Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Nahe, Wachau, Liguria, Beaijolais, Provence, Champagne, Burgundy

Momofuko recipe for spicy pork chops and carrots
2015 Martin Mullen Trarbacher Huhnerberg Kabinett Trocken
Somewhat shrill, austere. I decided it wasnt a good match. Actually better on day 3, but on day 1 B-/C+

2005 Descombes Morgon
I recently found a forgotten bottle nestled with some "09s, wondered if past it, but this was what I hope for in aged Cru Beaujolais. Red fruit, orange zest, a hint of barnyard. Acids still fresh, tannins resolved, elegant and long. A-

No wine Thursday (first Pfizer dose, didnt want wine in case I needed ibuprofen -didnt).

Friday some friends came over (tables in separate rooms facing doorway, air purifier in between).

Canapes Cockles in brine, Jamon Iberico
NV Bremont Cuvee Prestige Brut Champagne
Typical lovely bottle of this- Parker house rolls, crisp apple fruit, plenty of minerality, fine mousse. B+

Pork chops in a lemon-caper sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, kale
2014 Nikolaihof €śSteiner Hund€ť Riesling (Wachau)
Stony, structured, good but very young. For drinking now B, but A- potential to me

2019 Terenzuola €śVigne Basse€ť Vermentino (Colli di Luni)
Light and a bit dilute, apple with a little grass, its wet and works as cooking wine. C+

Saturday we got one lobster as an appetizer
2019 Piuze €śTerroir de Chablis€ť Chablis
Seriously good for Chablis AC. Crisp lemon and pear, chalky minerality, vibrant acids. B++
One more (petty I admit) reason I wish this whole pandemic was past is that Id love to get a few people together to try all the village terroir wines together. Inconvenient for just Betsy and I!

Roast chicken, leftover sweet potatoes, spinach
2011 Chevillon Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Vieilles Vignes
I ran across this and thought €śwell they say 2011 is early drinking, and it is a village wine.€ť Well, its also Chevillon. Tannic and acidic structure, the fruit is there but held in check. B/B- for drinking now, I think this will be excellent but this might be my only bottle

Sunday another couple (same setup) we started with canapes (taramasalata and tzatziki) and then oysters
2008 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne
Full, moderate acids, mildly brioche-y, good but not a head turner. Disappointing in light of vintage rep. B

Main course was Fluke ssam , with side of baby Shanghai

2019 Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg Riesling GG
A baby but a stunning baby. Citrus, pit fruits, ginger, smoke. Nervy but not sharp, long and precise. A-

For our Zoom group, the 2004 Pradeaux Bandol (with leg of lamb, duck fat potatoes, kale). Pretty herby when first decanted, fruit deepens, but then it seemed to shut down into a wall of tannin and acid. Some discussion of whether it needs time, or if tannin will just dominate. At best point B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency,
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/2/21 4:18 PM, wrote:
> Momofuko recipe for spicy pork chops and carrots
> 2015 Martin Mullen Trarbacher Huhnerberg Kabinett Trocken
> Somewhat shrill, austere. I decided it wasnt a good match. Actually better on day 3, but on day 1 B-/C+

I have a number of MĂĽllen's Trockens in the cellar. Not a good sign
based on your reaction to this one.

> Saturday we got one lobster as an appetizer
> 2019 Piuze €śTerroir de Chablis€ť Chablis
> Seriously good for Chablis AC. Crisp lemon and pear, chalky minerality, vibrant acids. B++
> One more (petty I admit) reason I wish this whole pandemic was past is that Id love to get a few people together to try all the village terroir wines together. Inconvenient for just Betsy and I!

I hear you. We end up with the dilemma of finishing a bottle between
the two of us or storing it for later, then dealing with a collection of
opened bottles a week or two later. In the end, we're probably
consuming more during our self-selected quarantine.

> Roast chicken, leftover sweet potatoes, spinach
> 2011 Chevillon Nuits St Georges 1er Cru Vieilles Vignes
> I ran across this and thought €śwell they say 2011 is early drinking, and it is a village wine.€ť Well, its also Chevillon. Tannic and acidic structure, the fruit is there but held in check. B/B- for drinking now, I think this will be excellent but this might be my only bottle

Woof! An '11 with that much tannin? That reminds me of my '07 Chandon
de Briailles P-V IdV bottles that have been hard as rocks.

> Main course was Fluke ssam , with side of baby Shanghai

Wow, I like the sound of this course especially. Is it also from the
Momofuku cookbook?

Congrats, BTW, on getting your first dose of vaccine. Coincidentally,
Jean and I both got ours on the same day as you. Jean was almost giddy
with excitement thinking about being able to travel and go out again

Fun notes, as always!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 12:35:41 AM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote

> > Main course was Fluke ssam , with side of baby Shanghai

> Wow, I like the sound of this course especially. Is it also from the
> Momofuku cookbook?
>

> Congrats, BTW, on getting your first dose of vaccine. Coincidentally,
> Jean and I both got ours on the same day as you. Jean was almost giddy
> with excitement thinking about being able to travel and go out again
>
> Fun notes, as always!
> Mark Lipton

We have the cookbook, but I got this from website
https://peachykeen.momofuku.com/reci...harred-onions/

Someone gave me Momofuko pantry set (unnecessary gift for schlepping bottles for our ZOom group to her in NYC, I was in city anyway)
Fun stuff. But easy to do recipe without - really good tamari and chili crisp, but could use any. For the savory salt add maybe shittake powder and nori.

Congrats on your shots. I'm looking forward to travel, but even more to dinner parties.