Gil Morgenstern

Default Restaurant recommendations Madrid

Not sure this is the right group to ask, but am traveling to Madrid, Spain
next week and would be interested in good restaurant recommendations. Have
been there quite a few times so I have a few regulars; hoping for new ideas.

Many thanks.

T. Autischer

Gil Morgenstern wrote:
> Not sure this is the right group to ask, but am traveling to Madrid, Spain
> next week and would be interested in good restaurant recommendations. Have
> been there quite a few times so I have a few regulars; hoping for new ideas.
>
> Many thanks.

My favourite is La Bola (Bola, 5, Metro Santo Domingo). They offer
traditional dishes - especially cocido or spanish version of coq au vin.
Not too cheap but it's worth every cent.
Santiago

Gil Morgenstern > wrote in
:

> Not sure this is the right group to ask, but am traveling to Madrid,
> Spain next week and would be interested in good restaurant
> recommendations. Have been there quite a few times so I have a few
> regulars; hoping for new ideas.
>
> Many thanks.

Hi Gil,

I do not know exactly what you are looking for, but Viridiana (c/ Juan
de Mena, 14) and Arce (Calle Augusto Figueroa, 32) are truly excellent
restaurants. At Viridiana, ask for the long menu (I think it is 72 euros
with some good wines included, or a bit more if you want some more
special wines). If you take the wrong decission of not asking for the
menu, then do not forget to try the fried eggs with boletus sauce and
truffle. Outstanding. At Arce, the chef himself will help you making
your menu, and he will sit by your side. The octopus carpaccio is
outstanding, as are the codfish "cocochas" with wild mushrooms.
Excellent game and a wine list to dream. My only visit to the restaurant
ended with a bottle of Alion 95 priced at 35 euros, when the regular
price of a current vintage of Alion 2000 in a shop is 30 euros.

If you read Spanish, Metrópoli magazine could be of some help:

ARCE
http://www.elmundo.es/metropoli/rest.../55_ficha.html

VIRIDIANA
http://www.elmundo.es/metropoli/rest...390_ficha.html

Also, do not hesitate in reading the Spain and Portugal section of the
eGullet Forums. Lots of information on Madrid. Too much perhaps?

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showforum=38

Best,

Santiago