FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lunch Notes (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/52259-lunch-notes.html)

Bill Spohn 23-01-2005 01:52 AM

Lunch Notes

2000 Benchland Chardonnay - this BC Chard 3was getting a bit long in the tooth.
It had a faint metallic note in the nose, but beyond that it was excessively
oaked, had fair acidity and finished short. No thanks.

1994 Mas Champart (St. Chinian) - this Languedoc-Roussillon wine lacked the
quality I've seen in other examples. There was little of note in the nose, bar
a slight rubberiness, and while it showed some sweetness in the midpalate, it
tailed off too quickly and was simple.

With smoked buffalo carpaccio:

1992 Murietta's Well Vendimia - tons of mint in this nose, so much so that we
were considering whether it might be Australian. Elegant and ready, it struck
none of us as an American wine.

1996 Sean Thackrey Pleiades VI - "this wine contains Syrah, Zinfandel,
Carignan, Petit Sirah, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Grenache, Mourvedre, and Merlot,
to name just a few", and the back label indicates that it "goes well with
anything red wine goes well with", which doesn't really add much! The nose was
eucalyptus with a hint of barnyard, and the medium weight wine had good bright
fruit in the middle.

With pork tenderloin a la Portuguese (w. clams)

2000 Clos l'Oratoire des Papes Chateauneuf du Pape - a nose of rich herbs and
sweet fruit, with a bit of heat. Lots of tannin, sweet fruit medium long. It
showed more complexity on palate than it did in the nose.

1999 Ch. d'Aiguilhe (Cotes de Castillon) - I was the only one that suggested
this might be a Bordeaux! Big, black and impenetrable, with nutmeg in the nose
and soft tannins. It is an atypical wine, but drinks well now.

With cheese:

1994 Dom. Tempier Cabassau (Bandol) - good sweet nose with leather and spice,
obviously hot climate, still lots of soft tannin and very good length.

1997 Jose Ferrer Veritas Grand Reserve (Mallorca) - this wine, brought back by
a frined from vacation in Spain, had a bottle so heavy that it felt like a full
bottle when it was empty. Ripe nose, tannins forward, tad astringent at the
end. Interesting curiosity (and not cheap) but not serious cellaring material.
'Mantonegro', Callet and Cab Sauv.

2002 Golden Mile Merlot - an inexpensive BC wine that was showing a lot of
coconut and mint in the nose, quite sweet, and the sweetness carried over in
the mouth. OK with cheese but really a bit too sweet.

Redhart 28-02-2005 01:25 AM

Why don't you thr good wines. Then you wouldn't whine.

Redhart 28-02-2005 01:25 AM