Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bordeaux, Riesling, OR Chard, and more

Friday my non-serious local group got together on patio, theme was Bordeaux But Not Medcc. I had a couple dozen oysters, Fred and Rob helped with shucking.

1992 Les Plantiers du Haut Brion
Couple of bottles of this were in a mixed lot, I had zero expectations (and didnt include in bid). A second wine from awful vintage (at least for reds, but don't think whites that much better). What a pleasant surprise (though incredible color in bottle gave me hint there was a chance). Bright, full, with pineapple, coconut, and mild grassy notes. Good length, no hurry here. B+

1996 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
Mature, but not tired, lemon and mineral, mild oxidative notes, wax and oak.. B+

On to reds, with Hanger steak in bo ssam marinade, sausages, pork tenderloin, bacon potato salad, Hummus, baba ganoush, cheese, charcuterie.

Wines were blind
Plummy, not apparent oak, fresh. I guess right bank satellite. 2016 Ch. Cantelaudette Cuvee Prestige (Graves de Vayres)
100% merlot, this is an appellation in Entre Deux Mers despite name, B/B+

This shows a bit of age, though no bricking on edges. Black fruit, some cigar smoke and leather, I guess early 2000s Graves. 2008 Ch. Simard (St. Emilion) B

No guesses as I supplied for someone who didnt have anything on theme. Good showing, Ripe plum and cassis, a little mocha and smoke, resolved tannin, balanced acid. 2005 Ch. Picque Caillou (Pessac-Leognon) , B+/B

Bright acids, some slightly green Cab notes, light vanilla, 2017 Ch. Haut Biraud (Bordeaux) B-

Redder fruit, a bit tarry, some slightly maderized notes, clipped finish,I guess older satellite St Emilon, 2016 Ch Ferrande (Graves). Unsure if this is correct. C+/B-

Mine so no guesses, Black plum and cassis, coffee, cigarbox box. Long balanced and complex. Everyones favorite (except one guy who is the Navin Johnson of our group), 1985 Ch. Certan du May A-

Opened a previously coravinned bottle of "83 Graham that was a great and complex way to end night, Tons of fun with old friends.

Saturday we had a nice lunch with good friends on their patio with beautiful view. Kung pao chicken was excellent, and I enjoyed both wines a lot (And company even more)

2007 R. Haart PIesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett
Good acidic balance, exotic tropical fruits, mineral, citrus. Light sweetness in balance snappy, A-/B+

2007 JJ Prum Graacher Himmelreich Auslese (375) (Pretty sure this was GKA but cant swear)
Great acids ( i know people say 2007 was low acid, but not either of these), mineral, pit fruits, honied but bright. A-

That night lemon sole, farro, broccoli rabe
2018 Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge
Chalky minerality, citrus, fresh, long. B+

Sunday oysters (wirth leftover Goodfellow), Leftover pork, hanger steak, potato salad, spinach
2001 Ch. Chasse Spleen
Ripe, a bit plush, fruity and ready to go. Not complex but ok. B/B-

Up to Mohonk Mountain House Monday, we got in a hike in afternoon (in our raincoats). At dinner we shared an ahi poke bowl and a chicory salad, then cod and duck breast for mains. Just BTG wine:

2019 Eidosela Albarino
Grassy, dilute, grassy.C/C+

2017 Collotte Les Grasses Tetes Marsannay
Black cherry and cranberry, a little stemmy greeness, spice, I liked.B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.