James Dempster

Default Corton Charlemagne

I've recently acquired two bottles of Corton Charlemagne, Bonneau du
Martray 2002. Unfortunately my knowledge of high-end Burgundy is
entirely theoretical.

It appears from what I've read that it's a good year and a decent
producer but that in order to convert my theory into practice, I have
a 7-8 year wait since Corton Charlemagne is meant to be at its best at
10 years old.

Does anyone know the specific wine and whether I'm going to have to
wait till 2012 with it?

James
James Dempster (remove nospam to reply by email)

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
DaleW

It's terrible, you should dispose of immediately. Tell you what, I'll
dispose of it for you.

Seriously, I'd put Bonneau du Martray as better than "decent" . Big
producer, but their Corton-Charlie is a top performer. And 2002 is a
very good year. I haven't tasted, but Claude Kolm (Fine Wine Review)
gives it a 95/A, saying it's in a classic mode, "excellent acidity &
minerality w/finesse underlying the hazelnut and fruit aromas and
flavors"

If I had 2 bottles, I'd hold. But certainly if you're itching, try one
now.

Jim

Corton Charlemagne is indeed a wine made for longer life, at least if
it is to show everything it has. 2002 is a very strong vintage and
Bonneau du Martray is a good producer for whom the Corton Charlie is
the specialty. The BdM often seems to be more forward than other
producers, sometimes with primary fruit more in the tropical range. As
a result, the wines can be a little easier to drink young than others
from the same appellation. However, if you don't hold at least one of
your bottles, you are going to miss the fullness of what one of the
great vineyards of the world can offer.

In any case, enjoy,

Jim

Art Stratemeyer

Hi James,

I've some of the same here.

I was able to taste some at the distributor before buying.
I'll look up my notes ... but I do know that I've marked them not to
start drinking until around 2006 at the earliest

Art Stratemeyer
=============================
http://www.stratsplace.com
A Community Celebration the Joy of Wine,Gardening and the Arts

Cellar! Wine Software
http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com
Cwdjrx _

I mainly have had Bonneau du Martray and Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne
over the years. On the average I have found the Latour superior if you
have proper storage conditons and age it enough. The Bonneau often is
easier to drink if you must drink it young. As Hugh Johnson says, Corton
Charlemagne ages much as does a red wine. In his 2005 Pocket Encyclopeda
of Wine, he lists vintages back to 1978 as beng good vintages to drink,
and he rates the 85 and 86 as best for drinking in 2005. Leroy might
make a better Corton Charlemagne, but I have not tasted it. Be sure you
are sitting down when the price is quoted to you. If you open a Corton
Charlemagne too young, it can be a bit harsh and only hint at what is to
come when it is mature.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.