DV device to capture either analog video or
digital video from camcorders. Your connect the audio and video outputs
of a satellite TV receiver or what other type of video device you have
to the input of the capture device. The capture device, if external,
connects to the computer with either a USB2 or firewire cable. You can
control capture of the video in many ways using the computer screen as a
monitor. The needed capture software comes with the capture device.
Assuming you have a DVD burner on the computer, you next need a program
to convert the mpeg-2 to standard DVD video format and to burn it to a
blank DVD. Both the Nero 6 ultra edition and Roxio 7 media program sets
will do this, and I have used both. Both allow you to select either PAL
or or the format we use in the US and in Japan. I would have no way of
knowing if a PAL DVD that I produced worked on a conventioal stand alone
DVD player, since mine plays only the standard US format. Also a few
DVDs recorded on a computer will not play on a few DVD players - mainly
older ones. For those who need to play TV in several formats, there are
converters for this and the price for them is much less than in the
past.

Commercial DVDs are another matter. Most are protected in several ways,
even if you have a disc in the right format for your DVD player and TV.
They often are encrypted to avoid both digital and analog duplication.
Also they have regional codes and will play only on DVD players sold in
a region with the same code. This allows movie companies great control
in how they release movies and DVDs in various countries. And of course
hackers have completely cracked all of this protection and supply free
programs to do it on a computer from servers out of the reach of
Hollywood lawyers.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Tom S 19-02-2005 07:59 PM

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Tom S" > wrote:
>
>> I have rendered it to VCD. All I have to do is mail it. :^)

> Hmm - sorry, what's VCD? If that's audible by 5 years old PCs, than
> go ahead (use the reply button to get my e-mail-adress).
>
> Well, wait a minute, how many megs in that file?

Way too many for me to e-mail it! About 400 MB. Not to worry though; a
copy on VCD is on its way to Ian as of yesterday.

Tom S

Tom S 19-02-2005 09:19 PM

"Cwdjrx _" > wrote in message
>I did not capture that interview. Hopefully I can explain a little more
> about the format issues, or perhaps confuse it even more, as someone
> might want to record something concernig wine in the future.

I have my own ways of doing that. I recorded the Parker interview from a
terrestrial HDTV broadcast onto the hard drive of my DVD deck, dubbed it to
a DVD-RAM disk, slotted that into my computer, rendered the VRO file to VCD
format and burned it to a CD. I _could_ have simply copied it to DVD-R in
the first place, but that may or may not have been readable in Europe. I
_know_ the VCD will play.

Tom S

Tom S 19-02-2005 09:30 PM

"Young Martle" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:02:47 GMT, "Tom S" >
> wrote:

>>I have rendered it to VCD. All I have to do is mail it. :^)
>>
>>Tom S
>>

> Tom
>
> Is it possible to upload it somewhere where we can download it. I'm
> guessing that it's about 500MBs?

That's about right, but I don't want to do anything that may encourage the
Feds to come knocking on my door.

I wonder if there's a Bit Torrent site carrying it?

Tom S

Cwdjrx _ 19-02-2005 10:43 PM

It was suggested to put the video up on the web. Like Tom, I would not
want to put a complete recent program up on a site for the general
public because of copyright issues-at least in the US. PBS might not be
as aggressive as movie companies, but I would not care to find out the
hard way. However this program could have easily been put up in the wmv
format to stream on the WMP player that nearly all recent computers
have, or that is free download. Since the important part of this
interview is audio, you could use a low bit rate of about 31 K
bits/second which would give a small, poor quality image, but decent
sound. The complete wmv you put up on the server probably would be under
20 MB in this case and would be viewable as streaming video that starts
nearly at once on even a good 56K dialup connection. The Windows Media
Encoder needed to generate the streaming wmv files for the web is a free
download from Microsoft. Real also has a free encoder for Real audio and
video files.

da bep 20-02-2005 08:23 PM

Michael Pronay wrote:
> There is a transcript of the interview on the Parker board:
>
> <http://fora.erobertparker.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/50464.html>
>
> M.

For those of you who have not seen the video, RMP Jr aka the Pope of
Parkton, seemed more relaxed then in his previous Rose interview as did
Rose who in the earlier interview almost wet his drawers over the 2000
Bordeaux vintage. Bob was always a subtle self promoter from the time I
first met him in 1978 or so, but I believe he has accepted his
noteriety more in the last few years then before and that was reflected
in the interview. He is no longer "the new kid on the block" fighting
for confirmation from the British wine community or the French
propriators/merchants. He has set a proactive style of
consumer-oriented criticism and created a possesed band of cork-dorks
and acolytes among consumers who are at best an annoyance to local
merchants. There are many who take the Wine Advocate scores and
commentary in the way it was meant as a guide, but there are those who
become frenetic in their search for 95+ point wines and insistence that
they imbibe nothing less rated. None of this seems to faze Parker, in
private, and as he showed in the Rose piece he still is mildly amused
by his ascendency to fame and fortune. How awful would our hobby be if
he were as heavy handed as the Wine Spectator or as dense to Americans
as Michael Broadbent?

GaDGJak 13-09-2012 08:57 PM

Yes, really. And I have faced it. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.

I apologize for flooding, just curious services

Eavesdrop with their Cell - Want to bug a room on the cheap? Learn the truth! Listen to logs 24/7.