Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: POmmard, Piedmont

I made a (great if I say so myself) brasato al Barolo Sunday (for Mon consumption) . I used partial bottles of leftover Chianti and Crozes-Hermitage, and most of a new bottle of 2013 Massimo Rivetti Barbaresco. As a drinking wine it was young and tannic, moderate acids, some floral notes over cherry fruit. B-

So Monday Zoom call (theme was BYO Nebbiolo) with the brasato, polenta, broccoli rabe, and the 1990 Cavallotto €śBricco Boschis San Giuseppe€ť Barolo Riserva. Decanted about 5, seemed a little pruney, by dinner at 7 it had freshened but still had a roasted note to it. I was a little disappointed (unfairly comparing to the 1989), but Betsy liked it, and by the end of the call it was showing much better. Apparently 4-5 hours in decanter is sweet spot for this, by then it was less roasted, more floral, with tar and mushroom notes over black cherry fruit. C+ at 5, B/B- at 7, B+/A- at 9.

No wine Tuesday (work) with shallot pasta, but Wednesday Betsy made duck legs in panko and mustard, braised cabbage, served with leftover polenta and the 2000 de Courcel €śRugiens€ť Pommard 1er. A forgotten bottle. I thought I had pretty much drunk up my 2000 Burgundies (with pleasure).. My memory of this bottle younger was that it was a bit more about Courcel than Pommard. But this bottle is pretty delicious and almost classic- red fruited, a little sandalwood, some forest floor and a touch of coffee. Tannins are resolved, balanced tannins, a plush texture is the part that seems not so Pommard to me. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: $35 Pommard 1er DaleW Wine 0 25-09-2014 02:04 PM
Ping: aem &/or piedmont - re paella recipe posted by piedmont Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 7 13-02-2010 10:14 PM
TN: '93 Jadot Pommard Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 11-07-2008 05:08 PM
TN 58 Spanna, 78 Graves, 80 Pommard 90 Amarone and more DALE WILLIAMS Wine 3 13-06-2007 04:54 PM
TN: A Pacherenc and a Pommard Jim Wine 0 04-01-2006 10:27 AM