Default French crisis

French Wine Growers Protest Weak Market

2 hours, 23 minutes ago World - AP

By WILLIAM J. KOLE, Associated Press Writer

PARIS - Wine is less a beverage than an elixir of life in France, but the
country's vintners say they're vexed by a problem that threatens their
livelihood - too much of a good thing and not enough people drinking it.

AP Photo

Pinched by overproduction, shrinking exports, advertising restrictions, an
aggressive campaign against alcohol abuse and changing drinking habits, at
least 6,000 growers and winemakers staged spirited demonstrations nationwide
Wednesday to press the government for help.

"We are a sector in crisis," said Jean-Michel Lemetayer, the head of
France's main farmer union, urging the state to bail out an industry awash
in a sea of Chablis and Bordeaux.

Vintners wearing black armbands marched through Bordeaux, Avignon, Angers,
Macon, Nantes, Tours and other cities in key winemaking regions to urge the
Agriculture Ministry to help offset their financial losses.

Protesters from vineyards that make the celebrated Cote du Rhone reds
carried a mock coffin with the inscription: "Here lies the last winemaker."

France's wine industry, which employs about 500,000 people, says exports
through Aug. 31 dropped by more than 5.5 percent in volume and 9.6 percent
in value. Experts say Bordeaux was particularly hard hit, with foreign sales
of its signature reds down 25 percent.

Vintners say overproduction worldwide, and especially in France - which
harvested a bumper crop of grapes this year - has glutted a market where
French wines already face fierce competition from vintages from California,
Chile and Australia.

In the past, producers of cheap table wine suffered the most when there was
a surplus. Now, makers of more prestigious "appellation" wines face
bankruptcy if prices keep sinking, the Confederation of French Wine
Cooperatives warned.

Agriculture Minister Dominique Bussereau promised to meet with industry
leaders next week. "The government understands these difficulties," he said.

Aggressive campaigns against alcohol abuse and drunken driving also appear
to have curbed consumption.

President Jacques Chirac, determined to reduce the 45,000 deaths a year
blamed on alcohol, launched a crackdown in 2002 that officials say has led
to a dramatic decline in road deaths - but also has been blamed for a drop
in wine sales.

"Thanks to the sword thrusts by the French state, wine is becoming
synonymous with alcoholism," the Wine Academy of France, a group
representing top wine makers and growers, said in a statement last week.

The industry is lobbying the government to ease tough restrictions on
alcohol advertising in an effort to stimulate sales and counter the growing
popularity of beer and other beverages among younger drinkers.

The average Frenchman now drinks half as much wine as in 1961. Nonetheless,
France continues to rank No. 1 in the world in per capita wine consumption,
with the average person putting away some 13 gallons a year.

"We just want to promote products that consumers already understand carry no
risk if they drink with moderation," Lemetayer said.

He and others contend that wine - which traditionally has enjoyed special
protections as a part of French culture - shouldn't be lumped with hard
liquor like whiskey.

"Wine is a part of France's cultural heritage. We shouldn't demonize it,"
said Karine Pech, 28, who works in publishing in Paris. "It's not a strong
drink, and consumed with moderation, it's a part of a good meal."

Since 1991, advertisements for alcoholic drinks in France have been allowed
to contain only factual information about a product, including its name,
manufacturer, alcohol content and origin.

Last month, the state-funded National Association for the Prevention of
Alcoholism and Addiction urged Chirac to oppose a move in parliament to let
print or television ads also mention the color, smell and taste of wines.

But under pressure from vintners, Chirac's ruling conservatives in the lower
chamber backed the push to loosen the advertising restrictions. The Senate
is expected to take up the measure in January.

Gregory Lozinski, a 22-year-old businessman, said he empathizes with
winemakers - even though he only drinks about a bottle a week.

"I can understand that the wine industry is anxious," he said. "I'm a
partisan of freedom: If you want to get drunk and die of alcohol abuse,
that's your problem."

Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb.mar10112081756.france_wine_crisis_mar101.jpg (4.4 KB, 32 views)
Cwdjrx _

The January 2005 issue of Decanter that I just received contains two
short stories in the news section concerning this matter.

"French exports plummet". According to the FEVS exports of still wines
fell 5.6% in volume and 9.6% in value in the first 8 months of 2004
compared to the same period last year. Bordeaux suffered most, with
exports down by 10.4% in volume and 25.4% in value. On the bright side,
Champagne grew 7% in volume and 10.3% in value. Between 1998 and 2003,
wine exports fell by 12%. Bordeaux trade chief Christian Delpeuch is
wanting a vine pull scheme to increase quality, creation of a mixed vins
de pays/vins d'appellation zone, and use f oak chips in generic wines.
He claims: "30% of our wine is either not adapted to the market or is of
questionable quality."

"French consider PR move". The government is considering making health
warnings for pregnant women compulsory on wine bottles. The French
deputies have voted to ammend the Evin law to allow wider advertising of
wine.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.