Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bdx, Burg, Loire, Champagne, Barolo, Lambrusco, Napa

An outside small dinner party, started with pate, olives, and the NV Barbichon Reserve 4 Cépages Brut Champagne (disgorged May 2017, 70% PN, 10% pinot blanc, 10% pinot meunier 10% chardonnay, 4 g/l dosage). Crisp and zesty, snappy apple fruit, chalky minerality, nice finish. . B+/A-

Short ribs braised in dashi/miso, bok choy, & rice

1985 Rocche dei Manzoni Vigna Big Barolo Riserva
Cherry/kirsch notes with a slightly roasted edge, plenty of tar, some leather, some wood tannin. . Tasty but I would have guessed this as a very hot year, which I dont think "85 particularly was. B

OK,a big event. Over to some friends for an inside dinner party (7 vaccinated people), first in 14 months

Charcuterie, smoked fish (bluefish and salmon)
2018 Chiarli Lambrusco Grasparossa di Castelvetro Vigneto Cialdini
Mild petillance, grapey, somewhat tannic, but good with the charcuterie. B

Watercress/basil salad with raisins, nuts, apples, and pecorino
2020 Thibaud Boudignon Rose de Loire.
Cranberry and melon, moderate acids, easygoing . B/B-

Main was shrimp with leeks and cannellini
2015 Arnot Roberts Watson Ranch Chardonnay
I dont think I would have guessed Napa Chard if blind! Pear, floral notes, flinty mineral finish. Bright. 12/5% abv! B++

2017 La Haubette Sancerre
Grassy and somewhat short. B-/C+

There was cheese for me, pies (key lime and rhubarb/cherry) for others.
2002 von Othegraven Kanzemer Altenberg Riesling Auslese (auction bottling) 375 ml
Lots of botrytis, this is honied with pineapple and spice. Good acids, but the noble rot notes are a bit much for me (I prefer a real Auslese experience). B-

Sunday started off with the first ramp foraging of the year. Was feeling pretty good, till a local friend sent me picture of the 20+ morels he found!

Oysters, skate in caper sauce, rice, grilled ramps, eggplant, salad
2012 Lamy Clos de la Chatenière St. Aubin 1er
apple and pear, meyer lemon, hint of hazelnut, balanced, textbook white Burg. B+/A-

Monday roast chicken with caramelized ramps , sweet potato, maitakes, salad.. Zoom group wine was the 1996 Gruaud Larose. Tobacco and saddle leather, cassis, on leaner side but fun; structured. Classic St Julien, though one person said more 1995 than 1996, and I agreed. One person had lots of brett on her bottle, but not mine, just the leathery note. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.