Default Napa Sonoma Recommendations?

Going this summer to napa sonoma to pay homage to wine...any
suggestions on where to stay in napa and or sonoma...best wine tasting
rooms...best wineries to see etc..

thanks in advance!!!

Andrew Goldfinch

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Going this summer to napa sonoma to pay homage to wine...any
> suggestions on where to stay in napa and or sonoma...best wine tasting
> rooms...best wineries to see etc..
>
> thanks in advance!!!

Hi SD
I'm an Aussie wine geek but I think I can help a little.
I took my kids (12 & 13) to Disneyland last September and I planned my
"Disneyland" trip as part of it, I spent the weekend of 25, 26 September
2004 in the Napa Valley with dinner at the French Laundry in Yountville on
Saturday 25 September as the highlight. I worked 16 winerys in 2 days, 4
before lunch & 4 after each day and there are many highlights for me. The
bubbles at Schramsberg were equisite and Vincent Arroyo was spectacular (a
Petit Verdot & a Cab Sav that were absolute killers) I had a pinotage at
Stelzner that made me re think an entire variety. I also loved the
Franciscan
Oakville Estate. 16 Napa winerys from halfway around the world and I
remember
these 4 as outstanding for their wine. If you are just tourists (and not
wine geeks)
there are plenty of wine tourism places to go. Domaine Chandon, Neibaum
Coppola,
Robert Mondavi were those kind of places (ordinary wine though). Another
highlight
of our trip, I have to say, is when I told the waitress at the French
Laundry that
I would only drink Napa wines, I mean I'd spent 14 and a 1/2 hours on a
plane from
Melbourne to LA (then to Vegas then to SF, then I had to drive a car on the
WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD over 100 miles) why would I drink French wines?
I'll drink them when I'm in France. As for accomodation we stayed the night
at the
Marriot in Napa and it was OK. For lunch we picked up bread at the Bouchon
Bakery
in Yountville and got provisions from the Oakville Grocery and had a picnic
each day.
We also got some cool things for the picnics at the St Helena Olive Company.
Enjoy your trip.
Cheers Andrew

Richard Neidich

Few tips:

#1-If you can avoid the weekends you will avoid crowds and save money. Most
lodging is cheaper Sunday to Thursday.

#2. I really enjoy lodging at Yountville, St. Helena or Calistoga in that
order. www.napavalley.com has great site for B & B/Lodging.

#3. Dinners I really enjoy Bistro Pierre Jeanty in Yountville, the Pinot
Blanc in St. Helena and La toche in Oakville.

#4. Lodging my favorites are as follows:

Bordeaux House in Yountville
Maison Fleury in Yountville
Simple/humble is the "El Bonita" in St. Helena

Wineries tours I really enjoy:

My favorites are Schramsberg for Sparkling, Franks Family Wines for
Reds...don't miss their back room tastings.

http://napavalley.com/wineries/alphalistings.html#S

Enjoy trip.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Going this summer to napa sonoma to pay homage to wine...any
> suggestions on where to stay in napa and or sonoma...best wine tasting
> rooms...best wineries to see etc..
>
> thanks in advance!!!

Dana H. Myers

Andrew Goldfinch wrote:
> The
> bubbles at Schramsberg were equisite and Vincent Arroyo was spectacular (a
> Petit Verdot & a Cab Sav that were absolute killers)

Great choices of places to visit. Vincent Arroyo makes
great wine with no pretense at all ...

Dana

Tom S

"Dana H. Myers" > wrote in message
> Andrew Goldfinch wrote:
>> The
>> bubbles at Schramsberg were equisite and Vincent Arroyo was spectacular
>> (a
>> Petit Verdot & a Cab Sav that were absolute killers)

> Great choices of places to visit. Vincent Arroyo makes
> great wine with no pretense at all ...

I tasted some of his wines last year and concur. He knows what he's doing.

Tom S

Redhart

Drink em all.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Going this summer to napa sonoma to pay homage to wine...any
> suggestions on where to stay in napa and or sonoma...best wine tasting
> rooms...best wineries to see etc..
>
> thanks in advance!!!

Redhart

Drink em all.
oups.com...

Off to Napa/Sonoma Bi!! Wine 2 10-05-2010 04:11 AM
Week in Sonoma / Napa fsa3 Wine 24 29-11-2007 04:33 PM
Where to go in California - Mendocino or Napa or Sonoma? Combest Wine 11 05-05-2006 07:34 PM
winery visiting in napa sonoma...my recommendations R&M Wine 3 03-09-2004 03:16 PM
Napa Sonoma suggestions requested? Midlife Wine 13 27-07-2004 11:26 PM