Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Me, Warre, and BVGdLT turn 60, PBaron, Laville, Carillon, etc are younger

My plan for last few years was to have a big 60th party, to use up some of my magnums. COVID killed that idea. So we had a pair of couples over for outside dinner last night with regular sized bottles.

Canapes (smoked salmon with brown butter, carrot romesco/radish, tonnato/radish, finocchiona, smoked ricotta)
1997 Laurent-Perrier €śGrand Siecle Cuvee Alexandra€ť Rose Champagne
Plenty of fizz left, soft acids, elegant mousse. Strawberry cream and bricoje, some light citrus zest notes. Good length. B+

Japanese lobster salad (soy/ponzu/chili/shiso)
1985 Laville Haut Brion
Darker color than another recent bottle, and some light nutty oxidative notes, but good acids and freshness. Pears and pit fruits with a little almond and coconut. B+

2010 F. Carillon €śCombetttes€ť Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Others were more into the Bdx blanc, but this was singing to me. Pear, hazelnut, & citrus, long minerally finish, classic. A-

Steak (not the ones I wanted- grrr), winter squash with pomegranate, heirloom tomato salad
1989 Pichon Baron
Great showing, rich cassis fruit framed by supple tannins and moderate acids, some leather and cigar smoke. Long ferric finish. Young but totally delicious. A-

1960 Beaulieu Vineyards €śGeorges de Latour€ť Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
Incredible fill for a wine my age, just into neck. Best bottle Ive had (others had decent high shoulder fills). Back has big lettering €śMade Exclusively with Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes€ť (this was when that was a rarity in CA) but Id never have guessed that if blind. Fruit is solidly in red spectrum - cherry and cranberry. But shockingly lively, sweet red fruit and herbs holds on for hours. B+/B

1973 Heitz Cabernet Sauvignon
Modest fruit, some barnyard, decent wine thats holding on but blown away by other reds. B-

Great cheese plate brought by Alex and Hilary

1960 Warre Vintage Porto
From 375 ml. I think most Port lovers would find this too light, but to me it was delightful and elegant. Spiced cherries, toffee, leather. Nice length, even though it is light-bodied. Not recommended for those looking for power, but for me A-/B+

I got pretty lucky with the wines. Nice night (we used patio heater but on low) with great people. As we were cleaning up we cracked up at a pastiche of €śBohemian Rhapsody€ť done with lyrics for my birthday by some friends (recorded from 5 different locations in one take). I am now hoping to have a big 61st bash.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/2/20 12:44 PM, wrote:
> My plan for last few years was to have a big 60th party, to use up some of my magnums. COVID killed that idea. So we had a pair of couples over for outside dinner last night with regular sized bottles.

Happy 60th, Dale! I do recall now that you are a 60er.

> Steak (not the ones I wanted- grrr), winter squash with pomegranate, heirloom tomato salad
> 1989 Pichon Baron
> Great showing, rich cassis fruit framed by supple tannins and moderate acids, some leather and cigar smoke. Long ferric finish. Young but totally delicious. A-

I recall having this wine years ago. Very classy wine, and it sounds
like you had a good bottle.

> 1960 Beaulieu Vineyards €śGeorges de Latour€ť Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
> Incredible fill for a wine my age, just into neck. Best bottle Ive had (others had decent high shoulder fills). Back has big lettering €śMade Exclusively with Cabernet Sauvignon Grapes€ť (this was when that was a rarity in CA) but Id never have guessed that if blind. Fruit is solidly in red spectrum - cherry and cranberry. But shockingly lively, sweet red fruit and herbs holds on for hours. B+/B

Wow, talk about a great showing.

> 1973 Heitz Cabernet Sauvignon
> Modest fruit, some barnyard, decent wine thats holding on but blown away by other reds. B-

In many respects, I prefer '73 to the more ballyhooed '74 vintage in
Napa. The wines weren't as fruit-forward and had better structure.
Still, at age 47 anything is possible.

> 1960 Warre Vintage Porto
> From 375 ml. I think most Port lovers would find this too light, but to me it was delightful and elegant. Spiced cherries, toffee, leather. Nice length, even though it is light-bodied. Not recommended for those looking for power, but for me A-/B+

One of my best friends was born in '60. When I went to look for
birthyear wines, Port was about the only region that seems to have done
well that year. But you know all about that, I'm sure ;-)

Great set of notes!
Mark Lipton

TN: Pape Clement vertical, + Doyard, LdH, Carillon, Guiraud DaleW Wine 0 05-04-2017 08:12 PM
TN Chateau Laville Haut-Brion 1989 cwdjrxyz Wine 4 29-11-2011 08:21 AM
1970 Warre's Port Bill[_27_] Wine 2 10-01-2011 07:26 PM
Warre's ? - could not post in thread cheeny weeny Wine 0 13-12-2004 08:21 PM
Brocard, Carillon, Chanson, Banfi, Pesquera... Bill Spohn Wine 0 17-07-2004 03:10 PM