Dale Williams

Default TN: Hoares in NY

After a day of airplane delays, Ian and Jacque arrived late Friday night. We
shared a small glass of the already-reported on 2002 Geantet-Pansiot "Champs
Perdix" Marsannay. I escorted them to their hosts' home, and made plans for
them to come to dinner the following night at my place. Betsy was in NC for
trio rehearsals for a couple days, so they needed to put up with my cooking.

Appetizers were simple smoked salmon, along with some (wine-killing) marinated
anchovies. I poured the 2002 Nikolaihof "Hefeabzug" Grüner Veltliner (Wachau).
This wine is made "sur lies" a la Muscadet, and indeed had a freshness similar
to a young Muscadet. Clean bright wine with strong floral aromas, spice
(including the stereotypical white pepper), bright acidity, and mineral finish.
I quite like, though I'll take Michael Pronay's word that it's not wine to age.
B+

Main course was steak (coffee-crusted porterhouse and simpler sirloin- there
was some doubt about numbers for a while, and the last batch of meat got
simpler treatment), with some broccollini on the side. My friend Gabrielle
brought mashed potatoes and mushrooms. The wines we

1990 Ch. de Sales (Pomerol)
A gift from Arvind Rao, and what a gift. I always think of de Sales kind of
like Clos Rene- very nice Merlots, but without that archtypical Pomerol
lushness. Well, this one was classic Pomerol all the way through. Deep dark
fruit, huge notes of coffee and chocolate, and a rich velvety texture. Decanted
about an hour before guests arrived, it gained complexity through the night,
with hints of leather, anise, and flowers. Very very nice. A-

1993 Arrowfield Show Reserve Shiraz (McClaren Vale)
I don't have a lot of experience at aging Oz wines, and was worried this might
be cracking up. It actually didn't show old at all, but that didn't mean it
showed as especially complex, either. Straightforward blackberry fruit, some
vanilla/cedar notes. Sweet edge to the fruit, might have shown better against
lesser competition. B/B-

A cheese course followed (a rather too-mature Neals Yard cheddar, some aged
Gouda, a Colson Basset Stilton on it's last legs), to go with the Stilton we
had the 1994 Taylor-Fladgate LBV. Medium-bodied, a bit of volatilty quickly
blew off. Flavors of raisins, blackcurrants, and licorice. Not bad. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

that should read Jacquie, of course!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

that should read Jacquie, of course!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Tom S

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
....a whole lot of his usual good tasting notes on both wines and
accompanying food...

Glad to hear that I&J arrived safely, and that you all are having a good
time! Sounds like Dale cooks a good deal better than I do - but probably
not on a par with Keller (French Laundry). ;^)

Tom S

Ron Lel

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
lots snipped
\ Dale Williams

Arrowfield was never a wine to age. If you wish to age Oz wines, try a
decent Coonawarra, a Mount Mary or a Clare such as a Birks. The Birks from a
good vintage will go for 25 years +. I am still drinking the Birks pressings
'71, which cost me the princely sum of $2.00Aud per bottle.

Ron Lel