Default Tasting

Comparative 'tastings' are intended for professionals in the wine
trade: buyers, distributors, reviewers, etc.

Amateur wine 'enthusiasts' will get nothing from such 'tastings'.

A wine that amateurs may find unappealing in a 'tasting' setting may be
perfect with a meal, but the professional will recognize this and judge
accordingly. The amateur does not have the experience and knowledge to
judge wines this way.

Wines are meant to accompany meals. Outside of that context, judging
them is a complete waste of time for amateurs.

Amateurs should drink wines with meals. This is the intended final
destination of the product, and it is in this context ONLY that it
should be judged by amateurs.

I drink wine often, almost always Italian. Yet I would not consider
myself capable of judging any of the MANY Italian wines with which I am
familiar outside of the meal context. If you placed 10 Barolos or
Chiantis before me to taste alone, without a roast or steak, I would
refuse to offer any opinion. Anything I would say about them would be
worthless, and this would apply equally to every other amateur.

Art Stratemeyer

Hi,

While I will be the first to say that wine is truly made to accompany
food as opposed to standing on it's own singular merits.

However ... yep .. there is always a "but" ....

I think , comparative tastings ... albeit formal ones or ones held at
a wine store are truly valuable to all ... beginner and so-called
"expert" alike.

I will take your example of Barolo ..... however this could equally
apply to a cab, chard ...etc.

One of the distinct benefits of tastings without food is to be able to
judge ( in you opinion and on your pallate .. not according to
"experts" ) how each wine compares in its quality and in representing
the varietal that it is made from.

Food, inevitably masks the ability to make the comparison.

When comparing the 10 barolos ... what is the balance of each, the
acidity, the way the tannins "feel" in your mouth, the length,
complexity and so on.

You might find Vintner A's to be really thin .. Vintner B's to be way
too tannic and so one.

If a wine is "out of balance" ( again to your taste ) with out food
.... it will not come "in balance" with food.

As you drink more .. and have more with your meals, you will come to
know the characteristics of a given Barolo that makes it enjoyable to
you. Once you have a grasp of these, then at such comparative
tastings you will be able to, if nothing else, quickly weed out those
that you know you won't like.

Don't worry if ... at such tastings you hear people give descriptions
of the wine that is in exact opposite to what you are sensing. This
happens to me all the time and is the source for lots of great
arguments ( or "discussions ).

Finally there is the economic benefit. Let's say you want to try a
new Barolo that you've not had and you already know some of the
characteristic of one's you've tired and don't like. Then the
comparative tasting at least gives you much better odds of bringing
home a wine you will enjoy instead of spending your money and "hoping"

Art Stratemeyer
=============================
http://www.stratsplace.com
A Community Celebration the Joy of Wine,Gardening and the Arts

Cellar! Wine Software
http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com

It is entirely possible (indeed probable) that a wine tasted alone
would come off poorly compared to others tasted alone, but fare much
better when drunk with a meal. Food changes everything.

Art Stratemeyer

oooops ........ guilty ........ chuckle

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:27:42 +0100, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:14:08 GMT, Art Stratemeyer
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>While I will be the first to say that wine is truly made to accompany
>>food as opposed to standing on it's own singular merits.

>Hi Art,
>
>OK, so you are a newbie Art ;-)))))
>
>Do not answer this troll
>

>Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
>email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Art Stratemeyer
=============================

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:14:08 GMT, Art Stratemeyer
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >While I will be the first to say that wine is truly made to

accompany
> >food as opposed to standing on it's own singular merits.

> Hi Art,
>
> OK, so you are a newbie Art ;-)))))
>
> Do not answer this troll
>

> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

I don't believe he was adressing you, Mikey.

Steve Slatcher wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2005 11:20:15 -0800, wrote:
>
> >It is entirely possible (indeed probable) that a wine tasted alone
> >would come off poorly compared to others tasted alone, but fare much
> >better when drunk with a meal. Food changes everything.

> Which the experienced amateur realises. And which many

professionals
> seem to miss when awarding points.
>
> You are right to point out the importance of food, but whether the
> taster is being paid or not is irrelevent.
>
> --
> Steve Slatcher

http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

The explosion of 'tasting' by inexperienced, uneducated, unqualified
people, who don't know the first thing about the relationship between
food and wine is the problem I am addressing. People asking questions
about the proper 'technique' for tasting is indicative of this cultural
disease. If you have to ask, you have no business doing it.....

pavane

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> The explosion of 'tasting' by inexperienced, uneducated, unqualified
> people, who don't know the first thing about the relationship between
> food and wine is the problem I am addressing. People asking questions
> about the proper 'technique' for tasting is indicative of this cultural
> disease. If you have to ask, you have no business doing it.....

Do you always talk to yourself???

pavane

dolo

"pavane" > wrote in news:UkeNd.24231
:

<snip>

<delurk>
from http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
"What is a Troll?
An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the
Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset
people.

Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for
their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are
hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human
but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow
whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering
they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the
moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise).
You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or
compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel
remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules
of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is
something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be
changed by mere words."

And most importantly:
"The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding
others not to respond to trolls."

Thank you for your attention. Please do not feed the troll.

</delurk>

> :
>
> <snip>
>
> <delurk>
> from http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
> "What is a Troll?
> An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the

> Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and

upset
> people.
>
> Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for
> their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are
> hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite

human
> but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no

sorrow
> whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the

suffering
> they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the
> moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.
>
> Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or

otherwise).
> You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame

or
> compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel
> remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the

rules
> of courtesy or social responsibility.
>
> Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is
> something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can

not be
> changed by mere words."
>
> And most importantly:
> "The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to

reminding
> others not to respond to trolls."
>
> Thank you for your attention. Please do not feed the troll.
>
> </delurk>

There is so much absolute bullshit being bandied about that it is
impossible to stand by and watch. 'Sowing discord'? Oh, you must mean
what I call pointing out that popular opinion rests on myths and
falsehoods.

I have nothing but contempt for most of poular culture.

Joe Rosenberg

Mr Uranium:

Your petty chauvinism and arrogance is unacceptable to valid discourse on
wine (and pairings with food), Because you feel that no wine should be
decanted or imbibed without a repast does not make you any better or worse,

Since you talk about Italian customs, I have visited Italian wineries almost
a dozen times and have tasted with Angelo Gaja, Renato Ratti, Elio Altare,
Pio Boffa, Elvio Cogno, Antonio Vallana, Giuseppe Quintarelli, Count
Bonacossi, the fratelli Cerreto, the Currados of Vietta, Sig Bianchi of
Monsanto, Count Pasolini, Antonio Mastroberadino + + + +. Most of these
occasions were without a meal and often if time permitted preceded a meal.
I'm sorry sir but no one ever told me that it was improper in Italy to drink
without a meal. I agree that food always enhances wine but to evaluate a
wines' quality only neutral flavors are appropriate. I also have spent time
in the Rhone & Burgundy and observed not just Americans indulging in
tastings at wineries but French, Swiss and Germans. Perhaps they did not
know the you sir, the deluded poobah of Columbus. would disapprove of their
behavior.

Since the early 1980's wine appreciation has grown here in the "colonies"
and as a wine educator I've always taught that there is no wrong wine or
wrong way of appreciating wine. I've endeavored to take the mystery and
foolish ritual out wine tasting.

We always have "newbies" joining the board and asking for guidance and we,
and I include the two Michaels, St Helier, Mark, Dale, Ian, Tom S and other
"regulars" have learned to be patient and have even created a FAQ page
covering netiquette and current topics to help the beginner.

All you do, sir, is engage in trollish behavior.

If you look at the TV or read, you will see much more disturbing things for
us to deal with then your "issues". If spectator sports is the toy
department of our conscious minds, then wine appreciation is the playpen and
crib.

I think we should start a collection and buy you a pacifier and a six pack
of zoloft if you persist in being so infantile.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> dolo wrote:
> > "pavane" > wrote in

> > :
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > <delurk>
> > from http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
> > "What is a Troll?
> > An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the

> > Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and

> upset
> > people.
> >
> > Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for
> > their bizarre game. For some reason, they don't "get" that they are
> > hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite

> human
> > but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no

> sorrow
> > whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the

> suffering
> > they cause, the greater their 'achievement' (as they see it). At the
> > moment, the relative anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish.
> >
> > Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or

> otherwise).
> > You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame

> or
> > compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel
> > remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the

> rules
> > of courtesy or social responsibility.
> >
> > Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is
> > something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can

> not be
> > changed by mere words."
> >
> > And most importantly:
> > "The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to

> reminding
> > others not to respond to trolls."
> >
> > Thank you for your attention. Please do not feed the troll.
> >
> > </delurk>

> There is so much absolute bullshit being bandied about that it is
> impossible to stand by and watch. 'Sowing discord'? Oh, you must mean
> what I call pointing out that popular opinion rests on myths and
> falsehoods.
>
> I have nothing but contempt for most of poular culture.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Midlife,

le/on Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:09:44 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

>Not sure why it's so hard to do, but it is absolutely certain that the one
>and only thing that will eventually wear out this guy is that his posts ARE
>NEVER....Repeat NEVER...... responded to directly.

Well said.

PLEASE folks, we've seen enough, NEVER, ever reply directly.

Get Agent (s****** CTRL-K and the poster becomes invisible.)

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Joe Rosenberg wrote:
> Mr Uranium:
>
> Your petty chauvinism and arrogance is unacceptable to valid

discourse on
> wine (and pairings with food), Because you feel that no wine should

be
> decanted or imbibed without a repast does not make you any better or

worse,

That is a distortion of my position. I said a wine should not be JUDGED
apart from its proper accompanyment (food) by AMATEURS (i.e.,
consumers).

Professionals who buy, sell, review, and produce wines, who have the
proper education, experience, and knowledge, are able to judge how well
a wine will match up with food, based on their experience and
knowledge. Amateurs, even very experienced amateurs (including me) who
have drunk Italian wines, for instance, for more than 30 years, are in
no position to taste a Barolo or Barbera along with several others,
others, without food, and evaluate how that wine would compare to the
others with food.

I have the utmost respect for professionals in the wine business.
Blondes trying various Pinot Griogios at a party don't qualify and have
no business doing 'tastings'.

'Tasting' is for qualified professionals only. Do not attempt this at
home.

I happened to be looking at a book at Barnes & Noble last week, written
by a woman (the name escapes me now) who agreed with me substantially
about not breathing wines, at least not mature wines.

> Since you talk about Italian customs, I have visited Italian wineries

almost
> a dozen times and have tasted with Angelo Gaja, Renato Ratti, Elio

Altare,
> Pio Boffa, Elvio Cogno, Antonio Vallana, Giuseppe Quintarelli, Count
> Bonacossi, the fratelli Cerreto, the Currados of Vietta, Sig Bianchi

of
> Monsanto, Count Pasolini, Antonio Mastroberadino + + + +. Most of

these
> occasions were without a meal and often if time permitted preceded a

meal.
> I'm sorry sir but no one ever told me that it was improper in Italy

to drink
> without a meal.

See above.

Joe Rosenberg wrote:
> Mr Uranium:
>
> Your petty chauvinism and arrogance is unacceptable to valid

discourse on
> wine (and pairings with food), Because you feel that no wine should

be
> decanted or imbibed without a repast does not make you any better or

worse,

That is a distortion of my position. I said a wine should not be JUDGED
apart from its proper accompanyment (food) by AMATEURS (i.e.,
consumers).

Professionals who buy, sell, review, and produce wines, who have the
proper education, experience, and knowledge, are able to judge how well
a wine will match up with food, based on their experience and
knowledge. Amateurs, even very experienced amateurs (including me) who
have drunk Italian wines, for instance, for more than 30 years, are in
no position to taste a Barolo or Barbera along with several others,
others, without food, and evaluate how that wine would compare to the
others with food.

I have the utmost respect for professionals in the wine business.
Blondes trying various Pinot Griogios at a party don't qualify and have
no business doing 'tastings'.

'Tasting' is for qualified professionals only. Do not attempt this at
home.

I happened to be looking at a book at Barnes & Noble last week, written
by a woman (the name escapes me now) who agreed with me substantially
about not breathing wines, at least not mature wines.

> Since you talk about Italian customs, I have visited Italian wineries

almost
> a dozen times and have tasted with Angelo Gaja, Renato Ratti, Elio

Altare,
> Pio Boffa, Elvio Cogno, Antonio Vallana, Giuseppe Quintarelli, Count
> Bonacossi, the fratelli Cerreto, the Currados of Vietta, Sig Bianchi

of
> Monsanto, Count Pasolini, Antonio Mastroberadino + + + +. Most of

these
> occasions were without a meal and often if time permitted preceded a

meal.
> I'm sorry sir but no one ever told me that it was improper in Italy

to drink
> without a meal.

See above.

> I agree that food always enhances wine but to evaluate a
> wines' quality only neutral flavors are appropriate. I also have

spent time
> in the Rhone & Burgundy and observed not just Americans indulging in
> tastings at wineries but French, Swiss and Germans. Perhaps they did

not
> know the you sir, the deluded poobah of Columbus. would disapprove of

their
> behavior.
>
> Since the early 1980's wine appreciation has grown here in the

"colonies"
> and as a wine educator I've always taught that there is no wrong wine

or
> wrong way of appreciating wine. I've endeavored to take the mystery

and
> foolish ritual out wine tasting.
>
> We always have "newbies" joining the board and asking for guidance

and we,
> and I include the two Michaels, St Helier, Mark, Dale, Ian, Tom S and

other
> "regulars" have learned to be patient and have even created a FAQ

page
> covering netiquette and current topics to help the beginner.
>
> All you do, sir, is engage in trollish behavior.
>
> If you look at the TV or read, you will see much more disturbing

things for
> us to deal with then your "issues". If spectator sports is the toy
> department of our conscious minds, then wine appreciation is the

playpen and
> crib.
>
> I think we should start a collection and buy you a pacifier and a six

pack
> of zoloft if you persist in being so infantile.
>
> --
> Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > dolo wrote:
> > > "pavane" > wrote in

> > > :
> > >
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > <delurk>
> > > from http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm
> > > "What is a Troll?
> > > An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on

the

> > > Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and

> > upset
> > > people.

Steve Slatcher

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:28:08 +0100, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:38:02 +0000, Steve Slatcher
> wrote:
>
>>You are right to point out the importance of food, but whether the
>>taster is being paid or not is irrelevent.

>Steve
>
>we are trying to get rid of the troll, you are feeding it....

I'm not convinced the guy is a troll, but I have certainly recently
come to the conclusion there is no point replying further to his
posts. I guess he is entitled to his opinions, but as he is not
interested in anyone else's opinion there is not much point.

The issue of drinking wines with and without food however is an
interesting one. I am actually a liitle surprised how much food *is*
discussed in the context of wine over on AFW. I think maybe Americans
are more keen emphasising the context than us Brits. Not necessarily
a bad thing.

Steve Slatcher wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:28:08 +0100, Mike Tommasi

> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:38:02 +0000, Steve Slatcher
> > wrote:
> >
> >>You are right to point out the importance of food, but whether the
> >>taster is being paid or not is irrelevent.

> >Steve
> >
> >we are trying to get rid of the troll, you are feeding it....

> I'm not convinced the guy is a troll, but I have certainly recently
> come to the conclusion there is no point replying further to his
> posts. I guess he is entitled to his opinions, but as he is not
> interested in anyone else's opinion there is not much point.
>
> The issue of drinking wines with and without food however is an
> interesting one. I am actually a liitle surprised how much food *is*
> discussed in the context of wine over on AFW. I think maybe

Americans
> are more keen emphasising the context than us Brits. Not necessarily
> a bad thing.
>
> --
> Steve Slatcher
> http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

You are right: I am not interested in 'opinions', but I am interested
in the comments of informed, experienced individuals who are not
subscribers to popular myths.

I have been drinking wine for 30 years. I wasn't born yesterday.

Emery Davis

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:31:09 +0100, Mike Tommasi > said:

] On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:27:24 +0100, Ian Hoare >
] wrote:
]
] >Salut/Hi Midlife,
] >
] > le/on Sat, 05 Feb 2005 23:09:44 -0800, tu disais/you said:-
] >
] >
] >>Not sure why it's so hard to do, but it is absolutely certain that the one
] >>and only thing that will eventually wear out this guy is that his posts ARE
] >>NEVER....Repeat NEVER...... responded to directly.
] >
] >
] >Well said.
] >
] >PLEASE folks, we've seen enough, NEVER, ever reply directly.
] >
] >> If you can't kill-file him (my news client won't do it)
] >
] >Get Agent (s****** CTRL-K and the poster becomes invisible.)
]
] yessss, just ONE key, tempting is it not?
]

Please, Please, let's stop talking to and about this idiot.

] Have a good time in Brittany Ian, pick up some of that Amphibolite
] Muscadet on the way...
]

Real reason for responding to this post: Ian, are you going to be anywhere near
our area? Love to get together for a glass. Respond off line about details, if you like.

Otherwise, have a great trip,

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Emery Davis,

le/on Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:35:28 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>Please, Please, let's stop talking to and about this idiot.

Oh go on, just one little snipe!

>] Have a good time in Brittany Ian, pick up some of that Amphibolite
>] Muscadet on the way...

It was a GREAT time. We're back now, having brought with us:- 2 crabs, 2kg
cockles, 1 kg praires (for non francophones - a type of clam) 1 kg mussels,
a glorious AOC camembert, some properly hung beef to make Carbonnades
Flamandes "dans les regles de l'art" and a kilo of good Norman salted butter
"de la motte".

And for dinner tonight with 6 of our friends

Appetizer - Dukkah with olive and walnut oils

Potted crab
Risotto al Frutti di Mare
Carbonnades Flamandes, baked spuds and salad
Cheeses
Tarte Tatin

And to drink with these (nothing with the Camembert)

Kir Royal as the apéro
1998 Babich Hawkes Bay Sauvignon Blanc (crab)
1995 Chevalier-Montrachet - Jean Chartron
1994 Ch La Caminade Clos de la Commandery - Cahors
1991 Royal Tokay Wine Co Tokaji Aszu 6 putts Nyulaszo

>Real reason for responding to this post: Ian, are you going to be anywhere near
>our area? Love to get together for a glass. Respond off line about details, if you like.

Sorry, I didn't read the NG while I was away, so I missed your suggestion.
We were in Brest. Was that anywhere near you?

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Emery Davis

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:04:13 +0100, Ian Hoare > said:

] Salut/Hi Emery Davis,
]
] le/on Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:35:28 +0100, tu disais/you said:-
[]
] It was a GREAT time. We're back now, having brought with us:- 2 crabs, 2kg
] cockles, 1 kg praires (for non francophones - a type of clam) 1 kg mussels,
] a glorious AOC camembert, some properly hung beef to make Carbonnades
] Flamandes "dans les regles de l'art" and a kilo of good Norman salted butter
] "de la motte".
]

_salted_ butter?? pshaw!

The crabs are really in now, planning on trying to get some at market tomorrow.

What camembert did you get?

[snip good meal and drink]

] >Real reason for responding to this post: Ian, are you going to be anywhere near
] >our area? Love to get together for a glass. Respond off line about details, if you like.
]
] Sorry, I didn't read the NG while I was away, so I missed your suggestion.
] We were in Brest. Was that anywhere near you?
]

No, I thought your route might take you within yelling distance. We're not
to far from Camembert (the village) in the Orne. Thought about it after, realized
you'd probably be coming up way to the west, if you stuck to the autoroute.

Oh well, another time.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Emery Davis,

le/on Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:17:03 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:04:13 +0100, Ian Hoare > said:

>] a kilo of good Norman salted butter "de la motte".
>]

>_salted_ butter?? pshaw!

Absolutely. We're unregenerate. We'll use unsalted for most cooking
purposes, but for butter sauces and for eating, there's a long tradition of
excellence in salted butter - especially from Britanny, as you know.

>The crabs are really in now, planning on trying to get some at market tomorrow.

I was a touch disappointed with ours. The meat wasn't as "full" as it should
have been, though the flavour was wonderful.

>What camembert did you get?

An AOC Th. Réaux - Touréaux Fromagerie in the Val d'Ay.

>No, I thought your route might take you within yelling distance. We're not
>to far from Camembert (the village) in the Orne. Thought about it after, realized
>you'd probably be coming up way to the west, if you stuck to the autoroute.

Our route was Limoges - Poitiers - Niort - Nantes - Quimper. So as you said
we kept well to the West.

>Oh well, another time.

I've made a mental note where you are and it may well be possible on our way
up to the UK next time.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Emery Davis

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:16:37 +0100, Ian Hoare > said:

] Salut/Hi Emery Davis,=20
]=20
] le/on Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:17:03 +0100, tu disais/you said:-
]=20
] >On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:04:13 +0100, Ian Hoare > s=
aid:
]=20
] >] a kilo of good Norman salted butter "de la motte".=20
] >]=20
]=20
] >_salted_ butter?? pshaw!
]=20
] Absolutely. We're unregenerate. We'll use unsalted for most cooking
] purposes, but for butter sauces and for eating, there's a long tradition =
of
] excellence in salted butter - especially from Britanny, as you know.=20
]=20

I do, of course, given the quality of the salt. I'm a big salt buff as it =
happens,
I usually have at least several kinds. =20

However, salt is also -- perhaps primarily -- added as a preservative, as y=
ou
know, and as a result sweet butter is usually fresher. This is true even f=
rom
the most fastidious norman farms. The one we get butter from is quite hone=
st
about it, when they run out of unsalted. They only make a limited quantity,
salting the rest, because it doesn't keep as well. So when you get it from=
them
you know it is very, very fresh, and is quite fantastic.

] >
] >The crabs are really in now, planning on trying to get some at market to=
morrow.
]=20
] I was a touch disappointed with ours. The meat wasn't as "full" as it sho=
uld
] have been, though the flavour was wonderful.
]=20

And in fact my fish guy had none at all...

] >What camembert did you get?
]=20
] An AOC Th. R=E9aux - Tour=E9aux Fromagerie in the Val d'Ay.

Interesting, we don't get that one around here, I'll keep my eyes open for =
it.
Some of the small productions are so limited they don't get beyond 50 km or
so.

[]
]=20
] I've made a mental note where you are and it may well be possible on our =
way
] up to the UK next time.=20
]=20

That'd be great. Indeed when the A28 is opened later this year, you will p=
robably
pass quite close.

-E
--=20

AWS Tasting Zeppo[_2_] Wine 4 23-02-2010 06:38 PM
NYC Tasting Fred Wine 4 07-12-2005 04:48 AM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 0 05-02-2005 07:52 PM
Tasting in Jacksonville, FL Bill Loftin Wine 1 23-11-2004 02:24 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 08:21 PM