Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Alsace night (plus btg Saumur and Burg)

Our first meal at a restaurant in ages, outdoors at Saint George in Hastings (steep slope, so they built terraces). Beautiful breezy night, sunset on the Hudson. We shared baked oysters with leeks, onion soup with duck, coq au vin, salade Nicoise, Swiss chard gratin. We had a couple of WBTG

2018 Hureau Saumur
Tasty Chenin, citrus with chalk and just a little wax, good acids, versatile with food. B+/B

2018 Germaine Monthelie rouge
Cranberry, a bit cranky, not very long. B-/C+

Then Betsy dropped me at Alexs, where our local group was gathered around the firepit for Alsace night. Alex made a delicious Flammekueche and choucroute (I only had a little of reach)

Charles Frey Cremant dAlsace Rose
Others liked a lot, a bit off dry, clipped and short to me. C+

The blind wines
#1 - pretty clearly Gewurz, lychee and citrus, full and rich, could use a bit more acid.
2018 Meyer-Fonne Gewurztraminer 'Reserve' B

#2- mine, so no guesses from me, clearly Riesling, others guessed CFE knowing my tastes, but I fooled them. Big, good acids, pit fruit and petrol, good length., 2011 Weinbach Schlossberg Cuvee Ste. Catherine Riesling B+

#3 - I thought Pinot Blanc or dry Gris. Citrus and rocks. Good balance, nice wine. 2017 Domaine Trapet Pinot Auxerrois 'OX' B/B+

#4 - Clearly Riesling, pear and citrus, citrus zest, just a touch of incipient petrol. Long and balanced, and edged Weinbach for my WOTN. Ive never had Trapets Alsace wines before 2016 Trapet RQHR Riesling B++

#5- wet, citrus, wet. 2017 Francois Baur Pinot Blanc C+

There were 2 reds, I didnt like either, but only noted the Hubert & Christian Pirouettes Pinot Noir
It says glouglou on label, but not for me. Light, a bit lifted, a little barnyard. C+

Fun night with great people

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.