Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Riesling with everything?

When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
Riesling, the universal grape.

But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
this advice fails?

--
Rich
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/2020 11:49 AM, RichD wrote:
> When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
> Riesling, the universal grape.
>
> But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
> this advice fails?

We all have different preferences, but to me riesling is not a universal
grape; it doesn't go with everything. For example, I'd rather have no
wine with steak, roast beef, lamb chops, or hamburgers than have
Riesling with it.

--
Ken
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/20 2:49 PM, RichD wrote:
> When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
> Riesling, the universal grape.
>
> But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
> this advice fails?

Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
with most red meats. I think that tomato-based dishes also can
overwhelm it. With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
"Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
be terrible with most desserts).

Just my $0.02,
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/2020 4:26 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/25/20 2:49 PM, RichD wrote:
>> When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
>> Riesling, the universal grape.
>>
>> But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
>> this advice fails?

> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
> with most red meats. I think that tomato-based dishes also can
> overwhelm it. With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
> be terrible with most desserts).

Yes, but as I understand it, the term "dessert wine" does not mean a
wine to be served with dessert. It mean a wine to be *used* as a dessert.

--
Ken
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/20 7:42 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

>> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
>> with most red meats.Â* I think that tomato-based dishes also can
>> overwhelm it.Â* With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
>> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
>> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
>> be terrible with most desserts).

> Yes, but as I understand it, the term "dessert wine" does not mean a
> wine to be served with dessert. It mean a wine to be *used* as a dessert.

Quite so, Ken, but that's not how a lot of people think of them, I find.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/2020 9:16 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:

> On 8/25/20 7:42 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
>>> with most red meats.Â* I think that tomato-based dishes also can
>>> overwhelm it.Â* With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
>>> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
>>> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
>>> be terrible with most desserts).

>> Yes, but as I understand it, the term "dessert wine" does not mean a
>> wine to be served with dessert. It mean a wine to be *used* as a dessert.
>>

> Quite so, Ken, but that's not how a lot of people think of them, I find.

Yes, I've found the same thing.

--
Ken
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2020-08-25 5:26 p.m., Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/25/20 2:49 PM, RichD wrote:
>> When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
>> Riesling, the universal grape.
>>
>> But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
>> this advice fails?

> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
> with most red meats. I think that tomato-based dishes also can
> overwhelm it. With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
> be terrible with most desserts).
>
> Just my $0.02,
> Mark Lipton

A waiter in a restaurant in Bordeaux insisted that I have a glass of
Sauternes with my foie gras. I know it's a classic pairing but it didn't
enhance the dish on that occasion.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 7:26:03 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 8/25/20 2:49 PM, RichD wrote:
> > When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
> > Riesling, the universal grape.
> >
> > But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
> > this advice fails?

> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
> with most red meats. I think that tomato-based dishes also can
> overwhelm it. With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
> be terrible with most desserts).
>
> Just my $0.02,
> Mark Lipton

i'm with Mark and Ken, not a fan with red meat (well, maybe duck or goose if you consider red meat) or with tomato dishes (especially cooked, but fresh as well). Not a real clash but not my instinct with delicate white fish either. But lots of chicken, pork, rabbit, oily fish recipes it's my go-to (especially if Asian)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2020-08-26 12:11 p.m., wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 7:26:03 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 8/25/20 2:49 PM, RichD wrote:
>>> When friends ask for food pairings, I always recommend
>>> Riesling, the universal grape.
>>>
>>> But I'm not sure - are there any specific dishes where
>>> this advice fails?

>> Riesling is a very versatile white grape, but it's not an ideal choice
>> with most red meats. I think that tomato-based dishes also can
>> overwhelm it. With Riesling, it also depends on the sweetness level.
>> "Dessert wine"-type Rieslings (Auslese and up) are really not suited for
>> much food beyond certain cheeses and maybe nuts (ironically, they would
>> be terrible with most desserts).
>>
>> Just my $0.02,
>> Mark Lipton

> i'm with Mark and Ken, not a fan with red meat (well, maybe duck or goose if you consider red meat) or with tomato dishes (especially cooked, but fresh as well). Not a real clash but not my instinct with delicate white fish either. But lots of chicken, pork, rabbit, oily fish recipes it's my go-to (especially if Asian)

I don't waste even inexpensive wine on curries. I've found that cider
(hard in the US) is the better accompaniment.
Graham

Riesling RichD General Cooking 5 25-08-2020 11:53 PM
TN: DDC, Riesling, ESJ, more DaleW Wine 3 07-12-2017 08:48 PM
TN: Riesling, Riesling, Chardonnay DaleW Wine 0 24-11-2009 02:55 AM
Does Riesling ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 21-03-2007 02:22 AM
Riesling Karl \(JIM\) Reich Wine 9 01-02-2004 05:42 PM