DaleW

Default TN: Cahors and Cassoulet, plus '90 Meyney

Saturday I attended one of my friend Alex's "Table d'Hote" dinners (a
fundraiser at a local church). The theme was cassoulet, and Alex outdid
himself. I found myself in the winegeeky section of the room, and as we
feasted on duck, sausage and beans we had:

1996 Primo Palatum Cahors
I had picked this up for very cheap from PC. Dense thick wine, with
black plum and raisin fruit. Some sweet oak aromas, too. Still tannic.
I guess this isn't traditional Cahors, but it's fun and unusual. End of
bottle has some leather and smoke aromas. B+

2000 Ch. Lagrezette Cahors
A little rustic, with some VA at opening. Blow off quickly. Lighter
bodied than the Primo Palatum. Also on the black plum side of the fruit
spectrum. Needs a little time - tannins are a bit raspy. B/B-

1999 Meo-Camuzet Hospices de Beaune Pommard
This was served without a label, donor wanted us to guess. I made a
stab, guessing a Beaune 1er Cru. Not that far off, I was surprised I
was as close as I came (a good weekend for guessing for me), but
surprised when I saw producer. I think of Meo-Camuzet as very oaky, and
I didn't pick up any substantial new oak here. A ripe earthy Pinot
Noir, some slightly clunky tannins. But the truffle/mushroom/loam notes
are quite appealing, as is the dark cherry fruit. B/B+

NV Chandon Brut
A little yeast, a lot of apple fruit. A bit dull, but maybe just
overpowered by company. B-

Last night I couldn't wrestle up a dinner companion, with Betsy gone I
cooked a small steak (marinated in red wine and herbs, the marinate
then reduced and poured over meat), with some leftover pasta and some
salad. I decided if I had to eat my cooking, I'd reward myself
vinously. So I decanted the 1990 Meyney (St. Estephe), an old favorite.
Luscious blackberry and blackcurrant fruit, lots of tobacco and
cigarbox notes. A bit of earth and some light spice. A-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Bi!!

DaleW wrote:

> snip>
> Last night I couldn't wrestle up a dinner companion, with Betsy gone

> cooked a small steak (marinated in red wine and herbs, the marinate
> then reduced and poured over meat), with some leftover pasta and some
> salad. I decided if I had to eat my cooking, I'd reward myself
> vinously. So I decanted the 1990 Meyney (St. Estephe), an old

favorite.
> Luscious blackberry and blackcurrant fruit, lots of tobacco and
> cigarbox notes. A bit of earth and some light spice. A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Meyney has always been a favorite of mine and especially the 1990. I
have few left and a few of the 1989 which is a bit behind the '90 in
development. It's still not a bad QPR at about $30.00 for the 2000
vintage and the 89 and 90 are still available for under $50 if you
watch the auctions, etc.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Dale,

le/on 14 Feb 2005 13:32:55 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>Saturday I attended one of my friend Alex's "Table d'Hote" dinners (a
>fundraiser at a local church).

Hope all is well with them.

> I found myself in the winegeeky section of the room, and as we feasted on duck, sausage and beans we had:

Surprise surprise!

>1996 Primo Palatum Cahors

Primo Palatum is a very interesting idea. I'll leave it to Michael Tommasi
to tell you all about them (I don't remember the details, but was impressed
when I met some of the wines 6 years ago), but iirc, the people behind it
define exactly what they want to be done, using what grapes and techniques.

> Dense thick wine, with black plum and raisin fruit. Some sweet oak aromas, too. Still tannic.
>I guess this isn't traditional Cahors, but it's fun and unusual.

I wonder if it isn't in fact much closer to being traditional Cahors than
Lagrezette, which is all about image.

As it happens, I opened two bottles of 1994 Ch la Caminade Clos de la
Commandery on Friday, and they were showing very nicely indeed. I could have
chosen the '96 but reckoned it would be quite a long way off ready. However,
if I had been serving wine WITH a cassoulet, I might well have chosen the
more tannic wine, as cutting better through the richness of the dish. Of the
three wines you drank, which went best in your opinion?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
DaleW

"Meyney has always been a favorite of mine and especially the 1990. I
have few left and a few of the 1989 which is a bit behind the '90 in
development. It's still not a bad QPR at about $30.00 for the 2000
vintage and the 89 and 90 are still available for under $50 if you
watch the auctions, etc"

I personally would give a slight edge to the '89, but both are grand
(as are the '82 & '86).
I felt Meyney slipped after the '90- I have the '95, '96, '99 & '00,
bnut none compare with the '89 or '90.
I actually was down to one '90, but Sokolin had the '90 at $26 couple
weeks ago and I restocked.

DaleW

So Betsy came home from her retreat, made rack of lamb with a clove
sauce (that included white wine and worcestershire sauce!) for
Valentine's Day. The rest of the Meyney (recorked and refrigerated, not
rebottled) really shined - complex and rich.

Since she needed 2 tablespoons of white wine, and we're going west
tomorrow, I opened the cheapest white I had. The 2003 Castelvero
Cortese. I also had a glass- simple and clean, but a good deal at $7.

Bi!!

DaleW wrote:
> "Meyney has always been a favorite of mine and especially the 1990.

> have few left and a few of the 1989 which is a bit behind the '90 in
> development. It's still not a bad QPR at about $30.00 for the 2000
> vintage and the 89 and 90 are still available for under $50 if you
> watch the auctions, etc"
>
> I personally would give a slight edge to the '89, but both are grand
> (as are the '82 & '86).
> I felt Meyney slipped after the '90- I have the '95, '96, '99 & '00,
> bnut none compare with the '89 or '90.
> I actually was down to one '90, but Sokolin had the '90 at $26 couple
> weeks ago and I restocked.

Yes, in the long run the '89 will probably get the edge. Right now I
find the '89 just a tad rough and the fruit of the '90 really shines
through.

Bi!!

DaleW wrote:
> So Betsy came home from her retreat, made rack of lamb with a clove
> sauce (that included white wine and worcestershire sauce!) for
> Valentine's Day. The rest of the Meyney (recorked and refrigerated,

not
> rebottled) really shined - complex and rich.
>
> Since she needed 2 tablespoons of white wine, and we're going west
> tomorrow, I opened the cheapest white I had. The 2003 Castelvero
> Cortese. I also had a glass- simple and clean, but a good deal at $7.

I'm headed to Napa next Tuesday. We have a great week of tastings and
dinners lined up capped off with an invitation to dinner at Far
Niente's pre-release event next Friday before Premier Napa.

Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:

> Last night I couldn't wrestle up a dinner companion, with Betsy gone I
> cooked a small steak (marinated in red wine and herbs, the marinate
> then reduced and poured over meat), with some leftover pasta and some
> salad. I decided if I had to eat my cooking, I'd reward myself
> vinously. So I decanted the 1990 Meyney (St. Estephe), an old favorite.
> Luscious blackberry and blackcurrant fruit, lots of tobacco and
> cigarbox notes. A bit of earth and some light spice. A-

Ah, the '90 Meyney... Jean couldn't keep her hands off it long enough
for us to see it at this stage, but IMO it was the last great year for
Meyney (to date). One issue that you don't address is which wine you
preferred with the cassoulet. I've always liked a fair bit of tannin to
offset the fat content of the dish, but I'm always interested in others'
opinions.

Mark Lipton
Art Stratemeyer

>vinously. So I decanted the 1990 Meyney (St. Estephe), an old favorite.
>Luscious blackberry and blackcurrant fruit, lots of tobacco and
>cigarbox notes. A bit of earth and some light spice. A-

Hi Dale,

Betsy ( my Betsy that is ) and I are also fans of Meyney. Candidly
I've not uncorked any of my 89 or 90's yet since I'm one of those
wierd guys that like really mature Bordeaux's

I'd be curious as to where you think it is in life ??
My notes from way back when I bought it put 2005 as as the "start
drinking" date

Art Stratemeyer
=============================
http://www.stratsplace.com
A Community Celebration the Joy of Wine,Gardening and the Arts

Cellar! Wine Software
http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com
DaleW

Ian,
Sorry for late reply, just back from CA. I'd probably go with the Primo
Palatum as the best match for the cassoulet. My comment about it not
being traditional has to do with the new oak, which still rather
unintegrated (probably 6 or 7 years after release). I do admire M.
Copel's dedication to excellence, but his release prices are a bit
above my means ( I got his '96 Fronsac and the Cahors for about $6
each, which is a good deal).
best,

DaleW

Art,

I'd say you're right- it's just entering it's drinking window (as is
the '89). I feel pretty comfortable about drinking now and for next 10
years. Pushing to 30 years past vintage would PROBABLY be ok, but I
would rather be safe than sorry.