Default TN's: recent Italians, and a Port and Loire

A mixed bag of wines recently consumed:

Feudi di San Gregorio, Greco di Tufo, 2000
A slight brownish glean to the gold color. Very fragrant nose with waxy
pears, kumquat, and some golden summer straw. Pear and honey-lemon
Luden's=AE , with a sweet dried-fruit finish. Medium in weight but with
a pleasant heft to it, and a smooth ripe roundness. Drinking well now,
but probably wouldn't want to keep much longer. B+

Da Inama, Veneto Rosso, 'Bradisismo', 2000
My first hint that something might be amiss with this wine was seeing a
slight browning through the deeply colored liquid. I sensed a bit of
tiredness to it. Plum brandy, old Polish blackcurrant fruit syrup and a
slight vegetal note on the finish. This echoes on the palate, along
with some spices, reminiscent of an aged Pesquera, and I mean aged.
Tasting blind I'd say this acted like an 8-10 year old wine. With more
air, this seemed to take on a cooked quality and some minor corked
notes. Not sure if this was a bad bottle or not. Judgement reserved. [a
blend of Cabernet and Carmenere 70/30]

Fonseca, Guimaraens Vintage Porto, 1995
Early by a decade, but still yummy, with roasted coffee, carob, and
blackberries. Surprisingly, not a lot of sediment on this. Not very
concentrated, but fine. A bargain Port for $30.
B+/A-

Chateau d'Epire, Savennieres, 1998
A light medium gold. A citrus twang in the nose, followed closely by
kiwi and honeyed quince. What's not to like here? Some lemon and
lanolin, candlewax, and a lemon & sumac finish that has hints of guava
paste. The finish is round, but a little short. But from an off-year,
this is performing much better than anticipated. B+/ 87-8

Cantina Convento Muri-Gries, S=FCdtiroler, Lagrein, 2001 Not quite as
black as a Cantina Terlano lagrein I had last year, but still dark as
night. A strong elderberry nose. This is all about berries:
elderberries, blackberries, and blackcurrants boisted by a pleasing
acidity which makes sipping this feel like having a summer picnic in
the Alps. I'm feeling like Heidi is sitting right next to me already.
Medium-lighter bodied, fresh in feeling, and finishes with a whiff of
smoke and a pleasant grip. B+/A- (89-90)

Xyzsch

>Cantina Convento Muri-Gries, S=FCdtiroler, Lagrein, 2001 Not quite as
>black as a Cantina Terlano lagrein I had last year, but still dark as
>night. A strong elderberry nose. This is all about berries:
>elderberries, blackberries, and blackcurrants boisted by a pleasing
>acidity which makes sipping this
>feel like having a summer picnic in
>the Alps. I'm feeling like Heidi is sitting right next to me already.
>Medium-lighter bodied, fresh in feeling, and finishes with a whiff of
>smoke and a pleasant grip. B+/A- (89-90)

Mark

Don't tell Ha athat you have Heidi sitting next to you.

Tom Schellberg

TN: Church gala, with Mosel, Bdx, Italians, Loire, Cali, CdP etc DaleW Wine 1 27-02-2017 07:27 PM
TN: Surprise dinner with Bordeaux, plus Rieslings, Italians, Burg,Loire DaleW Wine 5 11-10-2016 04:05 PM
recent Loire wines Emery Davis` Wine 5 12-08-2014 03:32 PM
TN: NYS reds, plus some Italians, Loire, Languedoc, and Bdx DaleW Wine 1 10-01-2010 08:53 AM
Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) Kate B General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 10:29 PM