bwesley7

Default Gluhwein

I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the "gluhwein" --
hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for this treat?

Bart

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Start with a non-oaked, decent red. A certain fruity sweetness is not amiss.
In it, let steep lemon zest, cinnamom,and cloves, for about an hour or so.
Strain, heat (do not boil), add sugar to taste. Serve with a ski lodge
around it.

Cheers

Nils GUstaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se
"bwesley7" > skrev i meddelandet
>I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the "gluhwein" --
> hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for this treat?
>
> Bart

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Start with a non-oaked, decent red. A certain fruity sweetness is not amiss.
In it, let steep lemon zest, cinnamom,and cloves, for about an hour or so.
Strain, heat (do not boil), add sugar to taste. Serve with a ski lodge
around it.

Cheers

Nils GUstaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se
"bwesley7" > skrev i meddelandet
>I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the "gluhwein" --
> hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for this treat?
>
> Bart

Michael Pronay

"bwesley7" > wrote:

> I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the
> "gluhwein" -- hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for
> this treat?

Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he

<http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>

and follow the instructions on the box.

M.
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> "bwesley7" > wrote:
>
>> I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the
>> "gluhwein" -- hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for
>> this treat?

> Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he
>
> <http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>
>
> and follow the instructions on the box.

That´s cheating, it is.

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> "bwesley7" > wrote:
>
>> I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the
>> "gluhwein" -- hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for
>> this treat?

> Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he
>
> <http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>
>
> and follow the instructions on the box.

That´s cheating, it is.

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

>> Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he
>>
>> <http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>
>>
>> and follow the instructions on the box.

> That´s cheating, it is.

I wouldn't consider that as cheating. Glühwein should warm you up,
and that's all. No need to take anything special out of the
cellar, no need to hassle with orange peels, cinnamon, cloves etc.

Btw, the recipe given on that side forgets sugar. (When I prepare
it, I take nutra-sweet, works as well).

M.
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:
>
>>> Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he
>>>
>>> <http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>
>>>
>>> and follow the instructions on the box.

>> That´s cheating, it is.

> I wouldn't consider that as cheating. Glühwein should warm you up,
> and that's all. No need to take anything special out of the
> cellar, no need to hassle with orange peels, cinnamon, cloves etc.
>
> Btw, the recipe given on that side forgets sugar. (When I prepare
> it, I take nutra-sweet, works as well).

Anything worth doing is worth doing well ... and I´ve never tasted an
out-of-a-bag Glühwein that tasted as good as the one X does on Chrstmas Eve.
But never mind me, I´m an incurable romantic.

Btw, Merry Christmas! Und Prosit Neujahr.

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> Anything worth doing is worth doing well ... and I´ve never
> tasted an out-of-a-bag Glühwein that tasted as good as the one X
> does on Chrstmas Eve. But never mind me, I´m an incurable
> romantic.

Sorry, but Glühwein here in Austria has nothing romantic at all
(except in an alpine hut); the idea of serving it at Xmas eve
seems just about as romantic as serving Foster's Lager.

Sorry once again, but this is not a disagreement about recipes,
but definitely a clash of civilisations ... ;-)

M.
Cwdjrx _

If the weather is especially severe, here are two very old US hot drinks
of a little higher octane number.

Glogg: For each serving, place 1 dessert spoon of sugar, 2 cloves, small
cinnamon stick, 4 unsalted almonds and one spoonful of raisins in a
silver bowl with 2 ounces of Brandy. Ignite and stir until flame dies.
Stir in 1 ounce of Sherry and serve in cups.

Hot Buttered Rum: Scald a mug or Old Fashioned glass. Put in 1 teaspoon
of maple sugar, 1 slice of lemon studded with 6 cloves, 1 stick of
cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Pour in 2 ounces of gold label Rum, fill
with boiling water and drop in a generous gob of unsalted butter.
Carefully float a flaming tablespoon of Rum on top. If you can not find
maple sugar, a medium or golden brown sugar will work fairly well.

The above directions come from The American Drink Book published in
1953. Some of the drinks in the taverns in the very early US had
colorful names such as: Rattle-Skull, Mimbo, Coo-Woo, Manathan,
Rumbullion, Tiff, One Yard of Flannel, Kill-Divil, Whistle-belly
Vengeance.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

bwesley7

I tend to agree with you... we tried the more do-it-yourself approach last
evening (sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, orange slices) with some homemade
pinot noir, and also homemade pear, and the results were universally judged
to be "pretty damned good". We'll be doing that again through the holidays
(and beyond...)!

Bart

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> "Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> > "bwesley7" > wrote:
> >
> >> I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the
> >> "gluhwein" -- hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for
> >> this treat?

> > Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he
> >
> > <http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>
> >
> > and follow the instructions on the box.

> That´s cheating, it is.
>
> Nils Gustaf
>

> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

bwesley7

I tend to agree with you... we tried the more do-it-yourself approach last
evening (sugar, cloves, cinnamon sticks, orange slices) with some homemade
pinot noir, and also homemade pear, and the results were universally judged
to be "pretty damned good". We'll be doing that again through the holidays
(and beyond...)!

Bart

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> "Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> > "bwesley7" > wrote:
> >
> >> I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the
> >> "gluhwein" -- hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for
> >> this treat?

> > Get "Glühfix" spice bags from he
> >
> > <http://www.germandeli.com/tegl25be.html>
> >
> > and follow the instructions on the box.

> That´s cheating, it is.
>
> Nils Gustaf
>

> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Dick R.

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

>>>That´s cheating, it is.

>>I wouldn't consider that as cheating. Glühwein should warm you up,
>>and that's all. No need to take anything special out of the
>>cellar, no need to hassle with orange peels, cinnamon, cloves etc.
>>
>>Btw, the recipe given on that side forgets sugar. (When I prepare
>>it, I take nutra-sweet, works as well).

> Anything worth doing is worth doing well ... and I´ve never tasted an
> out-of-a-bag Glühwein that tasted as good as the one X does on Chrstmas Eve.
> But never mind me, I´m an incurable romantic.
>
> Btw, Merry Christmas! Und Prosit Neujahr.
>
> Nils Gustaf

Hi Nils,
Haven't tried the Gluhwein, but it sounds good. Closest I've come
is a Midwest USA (Minnesota) concoction called "Glog". Kind of
like Gluhwein, but with a few "high-test" additives. One glass
puts you on the floor, 2 glasses put you in the Emergency room.

God Jul!
Dick R. in the USA

Jenny

You want a Dutch recipe:

You take 2 bottles of simpel red wine
No need for an expensive one, just simpel red wine.
I normaly take a simple Cotes du Rhone or a Roussillon.

For 1,5 liter (2 bottles), you take 2 oranges and one lemon.
If you want to have more wine, than you need more oranges etc.

If you think, one bottle is enough, leave the lemon.
But because it drinks like limonade - there is hardly no alcohol in it
anymore, and if it is cold outside, you drink more, you can take about 1
bottle a person.

You put into each orange/lemon, 10 cloves.
You put them into the wine, put 2 or 3 cinnamon rods, quite a lot of sugar
(taste it now and then) and some vanilla sugar.
You put that on your cooker but as low as possible.
You leave it there for hours (3 or 4)
You have to heat it as slowly as possible so that the fruit can come into
the wine and the cloves and cinnamon aswell..
Don't boil it
Enjoy it!

succes

Jenny

Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor!!!!
"bwesley7" > schreef in bericht
>I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the "gluhwein" --
> hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for this treat?
>
> Bart

Dick R.

Jenny wrote:
> You want a Dutch recipe:
>
> You take 2 bottles of simpel red wine
> No need for an expensive one, just simpel red wine.
> I normaly take a simple Cotes du Rhone or a Roussillon.
>
> For 1,5 liter (2 bottles), you take 2 oranges and one lemon.
> If you want to have more wine, than you need more oranges etc.
>
> If you think, one bottle is enough, leave the lemon.
> But because it drinks like limonade - there is hardly no alcohol in it
> anymore, and if it is cold outside, you drink more, you can take about 1
> bottle a person.
>
> You put into each orange/lemon, 10 cloves.
> You put them into the wine, put 2 or 3 cinnamon rods, quite a lot of sugar
> (taste it now and then) and some vanilla sugar.
> You put that on your cooker but as low as possible.
> You leave it there for hours (3 or 4)
> You have to heat it as slowly as possible so that the fruit can come into
> the wine and the cloves and cinnamon aswell..
> Don't boil it
> Enjoy it!
>
> succes
>
> Jenny

Hi Jenny,
Thanks for the recipe!
Dick R. in the USA

Anders Tørneskog

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i melding
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:
>
>> Anything worth doing is worth doing well ... and I´ve never
>> tasted an out-of-a-bag Glühwein that tasted as good as the one X
>> does on Chrstmas Eve. But never mind me, I´m an incurable
>> romantic.

> Sorry, but Glühwein here in Austria has nothing romantic at all
> (except in an alpine hut); the idea of serving it at Xmas eve
> seems just about as romantic as serving Foster's Lager.

I'd agree, given the Glühwein I've had in Austria.... Believe me, even the
standard product is a rather different animal in Sweden... In fact,
enormous quantities are consumed in November and December making "glögg" a
top seller in yearly statistics...
The Norwegians have nothing like that!
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Dick R." > skrev i melding ...
> Haven't tried the Gluhwein, but it sounds good. Closest I've come
> is a Midwest USA (Minnesota) concoction called "Glog". Kind of
> like Gluhwein, but with a few "high-test" additives. One glass
> puts you on the floor, 2 glasses put you in the Emergency room.
>
> God Jul!
> Dick R. in the USA

Of course, what you call 'glog' is what I call 'glögg' - from the verb
'glödga' i.e. making something white-hot. A god glögg sizzles down your
intestines and makes itself comfortable in your tummy leaving the
concentrated sweet and spicy taste in its track.
Nearest comparison might be port on steroids :-)
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Dick R." > skrev i melding ...
> Haven't tried the Gluhwein, but it sounds good. Closest I've come
> is a Midwest USA (Minnesota) concoction called "Glog". Kind of
> like Gluhwein, but with a few "high-test" additives. One glass
> puts you on the floor, 2 glasses put you in the Emergency room.
>
> God Jul!
> Dick R. in the USA

Of course, what you call 'glog' is what I call 'glögg' - from the verb
'glödga' i.e. making something white-hot. A god glögg sizzles down your
intestines and makes itself comfortable in your tummy leaving the
concentrated sweet and spicy taste in its track.
Nearest comparison might be port on steroids :-)
Anders

Jenny

> Hi Nils,
> Haven't tried the Gluhwein, but it sounds good. Closest I've come
> is a Midwest USA (Minnesota) concoction called "Glog". Kind of
> like Gluhwein, but with a few "high-test" additives. One glass
> puts you on the floor, 2 glasses put you in the Emergency room.
>
> God Jul!
> Dick R. in the USA

Hi Dick

Good Glühwein will not knock you dow because you have to put it for hours on
your cooker.
There will be hardly no alcohol left over

greetings

Jenny

Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor!!!!

Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> In fact, enormous quantities are consumed in November and
> December making "glögg" a top seller in yearly statistics...

Yeah, I've seen readymixed bottles of this brew at IKEA's. Never
dared to buy one - my Glühwein being Lafite in comparison with
those ... ;-)

M.

Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> Of course, what you call 'glog' is what I call 'glögg' - from
> the verb 'glödga' i.e. making something white-hot.

Which probably has the same roots as the German "glühen" and the
English "glow".

M.
Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> Of course, what you call 'glog' is what I call 'glögg' - from
> the verb 'glödga' i.e. making something white-hot.

Which probably has the same roots as the German "glühen" and the
English "glow".

M.
Michael Pronay

"Jenny" > wrote:

> Good Glühwein will not knock you dow because you have to put it
> for hours on your cooker. There will be hardly no alcohol left
> over

That would not be accepted as Glühwein in Europe. Quite on the
contrary, all recipies I have seen explicitly tell you to warm it
up, but *never* to cook/boil it.

I don't know what you are talking about, but it's definitely not
"Glühwein".

M.
Michael Pronay

"Jenny" > wrote:

> Good Glühwein will not knock you dow because you have to put it
> for hours on your cooker. There will be hardly no alcohol left
> over

That would not be accepted as Glühwein in Europe. Quite on the
contrary, all recipies I have seen explicitly tell you to warm it
up, but *never* to cook/boil it.

I don't know what you are talking about, but it's definitely not
"Glühwein".

M.
Michael Pronay

"Jenny" > wrote:

[Glühwein]

> Don't boil it

See what I meant!

M.

Anthony Hoare

Hi Jenny

Ian here, depsite the "from"

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:44:46 +0100, "Jenny" > wrote:

>> Hi Nils,
>> Haven't tried the Gluhwein, but it sounds good. Closest I've come
>> is a Midwest USA (Minnesota) concoction called "Glog". Kind of
>> like Gluhwein, but with a few "high-test" additives. One glass
>> puts you on the floor, 2 glasses put you in the Emergency room.

Then it's been over fortified.

>Good Glühwein will not knock you down because you have to put it for hours on
>your cooker.
>There will be hardly no alcohol left over

Sorry Jenny, but in France (Vin chaud), the UK (mulled wine) and in
Austria (Gluhwein) the wine is most definitely NOT simmered for
hours. In principle, you steep spices, sugar and flavourings in_cold_
wine overnight, warm it to near simmering point _covered_ to prevent
evaporation. and then just before serving, pour in brandy/rum/whatever
to strengthen a bit.

By the way, in my experience, mulling is the only way of making a
potable result from a wine that started out undrinkable. By the time
you've soaked cinnamon, cloves orange and brown sugar (which is my
personal preference) in the wine, the original faults - nay flavour -
are well and truly masked.

All the best
Ian
(To reply by email PLEASE don't use "Reply to" but
use my name at wanadoo.fr) Thanks.
Anthony Hoare

Hi Jenny

Ian here, depsite the "from"

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:44:46 +0100, "Jenny" > wrote:

>> Hi Nils,
>> Haven't tried the Gluhwein, but it sounds good. Closest I've come
>> is a Midwest USA (Minnesota) concoction called "Glog". Kind of
>> like Gluhwein, but with a few "high-test" additives. One glass
>> puts you on the floor, 2 glasses put you in the Emergency room.

Then it's been over fortified.

>Good Glühwein will not knock you down because you have to put it for hours on
>your cooker.
>There will be hardly no alcohol left over

Sorry Jenny, but in France (Vin chaud), the UK (mulled wine) and in
Austria (Gluhwein) the wine is most definitely NOT simmered for
hours. In principle, you steep spices, sugar and flavourings in_cold_
wine overnight, warm it to near simmering point _covered_ to prevent
evaporation. and then just before serving, pour in brandy/rum/whatever
to strengthen a bit.

By the way, in my experience, mulling is the only way of making a
potable result from a wine that started out undrinkable. By the time
you've soaked cinnamon, cloves orange and brown sugar (which is my
personal preference) in the wine, the original faults - nay flavour -
are well and truly masked.

All the best
Ian
(To reply by email PLEASE don't use "Reply to" but
use my name at wanadoo.fr) Thanks.
Jenny

>> Good Glühwein will not knock you dow because you have to put it
>> for hours on your cooker. There will be hardly no alcohol left
>> over

> That would not be accepted as Glühwein in Europe. Quite on the
> contrary, all recipies I have seen explicitly tell you to warm it
> up, but *never* to cook/boil it.
>
> I don't know what you are talking about, but it's definitely not
> "Glühwein".

Hi

I specialy said NOT to boil it
You have to put in on your cooker for hours without boiling it
This is from Europe, I'm from the Netherlands
This is maybe not what you get served in places for skiing, but what you get
served at Newyears Eve

greetings

jenny

Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor!!!!

Jenny

>>Good Glühwein will not knock you down because you have to put it for hours
>>on
>>your cooker.
>>There will be hardly no alcohol left over

> Sorry Jenny, but in France (Vin chaud), the UK (mulled wine) and in
> Austria (Gluhwein) the wine is most definitely NOT simmered for
> hours.

Hi

This are the places I wrote in another posting, about places you go for
skiing.
The recipe I meant is for New Years Eve, not for tourists in a hurry! If you
realy want to have the flavour of the oranges etc. in your wine, it takes
the lowest temperature of your cooker and hours
I normaly start about 16.00 to have nice wine at about 20.00...

But evry country (even family) has his own recipe

greetings

Jenny

Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor!!!!

Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i meddelandet
> "Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:
>
>> In fact, enormous quantities are consumed in November and
>> December making "glögg" a top seller in yearly statistics...

> Yeah, I've seen readymixed bottles of this brew at IKEA's. Never
> dared to buy one - my Glühwein being Lafite in comparison with
> those ... ;-)

I fully agree with you, Michael. I do not like Swedish glögg, finding it too
sweet, too alcoholic, and, downright cloying at times.

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Anthony Hoare

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:46:14 +0100, "Jenny" > wrote:

>>>Good Glühwein will not knock you down because you have to put it for hours
>>>on your cooker.
>>>There will be hardly no alcohol left over

>> Sorry Jenny, but in France (Vin chaud), the UK (mulled wine) and in
>> Austria (Gluhwein) the wine is most definitely NOT simmered for
>> hours.

>This are the places I wrote in another posting, about places you go for
>skiing.

Well... without wanting to seem too nitpicking, the UK is not much
more renowned for skiiing than Holland!

The recipes for vin chaud was from a Savoyard family, not a touristy
recipe, and my mother's family has a long association with Austria,
being Hungarian and I only know what they did. The English recipe is
traditional.

>The recipe I meant is for New Years Eve, not for tourists in a hurry!

Absolutely. And what was it you misunderstood in "steep spices, sugar
and flavourings in_cold_ wine overnight"?

I'd not describe this technique as a quick and easy tourist pleaser.

>realy want to have the flavour of the oranges etc. in your wine, it takes
>the lowest temperature of your cooker and hours
>I normaly start about 16.00 to have nice wine at about 20.00...

We both agree that it takes a long maceration, I prefer to use cold
maceration overnight, which is what I know as being authentic in at
least three countries, and has the advantage of NOT losing the
alcohol.

YMMV of course, but then if I may suggest, it is unwise to argue from
your particular preference to general practice as if it were the one
true method.

>But evry country (even family) has his own recipe

Indeed.
All the best
Ian
(To reply by email PLEASE don't use "Reply to" but
use my name at wanadoo.fr) Thanks.
Jenny

your particular preference to general practice as if it were the one true
method.

Bart said

"I was in the Netherlands recently and very much enjoyed the "gluhwein" --
hot, spiced wine. Anybody got a good recipe for this treat? "

You cannot deny, I gave him a Dutch recipe, that was what he was asking for,
wasn't it.......

>>But evry country (even family) has his own recipe

> Indeed.

So finaly we agree, that's nice!

The best

Jenny