Default Tasting

Comparative 'tastings' are intended for professionals in the wine
trade: buyers, distributors, reviewers, etc.

Amateur wine 'enthusiasts' will get nothing from such 'tastings'.

A wine that amateurs may find unappealing in a 'tasting' setting may be
perfect with a meal, but the professional will recognize this and judge
accordingly. The amateur does not have the experience and knowledge to
judge wines this way.

Wines are meant to accompany meals. Outside of that context, judging
them is a complete waste of time for amateurs.

Amateurs should drink wines with meals. This is the intended final
destination of the product, and it is in this context ONLY that it
should be judged by amateurs.

I drink wine often, almost always Italian. Yet I would not consider
myself capable of judging any of the MANY Italian wines with which I am
familiar outside of the meal context. If you placed 10 Barolos or
Chiantis before me to taste alone, without a roast or steak, I would
refuse to offer any opinion. Anything I would say about them would be
worthless, and this would apply equally to every other amateur.

AWS Tasting Zeppo[_2_] Wine 4 23-02-2010 05:38 PM
NYC Tasting Fred Wine 4 07-12-2005 03:48 AM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 25 13-02-2005 01:32 PM
Tasting in Jacksonville, FL Bill Loftin Wine 1 23-11-2004 01:24 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 07:21 PM