FoodBanter.com

-   -   1989 Lynch Bages (TN) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/46562-1989-lynch-bages-tn.html)

Marc Branch 01-12-2004 05:04 PM

1989 Lynch Bages (TN)

My wife and I recently had our annual bottle, to celebrate our
anniversary (15th this year), of the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages.

This wine is aging at a glacial pace. My wine closet is relatively
warm, 60 degrees F, so those of you holding this in cooler storage
should be working on extending your life span it you intend to drink
this wine at its peak.

Color: Still very dark with just hint of reddish mahogany at the rim.
It completly blocked all light from a 75W halogen lamp about a foot
from the glass. That is, it remains the "black wine in the lunch
bag." Interestingly, the wine has deposited almost no sediment.

Nose: Still somewhat restrained. Some pencil shavings, but the
brooding power is evident.

On the palate. Enormously mouthfilling with largely cassis flavor,
with just hints of spiciness and cedar. Still quite tannic, but
considerably more accessible than a couple of years ago.
The finish is mostly tea and leather.

The wine was still pretty tight a day later (left one glass in the
bottle overnight).

Given the slow evolution of the wine, I am contemplating moving to
opening a bottle every other year, rather than each year.

Cheers to all.

Marc

Dale Williams 01-12-2004 05:42 PM

>Given the slow evolution of the wine, I am contemplating moving to
>opening a bottle every other year, rather than each year.

I think that's an excellent plan. My notes from a vertical last year:
Big, still a little underdeveloped. Currently showing simpler than the '88, but
lots of potential. A-/B+

I think there's 5-10 years before it reaches it true plateau.

thanks for notes
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Dale Williams 01-12-2004 05:42 PM

Mark Lipton 02-12-2004 12:58 AM

Marc Branch wrote:
> My wife and I recently had our annual bottle, to celebrate our
> anniversary (15th this year), of the 1989 Ch. Lynch Bages.

Thanks for the informative notes, Marc. As we have only 1 bottle,
perhaps we'll open it for our 25th anniversary in 2014 ;-)

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton 02-12-2004 12:58 AM