FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Good wine week- Cos, Chermette, Burgs, Baudry, CHampagnes, Canarys (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/453670-tn-good-wine-week.html)

[email protected] 23-02-2021 08:46 PM

TN: Good wine week- Cos, Chermette, Burgs, Baudry, CHampagnes, Canarys

Buttermilk brined roast chicken, potatoes with creme fraiche, broccoli, and a daikon slaw.
2018 Chermette €śles Garants€ť Fleurie
I noticed the label didnt mention Domaine du Vissoux, I asked John Gilman about this, he said €śJean-Etienne Chermette has decided to put the family name on his labels from here on out, so the Domaine du Vissoux is no longer going to be used on the labeling. €ś Interesting.
In any case its a lovely wine, rich black cherry fruit, a little tobacco leaf, smoke. Bright acidic spine, supple tannin, long finish. Certainly could age but delicious now, B+/A-

A friend had a birthday Th, in previous weeks his wife had gotten party bags (Champagne, hats, banners) to each Zoom guest, The plan was for those of us in central Westchester to share a big order of a Chinese New Year feast from Aberdeen, there was about 5 inches of snow but Nick and I were game to split up delivery. But the restaurant closed for weather (wimps). So each left to own devices- Betsy and I made Momofuko spicy shrimp, and got cinnamon beef & pork shu mai from freezer. Fun Zoom call, and I LOVED the furnished wine, the NV Alexandre Filaine €śCuvee Confidence€ť Champagne. The winemaker Fabrice Gass (Filaine was his uncle) is a retiree from Bollinger. Beautifully tense, electric acidity, very long. Pear, citrus, pit fruits, chalk. Lovely and leesy. A-

Friday was cumin lamb steaks, cavatelli with kale pesto, baby carrots
2016 Borja Prez ArtĂ*fice Tinto (Ycoden-Daute-Isora, Tenerife)
Raspberry/cranberry, very herbal, fun. B/B+

Some friends came over (tables in separate rooms facing doorway, air purifier in between.

Jamon iberico, Blue Hill beef salami, hummus, baba ganoush
NV Pierre Peters Cuvee Reserve
Nice BdB, green apple, citrus, toast. B+/B

Then bouillabaisse with a side of broccoli
1990 Bernard Morey Charmois Saint Aubin 1er
One guest is not a wine person but loves white Burg, and she adored this. Really drinking quite well. A little vanilla & hazelnut, pear and tropical fruit, that 1990 ripeness, but with enough acid to balance. B+

2019 Baudry Chinon Rose
I didnt have any Provencal Rose, but this was fine; Taut, minerally, bright. B/B+

Sunday we started with oysters and the 2018 Les Heritiers du Comte Lafon St.. Veran. I didnt love this, but I think more the match than the wine. More Lafon than Veran. Some oak, very ripe fruit, long, but lacking in the cut I wanted. B- this night, will be interested to try with a better pairing.

Japanese curry chicken with rice, spinach with sesame, and the 2005 Auguste and Lucie Lignier Chambolle-Musigny Les Bussieres (a village wine). I told Betsy the sad story behind this producer. This is drinking quite nicely, red fruit and flowers, a hint of sandalwood, fine tannin, integrated acids. B+

Monday cheeseburger, miso slaw, & broccoli for our Zoom group. Wine was the 1983 Cos dEstournel. Im not a huge Cos fan, but this was delicious, in a fully mature way. Quite elegant for Cos, red fruit and perfume, some leathery notes, very nice length. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency,