FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Languedoc (and not), Burgs, Champagne, MSR, etc (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/454319-tn-languedoc-not-burgs.html)

[email protected] 25-05-2021 07:09 PM

TN: Languedoc (and not), Burgs, Champagne, MSR, etc

A great spring night, my local nonserious group gathered on Freds porch for Languedoc night.

2019 Gaujal de St. Bon Picpoul de Pinet
Ligh, crisp, saline. B

2020 Roc des Anges Papillon
Musky, slightly chemical, others liked more than me, C/C+

2018 Domaine de Lancyre Roussanne
Pear, honey, wax. I think well made but Im not a big Roussane fan. B/B-

2015 Mas De Daumas Gassac blanc
Chenin Blanc/Petit Manseng/ Viognier/ Chardonnay. Flowers and white fruit, wax, wool, citrus. Fun and very different. B+/A-

2020 Les Chemins de Bassac L'Incandescente
Syrah rose. Strawberries and herbs, moderate acids, some light funk. B-

On to the blind reds

2018 Chateau La Canorgue (Luberon)
Apparently staff at local store confused about geography. . I was guessing Grenache (its Syrah/Grenache/Mouvedre). Ripe, raspberry and strawberry, some smoke and meat. B

2019 (Iche/dOupia) Les Heretiques
Juicy, forward, straightforward, red fruits with smoke and herbs. Good QPR. B

2012 Mas De Daumas Gassac rouge
I didnt guess because Fred had let slip. Structured, firm, classy. A-/B+

2019 Hortus Le Loup dans la Bergerie
Others liked this more than me. Berries, bacon, a bit short. B-

2018 Chateau Maris Minervois La Liviniere Natural Selection
Tangy, black fruited, a bit sharp. B

2017 Clos La Coutale Cahors
As mentioned, folks were consulting with a geographically challenged store. I guessed Cabernet. Dark fruit, structured, decent length. B

1998 La Coume du Roy Maury
I think this was fine, but I was getting ready to leave, didnt pay much attention, and have little reference for Maury.
Some friends over Saturday. Started with radishleaf pesto on radish, gravlax canapes, pickled ramps, and oysters

Marguet Shaman 15 Extra Brut Champagne
Brisk, fine, pure. A-/B+

2019 Piuze Terroir de Chablis Chablis
Chalk, white fruits, nervy, fun. B+

1990 Bernard Morey €œCharmois€ Saint-Aubin 1er
After 2 good bottles this one is pretty advanced. Tired yellow fruit, oxidative notes, short. C

Main was sousvide/grilled pork tenderloin, weisswurst, squash, couscous, salad (followed by cheese and fruit salad)

2011 Coudert/Roilette Cuvee Tardive Fleurie
Wow, in a good place. Black and red cherry, dirt, smoke, a touch of mocha. Lovely mouthfeel, perfect balance. Long. A-

2006 Domaine de l'Arlot €œClos-des-ForĂȘts St. Georges€ Nuits St.-Georges 1er
Still a bit structured, exotic nose, bold black cherry fruit, nice finish. B+

1993 Albert Morot Beaune- Greves 1er
Tart raspberry fruit, resolved tannin, somewhat sharp acids. Never really integrates, seems volatile after a bit. B-

Wonderful to be with old friends

Sunday grilled mackerel, sourdough scallion pancakes, sauteed spinach, and the 2016 Heymann-Löwenstein Winninger Röttgen Riesling GG (#9) Takes a while to open. Peach, lemon, mineral, basil/mint. Long finish. Sorry this was my only bottle. B+

Monday retrieved Betsy from airport, had oysters (with leftover white Burg), coq au vin from freezer, with couscous and broccoli. Wine was the 2002 Dominique Laurent Mazis-Chambertin VV. I believe this was a gift, I am not a DL buyer. But Im actually quite pleasantly surprised. If it was €œ200% oak€, it has integrated nicely, coming across as a kind of perfumey sandalwood note. Sweet black cherry, mushroom/truffle, that sandalwood. Its not super long, but its very good. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.