Dale Williams

Default TN: first mini-holiday party

When we got married 3 years ago Betsy gamely agreed to continue my tradition of
a very large holiday party, way too many people crammed into way too little
space. But last year in our new home with the addition of Lucy the Basset (who
was thrilled to have 80 people in her space, and barked to show it) , she
smiled and struggled through, but I think it was just too much for her. So when
our holiday season was already busy this year, she suggested rather than have
80 people at once, we split it up. So we sent out invites for a series of
dinners (invite 18, if less than 10 we sit down, more is buffet). Sunday was
the opener, a dozen folks came by for a buffet before a small snowfall.

Finger foods were smoked trout (on green apples with horseradish) and mackerel
(with mint & sour cream on cukes). Main course was roasted lamb shanks with
white beans, accompanied by asparagus in a vinaigrette and a salad. Friends
brought latkes and a cake with caramel sauce. Cheeses followed.

Wines included:

2003 Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc
Gooseberry and a little grass, with some grapefruit, mango and a clean finish.
Extra points for the screwcap. B/B+

2001 Françoise and Denis Clair "Les Murgers Dents de Chien" St.-Aubin 1er Cru.
There's a rich nuttiness that I don't remember from previous bottles, but the
deep white fruit (pear with a tinge of lemon) still rings my bells. Nice long
mineral/rock finish, clean and tasty. A-/B+

2002 Domaine Etienne Grey Gevrey-Chambertin
Gevrey for $15? Well, that's what the label says. This isn't a bad wine for
$15, if more characteristic of a midlevel Bourgogne AC than a village Gevrey.
Bright strawberry and cherry fruit, pleasant Pinot but surprisingly light for a
village wine from a rich powerful vintage. No real concentration on the finish.
B (C as a Gevrey)

2002 Estancia "Keyes Canyon Ranches" Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles)
A gift from a non-geek friend. Soft, very ripe Cab, dark fruit and some toasty
oak. Lots of body for a wine I assume to be under $20.Not my favorite style,
but a definite crowd-pleaser to a non-geek crowd. B

2001 Woodbridge Sauvignon Blanc
Brought by a guest. I admit I was on my guard, but I think this wine bore out
my prejudices on its own. Tired and dilute, with the only surprise being a
somewhat flowery (and not very Sauvignon Blanc-ish) nose. Pass. C

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply