Dale Williams

Default TN: Gruner and Savennieres from so-so vintages

Monday Betsy was away till right before dinner, but craftily had stashed a pork
shoulder and caramelized onions with some cider in a dutch oven, and left the
oven on. We all arrived home at same time, I did some braised arugala and some
green beans with anchovy and garlic, and within 20 minutes we were eating. I
opened the 2003 Kartäuser Grüner Veltliner (Wachau). A little pea, a little
white pepper, this was definitely GV. But a little on the dilute side, and a
bit softer as far as acidity than my preference (I attribute the former to the
producer, previously unknown to me, and the latter to the vintage). Decent QPR
at $11, but not something to seek out. B/B-

Tonight was another timing challenge, this time for getting finished. I picked
up David after a school event and got him home 25 minutes before his math tutor
was coming, Betsy was ready to put dinner on table. Cod in a lemon/white
wine/herb sauce, I grabbed the one bottle that was upstairs (in the fridge),
the 2000 Ch. d'Epiré "Cuvée Speciale Savennières (is there a cuvée regular?
Every Epiré I've ever seen was special). Too cold to really judge with dinner,
but after the wolfed-down meal Bets and I retired to living room to commune
with each other, wine, and dog while David and tutor used dining table. As it
warmed, some good Chenin character- wax, flowers, apples, chalk, and apricot-
emerged. Softer acidity than any Savennières I've encountered before, and
everything seem a little subdued; yet for a wine from an unheralded producer in
an unheralded vintage not a bad showing. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Dale Williams wrote:
> opened the 2003 Kart=E4user Gr=FCner Veltliner (Wachau). A little pea,

a little
> white pepper, this was definitely GV. But a little on the dilute

side, and a
> bit softer as far as acidity than my preference (I attribute the

former to the
> producer, previously unknown to me, and the latter to the vintage).

Decent QPR
> at $11, but not something to seek out. B/B-

That Gruner... Smaragd? Federspiel? Just curious.
e=2E

Dale Williams wrote:
> opened the 2003 Kart=E4user Gr=FCner Veltliner (Wachau). A little pea,

a little
> white pepper, this was definitely GV. But a little on the dilute

side, and a
> bit softer as far as acidity than my preference (I attribute the

former to the
> producer, previously unknown to me, and the latter to the vintage).

Decent QPR
> at $11, but not something to seek out. B/B-

That Gruner... Smaragd? Federspiel? Just curious.
e=2E

Dale Williams

>Ototh, "Kartäuser" says nothing to me. Was it Stierschneider
>Kartäuserhof

Michael (and Emily):

2003 Kartäuser Grüner Veltliner was extent of what was listed on front label, I
would have remembered (and noted) a ripeness designation. The label didn't look
anything like the website Michael cited, but I think that's right because (a) I
think on rear label it mentioned the name Stierschneider & (b) the sources page
on website mentioned Matt Brothers as the US rep, and they were definitely the
importers.
My guess a low-end US-only export.
Best,
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Dale Williams

Ok, just got home, here's what we have:
Front label
Kartäuser
Grüner Veltliner
2003
Wachau Osterreich

Back label:
Kartäuser
Erzeugerabfüllung
Karl Stierschneider
A-3610 Weissenkirchen
2003 Grüner Veltliner
Wachau

Then some small print: qualitatswein staatl, 12.5%abv, Prüfnr F9597/03 (is that
like an AP number?), etc

Thanks for your help. I said, it's ok, but I generally prefer the co-op (Domane
Wachau) Terrassen GV at around same price point, or Nigh Freiheit for dollar
or two more.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Got me curious there. So I looked through our catalog and found that in
all cases Smaragd or equivalent wines have a number with the year being
after the vintage year. Some Federspiel wines have the same year, some
the following, and all the Steinfeder wines have the same year. I
realize this doesn't answer the question as to whether the year is for
when the sample was submitted or Pr=FCfnummer granted, but I thought I'd
share anyhow.

It would be really great if they posted the chemical analyses for the
wines online and folks could search using the Pr=FCfnummer. I'm looking
at a stack of these right now and I find them quite interesting.

e=2E

Got me curious there. So I looked through our catalog and found that in
all cases Smaragd or equivalent wines have a number with the year being
after the vintage year. Some Federspiel wines have the same year, some
the following, and all the Steinfeder wines have the same year. I
realize this doesn't answer the question as to whether the year is for
when the sample was submitted or Pr=FCfnummer granted, but I thought I'd
share anyhow.

It would be really great if they posted the chemical analyses for the
wines online and folks could search using the Pr=FCfnummer. I'm looking
at a stack of these right now and I find them quite interesting.

e=2E

TN: in which I prefer New World Pinot to Savennieres DaleW Wine 4 05-03-2011 03:51 AM
Savennieres : Clos de Papillon pk Wine 6 17-11-2009 05:33 PM
TN: Savennieres & 2 Burgs (only one corked) DaleW Wine 3 01-09-2009 01:13 PM
TN: 1996 Savennieres (fresh and alive) DaleW Wine 1 20-06-2009 04:49 PM
TN: 2002 Savennieres DaleW Wine 0 20-08-2008 01:32 PM