JB

Default Questtion for Cellar! Software Users

I'm using Cellar! to track my modest wine cellar collection of approximately
500 bottles. I'm looking for some information on how other Cellar! users
have set up the Drink/Hold profiles for the various wines. I've established
profiles for Bordeaux's (20 years), high $ California Cabs (15 years),
Vintage Ports (30 years), Barolos/Brunellos (20 years), etc. but I'm not
comfortable thinking that every one of these wines can cellar for this
length of time. I'm trying to avoid having to do an individual profile for
each bottle so that's why I want to see what other users suggest.

TIA.

John

CabFan

On 2-Jan-2005, "JB" > wrote:

> I'm using Cellar! to track my modest wine cellar collection of
> approximately
> 500 bottles. I'm looking for some information on how other Cellar! users
> have set up the Drink/Hold profiles for the various wines. I've
> established
> profiles for Bordeaux's (20 years), high $ California Cabs (15 years),
> Vintage Ports (30 years), Barolos/Brunellos (20 years), etc. but I'm not
> comfortable thinking that every one of these wines can cellar for this
> length of time. I'm trying to avoid having to do an individual profile for
>
> each bottle so that's why I want to see what other users suggest.
>
> TIA.
>
> John

John, I've been using Cellar! for about 2 years and have never been able to
make the profiles work correctly.... I've essentially resorted to setting up
individual profiles for each bottle on those that I plan on keeping long
term. I frequently buy 1/2 or full cases, so it is not too bad... I also
use the duplicate feature for wines that I buy multiple vintages of which
helps somewhat.

Good luck!

Gary
Zo

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:52:03 GMT, "CabFan"
> wrote:

>On 2-Jan-2005, "JB" > wrote:
>
>> I'm using Cellar! to track my modest wine cellar collection of
>> approximately
>> 500 bottles. I'm looking for some information on how other Cellar! users
>> have set up the Drink/Hold profiles for the various wines. I've
>> established
>> profiles for Bordeaux's (20 years), high $ California Cabs (15 years),
>> Vintage Ports (30 years), Barolos/Brunellos (20 years), etc. but I'm not
>> comfortable thinking that every one of these wines can cellar for this
>> length of time. I'm trying to avoid having to do an individual profile for
>>
>> each bottle so that's why I want to see what other users suggest.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> John

>John, I've been using Cellar! for about 2 years and have never been able to
>make the profiles work correctly.... I've essentially resorted to setting up
>individual profiles for each bottle on those that I plan on keeping long
>term. I frequently buy 1/2 or full cases, so it is not too bad... I also
>use the duplicate feature for wines that I buy multiple vintages of which
>helps somewhat.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Gary

Gary - Have you gone into Tools>Preferences>Drink Profiles and created
profiles there?

I do basically what John does, but I give them more generic names.
When I add a wine I take my best guess about that particular wine
whether it's a 10, 15, 20 year, etc. wine. By not labeling the
profiles things like Bordeaux, I'm less likely to make those kind of
generalizations when assigning. I also find it helpful to check for
online tasting notes for more input about longevity.

But I also assume that for many of the wines, the guesses will be
inaccurate and I will eventually revise the individual wine profiles.

Dale M.
CabFan

> Gary - Have you gone into Tools>Preferences>Drink Profiles and created
> profiles there?
>
> I do basically what John does, but I give them more generic names.
> When I add a wine I take my best guess about that particular wine
> whether it's a 10, 15, 20 year, etc. wine. By not labeling the
> profiles things like Bordeaux, I'm less likely to make those kind of
> generalizations when assigning. I also find it helpful to check for
> online tasting notes for more input about longevity.
>
> But I also assume that for many of the wines, the guesses will be
> inaccurate and I will eventually revise the individual wine profiles.
>
> Dale M.

Hi Dale, yes I've set them up but they never seem to take when entering new
wines. I've even asked for help from their suport and haven't been able to
make it work.... oh well....
Bill Hogsett

"JB" > wrote in
k.net:

> I'm using Cellar! to track my modest wine cellar collection of
> approximately 500 bottles. I'm looking for some information on how
> other Cellar! users have set up the Drink/Hold profiles for the
> various wines. I've established profiles for Bordeaux's (20 years),
> high $ California Cabs (15 years), Vintage Ports (30 years),
> Barolos/Brunellos (20 years), etc. but I'm not comfortable thinking
> that every one of these wines can cellar for this length of time. I'm
> trying to avoid having to do an individual profile for each bottle so
> that's why I want to see what other users suggest.

John, I use Cellar! for my even more modest 200 bottle "cellar". I gave
up on the drink profile and don't use it at all. I let the default apply
to every wine.

I suppose I keep the "drink profile" in my head and make the decision
based on what I think at the time I am selecting a bottle. But, that has
to be easier for me with 200 bottles--many of them 6 bottles of the same
wine--than with 500 or more bottle.

I recommended Cellar! to a friend yesterday and he asked about the "drink
profile" feature so I copied this thread into an e-mail to him. Great
timing.

Did you see that an update is coming out real soon now?

Bill

JB

Gary,

I think I can help you with your problem. After you select the Drink Profile
from the pick list you have to click on the arrow on the vertical bar that
appears between the old profile and the one you selected for the new wine.
If you don't click on this arrow then they don't change. It took me awhile
to figure this out.

John

"CabFan" > wrote in message
. ..

>> Gary - Have you gone into Tools>Preferences>Drink Profiles and created
>> profiles there?
>>
>> I do basically what John does, but I give them more generic names.
>> When I add a wine I take my best guess about that particular wine
>> whether it's a 10, 15, 20 year, etc. wine. By not labeling the
>> profiles things like Bordeaux, I'm less likely to make those kind of
>> generalizations when assigning. I also find it helpful to check for
>> online tasting notes for more input about longevity.
>>
>> But I also assume that for many of the wines, the guesses will be
>> inaccurate and I will eventually revise the individual wine profiles.
>>
>> Dale M.

> Hi Dale, yes I've set them up but they never seem to take when entering
> new
> wines. I've even asked for help from their suport and haven't been able
> make it work.... oh well....

JB

Bill,

I saw the upcoming Cellar! upgrade posted when I downloaded information on
wineries last night. I've been pasting information from Wine Spectator
reviews into the "Notes User Fields" to give me some idea on the quality and
how long to cellar the wine. Also, enjoyed reading your TNs in a recent
post. Keep it up. I too rely on information from others on deciding which
wines to sample. Trouble is, many of the wines mentioned are not available
where I live. I have noticed that my range of wines that I enjoy is rather
narrow. I seem to lean more to cabernets, Bordeaux's and Rhone style wines.
I had an 2001 Elyse Petite Sirah and it just didn't do anything for me. As
for my scoring system its rather crude. My wife defines her likes and
dislikes by whether the wine has "wang" or not.

John

"Bill Hogsett" > wrote in message
. 142...
> "JB" > wrote in
> k.net:
>
>> I'm using Cellar! to track my modest wine cellar collection of
>> approximately 500 bottles. I'm looking for some information on how
>> other Cellar! users have set up the Drink/Hold profiles for the
>> various wines. I've established profiles for Bordeaux's (20 years),
>> high $ California Cabs (15 years), Vintage Ports (30 years),
>> Barolos/Brunellos (20 years), etc. but I'm not comfortable thinking
>> that every one of these wines can cellar for this length of time. I'm
>> trying to avoid having to do an individual profile for each bottle so
>> that's why I want to see what other users suggest.
>>

> John, I use Cellar! for my even more modest 200 bottle "cellar". I gave
> up on the drink profile and don't use it at all. I let the default apply
> to every wine.
>
> I suppose I keep the "drink profile" in my head and make the decision
> based on what I think at the time I am selecting a bottle. But, that has
> to be easier for me with 200 bottles--many of them 6 bottles of the same
> wine--than with 500 or more bottle.
>
> I recommended Cellar! to a friend yesterday and he asked about the "drink
> profile" feature so I copied this thread into an e-mail to him. Great
> timing.
>
> Did you see that an update is coming out real soon now?
>
> Bill

Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:48:29 GMT, "JB" > wrote:

>Bill,
>
>I saw the upcoming Cellar! upgrade posted when I downloaded information on
>wineries last night. I've been pasting information from Wine Spectator
>reviews into the "Notes User Fields" to give me some idea on the quality and
>how long to cellar the wine. Also, enjoyed reading your TNs in a recent
>post. Keep it up. I too rely on information from others on deciding which
>wines to sample. Trouble is, many of the wines mentioned are not available
>where I live. I have noticed that my range of wines that I enjoy is rather
>narrow. I seem to lean more to cabernets, Bordeaux's and Rhone style wines.
>I had an 2001 Elyse Petite Sirah and it just didn't do anything for me. As
>for my scoring system its rather crude. My wife defines her likes and
>dislikes by whether the wine has "wang" or not.
>
>John

I've used Cellar! for years and have posted frequently on the software
as my preferred choice (this after being a software reviewer for Ziff-
Davis Online Software Library for seven years). I particularly like
the tight online integration of the latest iterations. Enter a wine
which comes from a winery not in your database and the program asks if
you want to go online to find it--usually a brief list of possible
choice show up and you find your winery data. Need TNs on a wine,
Cellar! will fetch it online and usually offer you a vertical so you
can even compare vintages of a particular wine. Pretty neat stuff.

I will confess, however, that I don't spend a lot of time with the
profiles management. I've configured for a handful of premium bottles
in my cellar, but in most instances I go with the default--it seems
that between my anticipated longevity and my consumption rate for my
cellar, the profiles would be so much wishful thinking.

Now, as for your dillemma that many wines mentioned aren't available
where you live, let me suggest some online shopping. If you live in
the US (and enjoy one of the states that doesn't consider you serial
murderer for enjoying wine), there are a lot of great and reliable
sources for wine that isn't availalbe locally. Some to explore are
Zachy's (http://www.zachys.com/commerce/home.asp), Sokolin,
(http://www.sokolin.com/default.asp), PJ's, (http://www.pjwine.com/),
(all in NY), Avalon in the Pacific NW, (http://www.avalonwine.com/),
and Sam's in Chicago (http://www.samswine.com/homepage.asp). There are
a lot of others. All have Web sites and all have extensive catalogs. I
found most of my wine bookmarks using winesearcher.com.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Bill Hogsett

Ed Rasimus > wrote in
:

> I've used Cellar! for years and have posted frequently on the software
> as my preferred choice (this after being a software reviewer for Ziff-
> Davis Online Software Library for seven years).

Ed, I got Cellar! last year and may have seen a post from your about it.
I think it meets my needs well.

I particularly like
> the tight online integration of the latest iterations. Enter a wine
> which comes from a winery not in your database and the program asks if
> you want to go online to find it--usually a brief list of possible
> choice show up and you find your winery data. Need TNs on a wine,
> Cellar! will fetch it online and usually offer you a vertical so you
> can even compare vintages of a particular wine. Pretty neat stuff.

Yes, it is quick and almost has the winery online. Occasionally, I'll
miss the naming convention and the winery won't be found.

> Now, as for your dillemma that many wines mentioned aren't available
> where you live, let me suggest some online shopping. If you live in
> the US (and enjoy one of the states that doesn't consider you serial
> murderer for enjoying wine), there are a lot of great and reliable
> sources for wine that isn't availalbe locally. Some to explore are
> Zachy's (http://www.zachys.com/commerce/home.asp), Sokolin,
> (http://www.sokolin.com/default.asp), PJ's, (http://www.pjwine.com/),
> (all in NY), Avalon in the Pacific NW, (http://www.avalonwine.com/),
> and Sam's in Chicago (http://www.samswine.com/homepage.asp). There are
> a lot of others. All have Web sites and all have extensive catalogs. I
> found most of my wine bookmarks using winesearcher.com.

I do a good bit of shopping online. The Ohio wine market is not very
good. I have shopped at most of the online shops Ed mentioned. I also
like Pops http://www.popswine.com/ which also is in the New York area.

Bill Hogsett
JB

Ed,

I happen to live in one of the backward states that doesn't allow the
purchase of wine over the internet. It did at one time and I took advantage
of that but legislation closed that opportunity a few years back. I am
following the recent Supreme Court test case about the constitutionality of
this.

My wife and I are spending a week in Napa this spring so I'm looking forward
to visiting several wineries and purchasing some wine to bring home. Got any
suggestions for me?

TIA.

John

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 16:48:29 GMT, "JB" > wrote:
>
>>Bill,
>>
>>I saw the upcoming Cellar! upgrade posted when I downloaded information on
>>wineries last night. I've been pasting information from Wine Spectator
>>reviews into the "Notes User Fields" to give me some idea on the quality
>>and
>>how long to cellar the wine. Also, enjoyed reading your TNs in a recent
>>post. Keep it up. I too rely on information from others on deciding which
>>wines to sample. Trouble is, many of the wines mentioned are not available
>>where I live. I have noticed that my range of wines that I enjoy is rather
>>narrow. I seem to lean more to cabernets, Bordeaux's and Rhone style
>>wines.
>>I had an 2001 Elyse Petite Sirah and it just didn't do anything for me. As
>>for my scoring system its rather crude. My wife defines her likes and
>>dislikes by whether the wine has "wang" or not.
>>
>>John

> I've used Cellar! for years and have posted frequently on the software
> as my preferred choice (this after being a software reviewer for Ziff-
> Davis Online Software Library for seven years). I particularly like
> the tight online integration of the latest iterations. Enter a wine
> which comes from a winery not in your database and the program asks if
> you want to go online to find it--usually a brief list of possible
> choice show up and you find your winery data. Need TNs on a wine,
> Cellar! will fetch it online and usually offer you a vertical so you
> can even compare vintages of a particular wine. Pretty neat stuff.
>
> I will confess, however, that I don't spend a lot of time with the
> profiles management. I've configured for a handful of premium bottles
> in my cellar, but in most instances I go with the default--it seems
> that between my anticipated longevity and my consumption rate for my
> cellar, the profiles would be so much wishful thinking.
>
> Now, as for your dillemma that many wines mentioned aren't available
> where you live, let me suggest some online shopping. If you live in
> the US (and enjoy one of the states that doesn't consider you serial
> murderer for enjoying wine), there are a lot of great and reliable
> sources for wine that isn't availalbe locally. Some to explore are
> Zachy's (http://www.zachys.com/commerce/home.asp), Sokolin,
> (http://www.sokolin.com/default.asp), PJ's, (http://www.pjwine.com/),
> (all in NY), Avalon in the Pacific NW, (http://www.avalonwine.com/),
> and Sam's in Chicago (http://www.samswine.com/homepage.asp). There are
> a lot of others. All have Web sites and all have extensive catalogs. I
> found most of my wine bookmarks using winesearcher.com.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org

Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:36:54 GMT, "JB" > wrote:

>Ed,
>
>I happen to live in one of the backward states that doesn't allow the
>purchase of wine over the internet. It did at one time and I took advantage
>of that but legislation closed that opportunity a few years back. I am
>following the recent Supreme Court test case about the constitutionality of
>this.
>
>My wife and I are spending a week in Napa this spring so I'm looking forward
>to visiting several wineries and purchasing some wine to bring home. Got any
>suggestions for me?
>
>TIA.
>
>John

As strange as it might seem for an American wine lover, I've never set
foot in Napa, or for that matter any of the CA wine regions. I've been
fortunate enough to have lived in Europe for a number of years where I
got to travel through Bordeaux, Burgundy, the Rhone, Alsace, the
Champagne region, Rioja, Jerez, Tuscany, the Mosel and Rhine, but no
experience in US wine growing country.

My advice (worth every penny you pay for it) is to let your own
experience be your guide. If you've got some favorite Napa growers,
seek them out. If you've got some fantasy tastings, make them happen.
Otherwise, simply acquire a good guidebook and let serendipity happen.

As for buying, I've honestly got to say that in general I've found
winery prices to be higher than many well-stocked wine merchants. You
can certainly gain access to some wonderful wines at the vineyard (or
buying direct if that's a state acceptable option), but prices found
at a good local dealer are often lower.

We've got some participants in AFW who are much more familiar with
Napa than I--but I've still got time to make the journey. Now, to get
out and buy that Lottery ticket...

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Richard Neidich

What state are you in. It matters for my response.

"JB" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> [...]

>> that between my anticipated longevity and my consumption rate for my
>> cellar, the profiles would be so much wishful thinking.
>>
>> Now, as for your dillemma that many wines mentioned aren't available
>> where you live, let me suggest some online shopping. If you live in
>> the US (and enjoy one of the states that doesn't consider you serial
>> murderer for enjoying wine), there are a lot of great and reliable
>> sources for wine that isn't availalbe locally. Some to explore are
>> Zachy's (http://www.zachys.com/commerce/home.asp), Sokolin,
>> (http://www.sokolin.com/default.asp), PJ's, (http://www.pjwine.com/),
>> (all in NY), Avalon in the Pacific NW, (http://www.avalonwine.com/),
>> and Sam's in Chicago (http://www.samswine.com/homepage.asp). There are
>> a lot of others. All have Web sites and all have extensive catalogs. I
>> found most of my wine bookmarks using winesearcher.com.

Richard Neidich

What state are you in. It matters for my response.

"JB" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> [...]

>> that between my anticipated longevity and my consumption rate for my
>> cellar, the profiles would be so much wishful thinking.
>>
>> Now, as for your dillemma that many wines mentioned aren't available
>> where you live, let me suggest some online shopping. If you live in
>> the US (and enjoy one of the states that doesn't consider you serial
>> murderer for enjoying wine), there are a lot of great and reliable
>> sources for wine that isn't availalbe locally. Some to explore are
>> Zachy's (http://www.zachys.com/commerce/home.asp), Sokolin,
>> (http://www.sokolin.com/default.asp), PJ's, (http://www.pjwine.com/),
>> (all in NY), Avalon in the Pacific NW, (http://www.avalonwine.com/),
>> and Sam's in Chicago (http://www.samswine.com/homepage.asp). There are
>> a lot of others. All have Web sites and all have extensive catalogs. I
>> found most of my wine bookmarks using winesearcher.com.

Bill Loftin

JB wrote:

> My wife and I are spending a week in Napa this spring so I'm looking forward
> to visiting several wineries and purchasing some wine to bring home. Got any
> suggestions for me?

I spend a great deal of time in wine country. I would suggest that you
think in terms of the wines that are not available where you live and
concentrate on them. Winery prices range as high as 100% greater than
store prices. In one case I have purchased a wine in discount stores for
less than $18 that the winery was asking $80 for. Most wineries also try
to unload overstocked wines to make way for the new vintage and you can
get some very cheap purchases that way. You can also look for cheap
second labels at wineries. It is possible to get some cult wines at
suggested retail rather than the big big prices that cult wines bring
if you can get into the winery. There are a number of wine stores around
the area that sell the local wines very cheap. Bottle Barn in Santa
Rosa is one such place. But mostly concentrate on wines that are not
available where you live.

Sonoma County is a much better visit than Napa now days.
Very little traffic, you don't have to pay for your tastings at many
places and they are much more hospitable.
Bill
JB

Thanks for the advice about where to purchase wine. I'll try and stick to
sampling at the winery and purchasing at a local wine store. We'll be
spending most of our time in Yountville. Got any suggestions for this area?

TIA

John

--
"Bill Loftin" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> JB wrote:
>
>> My wife and I are spending a week in Napa this spring so I'm looking
>> forward to visiting several wineries and purchasing some wine to bring
>> home. Got any suggestions for me?

> I spend a great deal of time in wine country. I would suggest that you
> think in terms of the wines that are not available where you live and
> concentrate on them. Winery prices range as high as 100% greater than
> store prices. In one case I have purchased a wine in discount stores for
> less than $18 that the winery was asking $80 for. Most wineries also try
> to unload overstocked wines to make way for the new vintage and you can
> get some very cheap purchases that way. You can also look for cheap
> second labels at wineries. It is possible to get some cult wines at
> suggested retail rather than the big big prices that cult wines bring
> if you can get into the winery. There are a number of wine stores around
> the area that sell the local wines very cheap. Bottle Barn in Santa
> Rosa is one such place. But mostly concentrate on wines that are not
> available where you live.
>
> Sonoma County is a much better visit than Napa now days.
> Very little traffic, you don't have to pay for your tastings at many
> places and they are much more hospitable.
> Bill

JB

Thanks for the advice about where to purchase wine. I'll try and stick to
sampling at the winery and purchasing at a local wine store. We'll be
spending most of our time in Yountville. Got any suggestions for this area?

TIA

John

--
"Bill Loftin" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> JB wrote:
>
>> My wife and I are spending a week in Napa this spring so I'm looking
>> forward to visiting several wineries and purchasing some wine to bring
>> home. Got any suggestions for me?

> I spend a great deal of time in wine country. I would suggest that you
> think in terms of the wines that are not available where you live and
> concentrate on them. Winery prices range as high as 100% greater than
> store prices. In one case I have purchased a wine in discount stores for
> less than $18 that the winery was asking $80 for. Most wineries also try
> to unload overstocked wines to make way for the new vintage and you can
> get some very cheap purchases that way. You can also look for cheap
> second labels at wineries. It is possible to get some cult wines at
> suggested retail rather than the big big prices that cult wines bring
> if you can get into the winery. There are a number of wine stores around
> the area that sell the local wines very cheap. Bottle Barn in Santa
> Rosa is one such place. But mostly concentrate on wines that are not
> available where you live.
>
> Sonoma County is a much better visit than Napa now days.
> Very little traffic, you don't have to pay for your tastings at many
> places and they are much more hospitable.
> Bill

CabFan

On 11-Jan-2005, "JB" > wrote:

> Thanks for the advice about where to purchase wine. I'll try and stick to
> sampling at the winery and purchasing at a local wine store. We'll be
> spending most of our time in Yountville. Got any suggestions for this
> area?
>
> TIA
>
> John

If you are a cabernet fan, you may want to try Grgich Hills. It has always
been one of my favorites, and we recently returned from San Francisco with a
bottle of Grgich Hills Yountville Selection Cabernet 1997 which was
fantastic. They also make a good chardonnay, if you like big, buttery, oaky
chards and a decent Fume Blanc. Don't care much for the Zinfandel, as it is
too fruity and not enough of the spice I love in zin. Don't remember the
dessert wine, though they make one.

Used to be that you'd find Mike Grgich (owner) pouring in the tasting room
as often as not, but not sure if that's still true since he's been in
Croatia making wine.

Cheers,
Gary