st.helier

My Dear Michael,

Give up this lesson in pronunciation - now! ;-)

You are dealing with an Australian - true blue, dinky di (please don't
ask!!!!!!!!!!! ;-))

Australians have a brain like computers - before you get an iota of sense
out, you must first punch any information in - and I do mean punch!!!!!

Australians are the world masters at nick-names and abbreviations.

They gave the world "stickies" for dessert wines; CabSav for Cabernet
Sauvignon and of course Savvy for Sauvignon Blanc.

Any and all red haired males are nicknamed "Blue" (no-one has ever told me
why!); all Australian soldiers (past or present) are "Digger" (referring to
the digging of trenches and/or latrines during wartime); all Australian
women are "Sheilas" (and that is a nice name compared to some!)

So, while I respectfully suggest that "Mat" does demonstrate some human
characteristics, please don't be fooled into thinking that he is capable of
reformation.

To be Australian is to be incorrigible.

(Oh gidday Mat! Owyergoin'mate? Orite?)

--

st.h

Mat

st.helier wrote:

> My Dear Michael,
>
> Give up this lesson in pronunciation - now! ;-)
>
> You are dealing with an Australian - true blue, dinky di (please don't
> ask!!!!!!!!!!! ;-))
>
> Australians have a brain like computers - before you get an iota of sense
> out, you must first punch any information in - and I do mean punch!!!!!
>
> Australians are the world masters at nick-names and abbreviations.
>
> They gave the world "stickies" for dessert wines; CabSav for Cabernet
> Sauvignon and of course Savvy for Sauvignon Blanc.
>
> Any and all red haired males are nicknamed "Blue" (no-one has ever told me
> why!); all Australian soldiers (past or present) are "Digger" (referring to
> the digging of trenches and/or latrines during wartime); all Australian
> women are "Sheilas" (and that is a nice name compared to some!)
>
> So, while I respectfully suggest that "Mat" does demonstrate some human
> characteristics, please don't be fooled into thinking that he is capable of
> reformation.
>
> To be Australian is to be incorrigible.
>
> (Oh gidday Mat! Owyergoin'mate? Orite?)
>
> --
>
> st.h

G'day cobber. Pais me didgereedoo and me fowr x mayte. By crickey. Throw
another shrimp on the barbie. That's not a knife, this is a knife. Onya
cobber. I could really go a cuppa saintie. Hooroo bloke. Catcha later
hellza by jingo ya drongo.

Tsk tsk tsk st.h! U shld know better than to perpetuate antipodean myths
about kangaroos hopping down Bourke St. mall and everyone talking,
dressing and acting like Steve Irwin. Crikey!

Whilst our laid-back lifestyle [this is increasingly a fallacy,
Australians work more hours per week than any other country in the world
according to recent figures] dictates we make as little effort as
possible whilst speaking, you should know better!

I think you will find most of the lingo ppl associate with Australia
went out about the same time as the stump jump plough was invented. It
perhaps still resides in the bush, but in the cities / burbs [where the
vast majority of us live] you'll be an awful lot more likely to find ppl
using American slang.

Wrap ur peepers around this ya galla:
http://www.aussieslang.com/
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~enigm...lia/slang.html
http://www.australianexplorer.com/slang/phrases.htm

Cheers big-ears! What a little bewwwwwdeeee. Bloody oath! Strewth!
You've got Buckley's chance mate! I've come good. Deadset mate. Fair
dinkum. Fair suck of the sav. Better give it a burl hey shirl? You got a
few kangaroos loose in the top paddock or what mate? Pig's arse! Rack
off bouncer. Too right! She'll be right mate.

I've got a few serious questions. If I come to New Zealand will I have
to haka everywhere I go whilst dodging marauding kiwis [the birds, not
the mammals]? And will anyone understand anything I say without using
"u" for all five vowels? Do I need to bring my own wellies? Do I need to
bring my own shepherd to negotiate all the sheep [or negotiate *for* the
sheep if I follow local customs]? Can I get fush und chups whilst I'm there?

As an aside, you should know that many non Oz/NZ-ers have a great deal
of trouble distinguishing between the two. And the NZers who dun't use
thu luttur u fur uvury vuwul are quite hard to distinguish from us even
for the natives [ie even Australians can't tell the difference].

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go walkabout to catch some bush
tucker. Goanna perhaps.

Mat

st.helier wrote:

> [...]

off bouncer. Too right! She'll be right mate.

I've got a few serious questions. If I come to New Zealand will I have
to haka everywhere I go whilst dodging marauding kiwis [the birds, not
the mammals]? And will anyone understand anything I say without using
"u" for all five vowels? Do I need to bring my own wellies? Do I need to
bring my own shepherd to negotiate all the sheep [or negotiate *for* the
sheep if I follow local customs]? Can I get fush und chups whilst I'm there?

As an aside, you should know that many non Oz/NZ-ers have a great deal
of trouble distinguishing between the two. And the NZers who dun't use
thu luttur u fur uvury vuwul are quite hard to distinguish from us even
for the natives [ie even Australians can't tell the difference].

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go walkabout to catch some bush

jcoulter

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :

> Yeah I guess. Its still a bit of a truncated "so" sound, which I can't
> really think of an English equivalent. Plus it is spelt "s a", so I
> guess it seems logical saying "sa".
>
> I will make an effort to pronounce it correctly from now on.

Three things Matt:

First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with the
spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)

Second, when did language make logical sense?

Third, it doesn't statrt with a sa but a sau

but then you say potato and I say potato but they are both pretty good when
baked or fried.

jcoulter

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :

> Yeah I guess. Its still a bit of a truncated "so" sound, which I can't
> really think of an English equivalent. Plus it is spelt "s a", so I
> guess it seems logical saying "sa".
>
> I will make an effort to pronounce it correctly from now on.

Three things Matt:

First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with the
spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)

Second, when did language make logical sense?

Third, it doesn't statrt with a sa but a sau

but then you say potato and I say potato but they are both pretty good when
baked or fried.
Mat

jcoulter wrote:
> Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :
>

>>Yeah I guess. Its still a bit of a truncated "so" sound, which I can't
>>really think of an English equivalent. Plus it is spelt "s a", so I
>>guess it seems logical saying "sa".
>>
>>I will make an effort to pronounce it correctly from now on.
>>

> Three things Matt:
>
> First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with the
> spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)

Wool-a-ma-loo?

> Second, when did language make logical sense?

Never if you've ever tried computer programming.

> Third, it doesn't statrt with a sa but a sau

Yes yes! But it *sounds" like a sa, not a slightly nasally "soh"
which is how I have heard it pronounced many a time, and how with my
conversational French I would pronounce it.

> but then you say potato and I say potato but they are both pretty good when
> baked or fried.

Potato, potatoe, tomato, tomatoe, lets call the whole thing off.
[Lovingly dedicated to Mr. I Invented The Internet Dan Quayle].

jcoulter

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :

> jcoulter wrote:
>> Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :
>>

>>>Yeah I guess. Its still a bit of a truncated "so" sound, which I
>>>can't really think of an English equivalent. Plus it is spelt "s a",
>>>so I guess it seems logical saying "sa".
>>>
>>>I will make an effort to pronounce it correctly from now on.
>>>

>> Three things Matt:
>>
>> First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with
>> the spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)
>>

> Wool-a-ma-loo?

What I heard was more like will-a-ma-lou
jcoulter

Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :

> jcoulter wrote:
>> Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :
>>

>>>Yeah I guess. Its still a bit of a truncated "so" sound, which I
>>>can't really think of an English equivalent. Plus it is spelt "s a",
>>>so I guess it seems logical saying "sa".
>>>
>>>I will make an effort to pronounce it correctly from now on.
>>>

>> Three things Matt:
>>
>> First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with
>> the spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)
>>

> Wool-a-ma-loo?

What I heard was more like will-a-ma-lou
Mat

jcoulter wrote:

> Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :
>

>>jcoulter wrote:

>>>Three things Matt:
>>>
>>>First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with
>>>the spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)
>>>

>>Wool-a-ma-loo?
>>

> What I heard was more like will-a-ma-lou

Lost in translation? ;-)

Um there are subtle accent differences in Oz. Not as pronounced as say
the US, but still differences.

Moving left [West] the accent starts to sound a bit more plummy and
posh, and in fact it has taken me a while to work out that all ppl from
SA and WA aren't all snobs, its just the accent.

Moving up [north] the accent tends to get a lot broader, and more like
what most ppl would expect. It tends to be more pronounced in rural
areas as well.

I've noticed in mixed-race [I just mean multi-cultural] areas the accent
is becoming a blend [as you would expect]. Many anglos I have noticed
have started to use Southern European and even Arabic linguistic
characteristics for example. And of course vice-versa.

It can be quite amusing when from all indications someone appears to be
from a totally different language / cultural set [dress, mannerisms etc]
then you say something slowly to them because you are not sure, then
they say something along the lines of [with thick Aussie accent] "G'day
mate! etc". I think the ppl involved often find it amusing too.

Mat

jcoulter wrote:

> Mat <Ask@me> wrote in :
>

>>jcoulter wrote:

>>>Three things Matt:
>>>
>>>First, I have heard Woolloomooloo pronounced so don't even start with
>>>the spelling leading pronunciation stuff ;-)
>>>

>>Wool-a-ma-loo?
>>

> What I heard was more like will-a-ma-lou

Lost in translation? ;-)

Um there are subtle accent differences in Oz. Not as pronounced as say
the US, but still differences.

Moving left [West] the accent starts to sound a bit more plummy and
posh, and in fact it has taken me a while to work out that all ppl from
SA and WA aren't all snobs, its just the accent.

Moving up [north] the accent tends to get a lot broader, and more like
what most ppl would expect. It tends to be more pronounced in rural
areas as well.

I've noticed in mixed-race [I just mean multi-cultural] areas the accent
is becoming a blend [as you would expect]. Many anglos I have noticed
have started to use Southern European and even Arabic linguistic
characteristics for example. And of course vice-versa.

It can be quite amusing when from all indications someone appears to be
from a totally different language / cultural set [dress, mannerisms etc]
then you say something slowly to them because you are not sure, then
they say something along the lines of [with thick Aussie accent] "G'day
mate! etc". I think the ppl involved often find it amusing too.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mat,

le/on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:56 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

>> Third, it doesn't statrt with a sa but a sau

>Yes yes! But it *sounds" like a sa, not a slightly nasally "soh"
>which is how I have heard it pronounced many a time, and how with my
>conversational French I would pronounce it.

Nope, Sohvinyon is pretty well perfect. If you won't believe what you've
read from others, believe me! I'm bilingual and live here in France. Ask
Michael Tommassi or Emery Davis, who are in the same boat.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mat,

le/on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:56 +1100, tu disais/you said:-

>> Third, it doesn't statrt with a sa but a sau

>Yes yes! But it *sounds" like a sa, not a slightly nasally "soh"
>which is how I have heard it pronounced many a time, and how with my
>conversational French I would pronounce it.

Nope, Sohvinyon is pretty well perfect. If you won't believe what you've
read from others, believe me! I'm bilingual and live here in France. Ask
Michael Tommassi or Emery Davis, who are in the same boat.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Michael Pronay

Mat <Ask@me> wrote:

[102 lines of incomprehensive emanations snipped, except for these
few:]

>> They gave the world "stickies" for dessert wines;

The Brits (M. Broadbent) have used this term at least since the
late 1970s - which says nothing about the copyright, of course.

> That's not a knife, this is a knife.

Glad I know this one - because the rest is incomprehensible.

No idea, why Austria is permanently confonded with Australia.

M.
Michael Pronay

Mat <Ask@me> wrote:

[102 lines of incomprehensive emanations snipped, except for these
few:]

>> They gave the world "stickies" for dessert wines;

The Brits (M. Broadbent) have used this term at least since the
late 1970s - which says nothing about the copyright, of course.

> That's not a knife, this is a knife.

Glad I know this one - because the rest is incomprehensible.

No idea, why Austria is permanently confonded with Australia.

M.

Mat

Ian Hoare wrote:
> Salut/Hi Mat,
>
> le/on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:22:56 +1100, tu disais/you said:-
>

>>>Third, it doesn't statrt with a sa but a sau

>>Yes yes! But it *sounds" like a sa, not a slightly nasally "soh"
>>which is how I have heard it pronounced many a time, and how with my
>>conversational French I would pronounce it.

> Nope, Sohvinyon is pretty well perfect. If you won't believe what you've
> read from others, believe me! I'm bilingual and live here in France. Ask
> Michael Tommassi or Emery Davis, who are in the same boat.

Okie dokie, I believe you all really.

I shall resist the temptation to pronounce it the other way, even if
everyone here pronounces it that way and it gets abreviated to "cab sav".

Mat.

P.S.: I'm not being sarcastic in case anyone is wondering.

Mat

Michael Pronay wrote:

> Mat <Ask@me> wrote:
>
> [102 lines of incomprehensive emanations snipped, except for these
> few:]
>

>>>They gave the world "stickies" for dessert wines;

> The Brits (M. Broadbent) have used this term at least since the
> late 1970s - which says nothing about the copyright, of course.
>

>>That's not a knife, this is a knife.

> Glad I know this one - because the rest is incomprehensible.
>
> No idea, why Austria is permanently confonded with Australia.
>
> M.

O come on, there was some stuff in the Queen's English there!

I can translate if you wish bloke.

We are constantly annoyed being the world's largest island located in
the south pacific just south of Indonesia [the world's largest Muslim
country population ~200 million] and just north of Antarctica, speaking
English and a former British colony, at how we can be confused with a
landlocked German speaking European country.

I believe we've even been hit with the Austrian anthem on some occaisions.

Trivia: How much do you really know about Bubble Tea? Jain Tea 0 10-09-2012 07:40 PM
Hot Dog And Hamburger Trivia Lou Decruss[_3_] General Cooking 1 05-11-2009 05:33 PM
Food Trivia kalanamak General Cooking 11 05-08-2005 08:26 PM
Interesting Trivia Paul E. Lehmann Winemaking 6 29-06-2005 08:36 AM
Trivia Quiz! st.helier Wine 16 30-12-2004 07:42 PM