John Smith

Default Activated Charcoal Filters for Cheap Alcohol?

I read that cheap alcohol can be cleaner/smoother after filtering it
through activated charcoal (or a charcoal filter of some type). Assuming
I would want to filter more than one bottle, which is the most frugal
option?
a) activated charcoal alone
b) a commercial water filter cartridge
c) a special coffee filter
d) an aquarium/other charcoal filter from a pet store

Is activated charcoal common, or would I need to find it somewhere special?
Tom S

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message
> Smirnoff ISN'T rotgut??? It's the holidays, buy some Grey Goose.

Actually, a little research indicates that Chopin is a better choice:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2106004/#ContinueArticle

Tom S

Cwdjrx _

Go to www.google.com and select advanced search. Put in "activated
charcoal"in the exact phrase box and put in "filter" in the required
words box. You will find many links which you will have to sort, as some
are air filters , etc. For one example, www.cooking.com has activated
charcoal filters designed for a coffemaker or two. Also chemical supply
houses sell activated charcoal in bulk that you probably could hold in
place with a paper coffee filter. However, at least in the US, most
chemical supply houses will not sell to the general public. In addition
some water filters that attach to faucets have a smal activated charcoal
filter to remove impurites from water. However you probably would have
to apply pressure to the spirits to force them through this filter in a
reasonable time. Also you would have to make certain that any plastics,
o-rings, and gaskets used in the filter can be used with a solution of
about 50% alcohol in water. This is a wine group, and most of us have
had little experience in processing spirits.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Dana H. Myers

John Smith wrote:
> The purpose of my post was to discover what filters might improve
> economy liquor while not causing me to pay premium. Can anyone offer
> feedback about the original topic?

Well, I thought the topic of your post was how to economically
get filtered liquor. Those Brita filters aren't that cheap.
A 1.75l bottle of Absolut is $23 USD at my local Costco, which
works out to about $10/750ml. That's pretty cheap.

If, on the *wine* newsgroup, we're not answering your question
about *cheap hard liquor* satisfactorily, then you're quite
welcome to ignore anything we say. Given the price you're
paying for the advice, it is rude to become demanding.

Dana

Dana H. Myers

John Smith wrote:
> The purpose of my post was to discover what filters might improve
> economy liquor while not causing me to pay premium. Can anyone offer
> feedback about the original topic?

Well, I thought the topic of your post was how to economically
get filtered liquor. Those Brita filters aren't that cheap.
A 1.75l bottle of Absolut is $23 USD at my local Costco, which
works out to about $10/750ml. That's pretty cheap.

If, on the *wine* newsgroup, we're not answering your question
about *cheap hard liquor* satisfactorily, then you're quite
welcome to ignore anything we say. Given the price you're
paying for the advice, it is rude to become demanding.

Dana
John Smith

Dana, sorry if I came off as "demanding" or "rude." I was asking for
input about the question because I assumed people in this group have
experience filtering wine or possibly other home drinks.

In my area, Absolut is $20 for 750ml. 1.75L at $10 is impossible even
for the cheap ones in my area...

Dana H. Myers wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
>
>> The purpose of my post was to discover what filters might improve
>> economy liquor while not causing me to pay premium. Can anyone offer
>> feedback about the original topic?

> Well, I thought the topic of your post was how to economically
> get filtered liquor. Those Brita filters aren't that cheap.
> A 1.75l bottle of Absolut is $23 USD at my local Costco, which
> works out to about $10/750ml. That's pretty cheap.
>
> If, on the *wine* newsgroup, we're not answering your question
> about *cheap hard liquor* satisfactorily, then you're quite
> welcome to ignore anything we say. Given the price you're
> paying for the advice, it is rude to become demanding.
>
> Dana

jcoulter

John Smith > wrote in :

> Dana, sorry if I came off as "demanding" or "rude." I was asking for
> input about the question because I assumed people in this group have
> experience filtering wine or possibly other home drinks.

superfiltering is not desirable in wine. rough filter to get out sediment
but don't disturb the magic in the bottle.
jcoulter