Cwdjrx _

Default TN Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou 1970

Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou 1970 has to be in the top 10, if not top 5 wines
of 1970 including the first growths. You probably would have to go back
to the 1961 to find a slighty better one. It is still deep colored with
only scant evidence of age. The balance is perfect. The bouquet is huge
with cassis, cedar, and complex spice notes. There is no need to swirl
and fuss with this wine. The bouquet jumps right out of the glass at
you. The finish is very long. This wine likely can not get any better
and it would be a shame to keep it too long. However I expect it to hold
several more years.

I served the wine in two glasses - a paper-thin Baccarat Brummel and a
very old antique from the Venice area. This antique glass is about as
elaborate as you see. The bowl is the shape of a very wide trumpet, is
very light pink, and glitters with tiny gold flakes. The stem has an
extremely detailed sea serpent coiled around it, complete with open
mouth and red tongue. However this made no difference. The wine tasted
and smelled equally good out of this and the more modern Baccarat. In
fact this wine probably would have tasted quite good out of a jelly jar
if an earthquake had just broken all of your good glasses. With a wine
of this quality, you just have to sit back and enjoy the show. It is the
type of wine that some chefs probably hate. It makes you lose interest
in the food that is served with it. Yes, the 1970 Latour, given enough
time, probably is a bit better.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.