Default Pairing Note: Foie Gras and Feiler-Artinger Traminer BA

We were up in Montana for the holidays and had a bit of a treat on New
Years Eve which I just have not been able to put out of my mind. I know
there is some controversy surrounding Foie Gras, but I'm just going to
have to say it flat: I love the stuff. I was actually a macrobiotic
vegetarian for years when I was younger, but you wouldn't know it to
see me eat now! But to the pairing:

Pan-seared foie gras in a balsamic reduction, served with homemade
huckleberry preserves
Feiler-Artinger Traminer Beerenauslese 2002

The BA had just the perfect amount of sweet/tart balance to offset the
richness of the foie gras. The bit of balsamic enhanced the lovely,
light acid spine in the wine, while the huckleberries brought out the
rose from the Traminer grape. It seemed as though the foie gras
extended the finish on the wine, which was just endless. The final
result was not a feeling of heaviness, as you might expect from such an
indulgence, which I am going to have to attribute to the wine.

e.
____________

MORE ABOUT THE WINE:
from vintner Kurt Feiler: "The Traminer grape is very intense in its
bouquet. Our Traminer Beerenauslese shows aromas of rosebuds and
rosewood, which is very typical for this varietal. In the area where
these vines are planted the chalky terroir is even enhancing this rose
bouquet. The 2002 is a perfect example of what a Traminer should be."
The grapes were picked on the 1st of November at 30 degrees KMW.
Fermentation lasted 14 days at a temperature of 16 degrees Celsius. It
was bottled in January 2003. The acidity level is 6 g/l, residual sugar
149.1 g/l.

from Falstaff Wine Guide: Light yellow gold color. Aromas of fine
rosebud, but otherwise still closed. On the palate, an elegant,
powerful texture, notes of mandarins.

from Wine Enthusiast: Aromas of lychees and spice follow through on the
palate with ripe, spicy fruit, layering dry botrytis with richness.
Light amounts of acidity suggest this is a wine which will age quickly.
_______________________
www.winemonger.com

Anders Tørneskog

> skrev i melding
ups.com...
> Feiler-Artinger Traminer Beerenauslese 2002

Feiler-Artinger is completely unknown to me, but I see that it is a
world-class winery in the Rust area of Austria. They use a multitude of
different grapes: Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Muskat Ottonel, Chardonnay,
Welschriesling and even Grainer whatever that is. I guess our Michael P
could say more.
Anders

Here is a bit of info about the town & winery that I wrote up some time
ago:

The town of Rust in Austria is perhaps best known for its world-class
late
harvest wines, a specialty of which is called Ruster Ausbruch. The
"Ruster"
describes that it is from this town, and the "Ausbruch" describes
the
traditional Hungarian method of only picking out the most perfectly
shriveled and botrysized grapes (as they do in the making of Tokaji
wines.)
Why are the wines from here so incredible? It might have something to
do
with the fact that in 1681 Rust was proclaimed a Free Town of the
Austro-Hungarian Empire, and this distinction came at a steep price:
10,000
liters of the prized Ruster Ausbruch wine had to be sent to the royalty
every year. A practice for survival became the practice of something
spectacular.

The Feiler-Artinger winery was established in the center of Rust in the
late
20's by Gustav and Karoline Feiler. After the Second World War they
were the
first to restart the tradition of harvesting grapes afflicted with
noble rot
for the production of Ausbruch. In 1955 Gustav's son Hans took the
reins and
steered things well, and since 1994 the third generation, Hans'
eldest son
Kurt, has stepped into line. Their work has not gone unnoticed; in 1999
Hans
and Kurt were jointly declared "Late Harvest Wine Makers of the
Year" at the
Wine Challenge in London, and Robert Parker Jr. of the Wine Advocate
rates
the winery as among Austria's best producers (giving it 4 1/2 out of
5
stars.) In fact, critics from Wine Advocate to Wine Spectator to
Falstaff have
consistently rated these wines in the 90's. The winery has 64 acres
with an
annual production of 12,500 cases; 30% white, 55% red, and 15% sweet.

As Hans Feiler puts it: "I strongly believe that harmony in the
family
brings harmony to the wines." This must be one happy family.
_________________________
www.winemonger.com

Ron Lel

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> > skrev i melding
> ups.com...
>> Feiler-Artinger Traminer Beerenauslese 2002
>>

> Feiler-Artinger is completely unknown to me, but I see that it is a
> world-class winery in the Rust area of Austria. They use a multitude of
> different grapes: Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Muskat Ottonel, Chardonnay,
> Welschriesling and even Grainer whatever that is. I guess our Michael P
> could say more.
> Anders

Feiler Artinger also make an excellent red - Solitaire. They are regarded as
a high quality wine maker.

Ron Lel

Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> Feiler-Artinger is completely unknown to me, but I see that it
> is a world-class winery in the Rust area of Austria. They use a
> multitude of different grapes: Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Muskat
> Ottonel, Chardonnay, Welschriesling and even Grainer whatever
> that is.

Grainer? Nope. Must be a transmission error.

> I guess our Michael P could say more.

What should I add except that you are 100 percent right?

M.

Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> Feiler-Artinger is completely unknown to me, but I see that it
> is a world-class winery in the Rust area of Austria. They use a
> multitude of different grapes: Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Muskat
> Ottonel, Chardonnay, Welschriesling and even Grainer whatever
> that is.

Grainer? Nope. Must be a transmission error.

> I guess our Michael P could say more.

What should I add except that you are 100 percent right?

M.
Michael Pronay

"Ron Lel" > wrote:

> Feiler Artinger also make an excellent red - Solitaire.

A few months ago we had a beautiful magnum of 1992. Proved a perfect
backup for a cork tainted magnum of Gruaud-Larose 1961 ... :-(

M.
Michael Pronay

Riesling and Foie Gras Bill S. Wine 6 10-04-2007 05:03 AM
No Foie Gras for you! JaKe General Cooking 24 01-10-2004 05:10 PM
ack! the price of foie gras Kate Connally General Cooking 23 06-08-2004 05:51 AM
foie gras A.C. General Cooking 10 14-06-2004 08:05 PM