Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Drouhin Macon, Alesia (Rhys) RRV

Betsy was making a savory bread pudding (ham, mushrooms) from Tartine cookbook and needed some white wine. The next day I tasted the 2018 Drouhin St. Veran. Year after year, one of my top QPRs in white Burg. Apple and pear, floral notes and a little nutskin, full but with plenty of acidic verve. B+/B

I made coriander/Aleppo chicken with cauliflower, salad. I didnt think Id need the Durand for the
2006 Alesia (Rhys) Green Valley Pinot Noir, but it was the cork from hell. Crumbled/disintegrated, tried using Ah So and just moved it around, eventually punched a hole through and decanted through screen. The wine was actually fine, red cherry and cranberry, some spice, good acids, plenty of life. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency,
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/12/21 12:08 PM, wrote:
> Betsy was making a savory bread pudding (ham, mushrooms) from Tartine cookbook and needed some white wine. The next day I tasted the 2018 Drouhin St. Veran. Year after year, one of my top QPRs in white Burg. Apple and pear, floral notes and a little nutskin, full but with plenty of acidic verve. B+/B

That has been my go-to recommendation to non-winegeek types for a good
value in a crowd-pleasing Chardonnay.

> I made coriander/Aleppo chicken with cauliflower, salad. I didnt think Id need the Durand for the
> 2006 Alesia (Rhys) Green Valley Pinot Noir, but it was the cork from hell. Crumbled/disintegrated, tried using Ah So and just moved it around, eventually punched a hole through and decanted through screen. The wine was actually fine, red cherry and cranberry, some spice, good acids, plenty of life. B/B+

Do I misremember? I thought you owned a Durand.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 2:55:23 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 3/12/21 12:08 PM, wrote:
> > Betsy was making a savory bread pudding (ham, mushrooms) from Tartine cookbook and needed some white wine. The next day I tasted the 2018 Drouhin St. Veran. Year after year, one of my top QPRs in white Burg. Apple and pear, floral notes and a little nutskin, full but with plenty of acidic verve. B+/B

> That has been my go-to recommendation to non-winegeek types for a good
> value in a crowd-pleasing Chardonnay.
> >
> > I made coriander/Aleppo chicken with cauliflower, salad. I didnt think Id need the Durand for the
> > 2006 Alesia (Rhys) Green Valley Pinot Noir, but it was the cork from hell. Crumbled/disintegrated, tried using Ah So and just moved it around, eventually punched a hole through and decanted through screen. The wine was actually fine, red cherry and cranberry, some spice, good acids, plenty of life. B/B+

> Do I misremember? I thought you owned a Durand.
>
> Mark Lipton

I do have a Durand . I just generally pull it out for 25+ year old bottles, for this century I just use a pulltap. Once the waiters corkscrew had basically drilled through I didn't think the worm would make a difference, so just tried regular Ah So. This wasn't like a dried out cork, it was ...disintegrating. On another forum someone said the 2006/2007 Rhys corks started crumbling 10 years ago. When I posted on CT I saw several references (though wine sound in each case).