Michael Pronay

Default A tale of an obscure Burgundy

Drunk last night, the bottle was a birthday gift from a friend two
years ago.

The label reads "Mercurey Duchancel". I have no idea whether
Duchancel is a climat or a négociant. The neck label says 1978.
The bottle is a slim Burgundian version in a light green glass
with less content, 70cl, - a Swiss bottling, confirmed by an
almost illisible (because of the stained label) "Exclusivité en
Suisse par Hammel SA Rolle". Hammel is a large négociant firm in
Rolle on Lake Geneva, mostly known for their low-end bottlings.

The bottle having thrown deposit, I decanted it through a funnel
into a clean bottle and poured immediately. I have never
understood why one should not decant Burgundy - is it nice to have
sediment in your teeth?

Oh, and there it was: lovely, subdued pinot on nose and palate,
soft, smooth, beautiful. Not a great wine, but very good and
attractive.

M.
Cwdjrx _

Here is an example of an obscure Burgundy I have(at least obscure to
me). Marceau Chambertin, Vintage 1959, Mise du Domaine, Exclusively
bottled for R. H. Macy & Co., Inc.. A small label above the main label
states: Specially selected in France by Macy's famous taster for Macy's
Fine Wine and Liquor Store. This store was part of the huge Macy's
department store in New York City. I only have the one bottle. It still
has considerable color, the best I can judge looking through the bottle.
Exclusive labels have been used at times in the US, but those that I
have seen are for wines bottled in France. I do not recall seeing one
for a French wine bottled in the US, although French wines often were
bought in cask in Europe and bottled in the UK, Belgium, etc. in the
past.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Tom S

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> The bottle having thrown deposit, I decanted it through a funnel
> into a clean bottle and poured immediately. I have never
> understood why one should not decant Burgundy - is it nice to have
> sediment in your teeth?

Hi, Michael -

I wasn't aware of any proscription regarding decanting Burgundy. FWIW, I
_always_ decant wines that have thrown sediment in bottle. They taste
better when they are clear and free of murk.

Tom S

Tom S

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> The bottle having thrown deposit, I decanted it through a funnel
> into a clean bottle and poured immediately. I have never
> understood why one should not decant Burgundy - is it nice to have
> sediment in your teeth?

Hi, Michael -

I wasn't aware of any proscription regarding decanting Burgundy. FWIW, I
_always_ decant wines that have thrown sediment in bottle. They taste
better when they are clear and free of murk.

Tom S

Anders Tørneskog

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i melding
> Drunk last night, the bottle was a birthday gift from a friend two
> years ago.
>
> The label reads "Mercurey Duchancel". I have no idea whether
> Duchancel is a climat or a négociant. The neck label says 1978.

Ah, 1978. Now, that was a good year. I recall tasting a lowly
Chorey-les-Beaune from Drouhin which was wine of the night in 1980 or so, so
I bought another bottle for storage and had it some 10 years later. An
extremely good wine, that.
Anders

Michael Pronay

"Tom S" > wrote:

>> I have never understood why one should not decant Burgundy - is
>> it nice to have sediment in your teeth?

> I wasn't aware of any proscription regarding decanting Burgundy.

It's generally not done in Burgundy, and many - people and books -
follow suit, declaring Burgundy - especially aged wines - to be
too delicate to sustain decanting.

M.
RV WRLee

>>> I have never understood why one should not decant Burgundy - is
>>> it nice to have sediment in your teeth?

>> I wasn't aware of any proscription regarding decanting Burgundy.

>It's generally not done in Burgundy, and many - people and books -
>follow suit, declaring Burgundy - especially aged wines - to be
>too delicate to sustain decanting.
>
>M.

In my experiences in Burgundy the high end restaurants decant the wines
especially older wines or Grand Cru/Premier Cru wines.
Bi!!
RV WRLee