Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: France, USA, Greece, Germany

Lots of snow outside, seemed time for some choucroute garnie, with the 2009 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling. Broader, riper than most CFEs, rich peach accented with ginger and flint, while broad theres plenty of juicy acidity. Fun, delicious, though maybe not a CFE for the ages. B+

No wine Thursday, Friday was a Shrimp/feta/tomato sauce over pasta. The 2017 Hatzidakis No. 15 Assyrtiko (Santorini) is quite full-framed, leesy, with citrus and flower notes. B+/B

Saturday over to friends (separate tables, windows cracked, air purifier in between, wines/dishes pre-split). Started with smoked monkfish, salmon,Iberico bellota, and then black sea bass crudo (Granny smith, watermelon radish, red pepper).

NV Valentin Leflaive Champagne Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut
New producer to me, but I quite liked- striking acids, fine mousse, crisp and long. B+

2004 Marc Colin La Chateniere St. Aubin 1er Cru
Yippee, no premox here! Fresh citrus nose with a hint of matchstick, ripe Chardonnay fruit with balanced acidity. Melon, apple, a hint of vanilla. Not super-complex or long, but in good shape. B

Then on to an Intense mushroom soup, followed by rib roast, baked potato, salad
1985 Heitz Cabernet Sauvignon
More acid than tannin here, mature red fruit, Herbs, leaves on the forest floor. Fully mature, needs to be drunk up, but thats no chore. B++

2007 Perlato del Bosco Rosso
New wine to me. Unsure of cepage. Whammy, jammy, now drinking this is a chore. C+/C

2019 Emrich-Schönleber Mineral Riesling Trocken
Electric, vibrant Riesling, with smoke and gunflint on top of crisp citrus fruit. Mineral indeed, and very tasty. B+/A-

Superbowl Sunday started with oysters and the 2012 Gautheron Les Forneaux VV Chablis 1er. Moderate acids, pear and lemon fruit, nice length, but I like my Chablis with a bit more cut and mineral. B

Then Turkey chili, wings, salad. The 1985 Burgess Zinfandel had good acids, red fruit, and wasnt showing its age. But it wasnt showing much development/complexity/character either. B-

Zoom wine was the 1985 LArrosee , with roast chicken , carrots, potatoes, and salad. I found this a little muted at first, nose was quiet, but on palate it was lovely, pretty black cherry fruit , some mocha and smoke notes, good balance, nice length. Fully mature but not fading, B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.