Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Umbria, Loire, Bdx, MSR, Rheinhessen, CdR

The 2005 Sainte-Colombe (Cotes de Castillon) was mainly used for cooking. For drinking it was holding on, still a touch of tannin, red plum fruit and some smoke. Not very long, but as it was $9 dont think Ill complain. B-/C+

Betsy made two dutch ovens of chili (one for neighbors, a bit spicier one for us). Probably called for beer, but Im a wine guy so opened the 2008 Coudoulet de Beaucastel. Cotes du Rhone. Some slightly chewy tannin, black cherry, herbs. B

Saturday I made butter chicken (with no butter), served with samosa and pakora, naan, rice, lime pickles, chutney. I had intended to open Riesling in any case, when I learned it was International Riesling Day I opened two

2015 Richter €śWehlener Sonnenuhr€ť Riesling Kabinett
Young but tasty, not a Spatlese in disguise, good acids and taut. B+

2005 Gunderloch €śNackenheim Rothenberg€ť Auslese
Botrytis bomb, honied, young. Big, tropical and not very developed. Screwcap but no real reductive notes. B/B-

Sunday was oysters with Asian pear mignonette, Miso black cod, bok choy with black beans, rice. Wine was the 2019 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray Sec. Nervy,.rocky, full. A-

Zoom group was BYO Monday, Betsy made bolognese plus broccoli with fried shallots, I opened the 1998 Paolo Bea Montefalco Rosso. Loads of sediment. Pretty lifted nose (VA), but calmer on palate. Very floral (violets), orange peel, light bright cherry. Interesting and tasty, not tired but not a lot left in tank. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency,