FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Burgs, Loires, Champagne, Marche, Kamptal (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/452794-tn-burgs-loires-champagne.html)

[email protected] 25-11-2020 06:35 PM

TN: Burgs, Loires, Champagne, Marche, Kamptal

Saddest bottle of the week was a horribly corked 2005 Boulay Comtesse

Pork chops, barley/wild rice, bok choy
2001 Hiedler Maximum Riesling (Kamptal)
I have found recent vintages of this a bit hotter and rounder than my preference, but this (13% abv) was pretty well cut, peach and ginger with a little petrol overtone. Ready and long. B+

Pasta with clams, peas, and bacon
2018 Collestefano Verdicchio di Matelica
Clean, saline, citrus, very versatile food wine. B/B+

With some oysters on half shell
NV Marie Courtin €śEfflorescence€ť
Green apple, pastry dough, crisp yet rich. B+

Veal chops with sage, mushroom (oyster, maitake, yellowfoot, velvet piopinni) risotto, Brussels sprouts
1999 DAngerville Volnay 1er
Pretty and ready. Red berries, soil, a touch of Barolo-like tar. Perfumed and tasty, not weighty but with grip. Great showing for a blended 1er. B+/A-

Quail braised in Vouvray, leftover risotto and Brussels sprouts
This was our Zoom call. I think everyone liked both, I think most preferred the CdB. But happy to have both and think theyll easily age decades.

2019 Huet €śLe Haut Lieu€ť Vouvray Sec
Snappy, bright, lively with melon and honey. B+
2019 Huet €śClos du Bourg€ť Vouvray Sec
Deeper, rocks and flowers, long A-

Last night I did a variation on risotto al salto (mushroom risotto wont really make a cake) with lamb kidneys with sage and sauteed spinach
1999 Robert Arnoux €śLes Proces€ť Nuits St.-Georges 1er
Servicable but I kept thinking about the Volnay. Red and black cherry, some dirt, ok but a little plodding. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency