kstrueh

Default Finger Lakes recommendations?

Contemplating a summer 2005 trip to NY Finger Lakes region. Wineries
to visit? Places to stay? Our taste runs to dry and sturdy in both
whites and reds, but we are certainly open to exceptional eisweins (I
think they may call them ice wines there?)

Furious Shepherd

"kstrueh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Contemplating a summer 2005 trip to NY Finger Lakes region. Wineries
> to visit? Places to stay? Our taste runs to dry and sturdy in both
> whites and reds, but we are certainly open to exceptional eisweins (I
> think they may call them ice wines there?)

On Senece Lake, I really liked the following (in order of preference):

East side of lake:
Wagner Vineyards - good wines, excellent beers and a nice restaurant for
lunch
A****er Estates Vineyards
Logan Ridge Estates Winery
Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards
Red Newt Cellars

West side:
Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard
Glenora Wine Cellars
Lakewood Vineyards
Earle Estate Winery & Meadery is an interesting stop if you like mead

Castel Grich Estate Winery has a terrific view, decent wines and looks like
a very nice Bed & Breakfast. Also, a walk through Watkins Glen State Park is
time well spent.

On Keuka Lake, Dr Frank's Wine Cellars is worth a visit.

bijoudog

I do agree with some of the prior postings, here are some more thoughts:

Red Newt, noted below, also has a nice bistro for lunch. They make a very
good Reisling, but it is not generally the friendliest place. The folks at
A****er were wonderful, and their Gewurtz is excellent.
While in that area, there are two more wineries to see, Standing Stone makes
several excellent whites, and they are small enough where you might get more
personal attention. Lamoreaux Landing has some nice wines, and a very
pretty building.
On the other side of Seneca Lake Goose Watch is a ice winery to visit. The
wines are OK, but they have a beautiful view, and they smoke trout there,
which is a nice treat with some of the wines while you taste.
I don't know any names, but you will be able to find nice small inns and mid
size motels in the Watkins Glen area.

Be sure to spend some time in Ithaca. The surrounding areas is gorgeous,
there are some great parks and waterfalls, and the town itself is terrific
to walk around and eat in.

Have fun!

David
"Furious Shepherd" > wrote in message

> "kstrueh" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Contemplating a summer 2005 trip to NY Finger Lakes region. Wineries
>> to visit? Places to stay? Our taste runs to dry and sturdy in both
>> whites and reds, but we are certainly open to exceptional eisweins (I
>> think they may call them ice wines there?)
>>

> On Senece Lake, I really liked the following (in order of preference):
>
> East side of lake:
> Wagner Vineyards - good wines, excellent beers and a nice restaurant for
> lunch
> A****er Estates Vineyards
> Logan Ridge Estates Winery
> Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards
> Red Newt Cellars
>
> West side:
> Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard
> Glenora Wine Cellars
> Lakewood Vineyards
> Earle Estate Winery & Meadery is an interesting stop if you like mead
>
> Castel Grich Estate Winery has a terrific view, decent wines and looks
> like
> a very nice Bed & Breakfast. Also, a walk through Watkins Glen State Park
> is
> time well spent.
>
> On Keuka Lake, Dr Frank's Wine Cellars is worth a visit.

Anders Tørneskog

"bijoudog" > skrev i melding
> On the other side of Seneca Lake Goose Watch is a ice winery to visit.

Fantastic! Do they really make ice wine only?

:-) Anders

Watkins Glen State Park is a beauty. Quiet and rustic.

Dan-O

kstrueh

kstrueh wrote:
> Contemplating a summer 2005 trip to NY Finger Lakes region. Wineries
> to visit? Places to stay? Our taste runs to dry and sturdy in both
> whites and reds, but we are certainly open to exceptional eisweins (I
> think they may call them ice wines there?)

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have found web links for the
various wine trails for each lake, but am not clear whether there is
transportation available to tour other than self-directed. As we will
be four people on two motorcycles, it would be nice not to have to have
2 designated drivers!

Karen

bijoudog

Karen,

You can likely rent a limo for several hours. Then you need no designated
drivers!

Try looking in Watknis Glen, and if not, try Elmira, NY or Corning, NY.
They are definitely available out of Binghamton.

David

"kstrueh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> kstrueh wrote:
>> Contemplating a summer 2005 trip to NY Finger Lakes region. Wineries
>> to visit? Places to stay? Our taste runs to dry and sturdy in both
>> whites and reds, but we are certainly open to exceptional eisweins (I
>> think they may call them ice wines there?)

> Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have found web links for the
> various wine trails for each lake, but am not clear whether there is
> transportation available to tour other than self-directed. As we will
> be four people on two motorcycles, it would be nice not to have to have
> 2 designated drivers!
>
> Karen

bijoudog

Karen,

You can likely rent a limo for several hours. Then you need no designated
drivers!

Try looking in Watknis Glen, and if not, try Elmira, NY or Corning, NY.
They are definitely available out of Binghamton.

David

"kstrueh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> kstrueh wrote:
>> Contemplating a summer 2005 trip to NY Finger Lakes region. Wineries
>> to visit? Places to stay? Our taste runs to dry and sturdy in both
>> whites and reds, but we are certainly open to exceptional eisweins (I
>> think they may call them ice wines there?)

> Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have found web links for the
> various wine trails for each lake, but am not clear whether there is
> transportation available to tour other than self-directed. As we will
> be four people on two motorcycles, it would be nice not to have to have
> 2 designated drivers!
>
> Karen

[FAQ] 3i. NY Finger Lakes? Mark Lipton Wine 11 16-11-2006 08:44 PM
FINGER LAKES WINE TASTING jIM Wine 14 14-11-2006 02:08 PM
Finger Lakes Juice Tim McNally Winemaking 0 03-10-2004 05:46 PM
Finger Lakes dining C. James Strutz Vegan 3 15-07-2004 11:06 PM
Restaurants Finger Lakes? Henry B. Restaurants 4 29-05-2004 04:15 AM