Vincent

Default "Corked" experience destroys my joy for collecting

I mentioned a bad experience I had purchasing wine through Wine Commune in
another post. But what I don't understand, is why anyone would take the
chance purchasing an expensive wine knowing that it might be corked. And I'm
not talking about the $74 I spent on my 1986 Ducru, but the hundreds or
thousands of dollars some bottles go for. I always thought, one day, I'm
going to go for something really fantastic. Like a 1947 Cheval Blanc, which
I just received an email about today. If I hit it big in Vegas one year, or
a rich uncle dies, that's what I was thinking to do. But are people here
saying that if the wine is corked, it'd be my loss? This is way beyond my
scope of understanding. Please explain. I imagine if somebody pays thousands
for a bottle, they must be expecting it to be okay, am I right?

Thanks in advance.

\/

DaleW

Personally, if buying a bottle more than 10 years old, my usual
assumption is that there's a 5% chance it'll be corked, a 10% chance
that it'll be otherwise severely compromised (cooked or otherwise
damaged), 10% chance it'll be modestly overmature, and 75% chance it'll
be in good shape. I base my bid/offer on that. These aren't rigid
figures, just what my experience has been. Part of the game. If I KNEW
that '61 Bordeaux was in great shape, I'd pay more. But one never
knows. Sorry.

Richard Neidich

I guess this is one of the reasons I collect however. Bottles at release
are much cheaper than years later when consumer.

It is VERY dissapointing when I have a corked bottle. That said, if I paid
$30 but an 82 Margaux its better than paying $1000 for it today and finding
out it is corked.

"Vincent" > wrote in message
news
>I mentioned a bad experience I had purchasing wine through Wine Commune in
>another post. But what I don't understand, is why anyone would take the
>chance purchasing an expensive wine knowing that it might be corked. And
>I'm not talking about the $74 I spent on my 1986 Ducru, but the hundreds or
>thousands of dollars some bottles go for. I always thought, one day, I'm
>going to go for something really fantastic. Like a 1947 Cheval Blanc, which
>I just received an email about today. If I hit it big in Vegas one year, or
>a rich uncle dies, that's what I was thinking to do. But are people here
>saying that if the wine is corked, it'd be my loss? This is way beyond my
>scope of understanding. Please explain. I imagine if somebody pays
>thousands for a bottle, they must be expecting it to be okay, am I right?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> \/

Richard Neidich

I guess this is one of the reasons I collect however. Bottles at release
are much cheaper than years later when consumer.

It is VERY dissapointing when I have a corked bottle. That said, if I paid
$30 but an 82 Margaux its better than paying $1000 for it today and finding
out it is corked.

"Vincent" > wrote in message
news
>I mentioned a bad experience I had purchasing wine through Wine Commune in
>another post. But what I don't understand, is why anyone would take the
>chance purchasing an expensive wine knowing that it might be corked. And
>I'm not talking about the $74 I spent on my 1986 Ducru, but the hundreds or
>thousands of dollars some bottles go for. I always thought, one day, I'm
>going to go for something really fantastic. Like a 1947 Cheval Blanc, which
>I just received an email about today. If I hit it big in Vegas one year, or
>a rich uncle dies, that's what I was thinking to do. But are people here
>saying that if the wine is corked, it'd be my loss? This is way beyond my
>scope of understanding. Please explain. I imagine if somebody pays
>thousands for a bottle, they must be expecting it to be okay, am I right?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> \/

Richard Neidich

If the Stelvin really will eliminate cork taint and age well....it would be
a good idea. M. Pronay is correct.

My realization was when I had my first good bottle w.cork taint with 25th
Wedding Aniv dinner on 12.28.2004. I was ****ED.

Dick

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I guess this is one of the reasons I collect however. Bottles at release
>are much cheaper than years later when consumer.
>
> It is VERY dissapointing when I have a corked bottle. That said, if I
> paid $30 but an 82 Margaux its better than paying $1000 for it today and
> finding out it is corked.
>

> "Vincent" > wrote in message
> news
>>I mentioned a bad experience I had purchasing wine through Wine Commune in
>>another post. But what I don't understand, is why anyone would take the
>>chance purchasing an expensive wine knowing that it might be corked. And
>>I'm not talking about the $74 I spent on my 1986 Ducru, but the hundreds
>>or thousands of dollars some bottles go for. I always thought, one day,
>>I'm going to go for something really fantastic. Like a 1947 Cheval Blanc,
>>which I just received an email about today. If I hit it big in Vegas one
>>year, or a rich uncle dies, that's what I was thinking to do. But are
>>people here saying that if the wine is corked, it'd be my loss? This is
>>way beyond my scope of understanding. Please explain. I imagine if
>>somebody pays thousands for a bottle, they must be expecting it to be
>>okay, am I right?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> \/

Richard Neidich