Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Rose, bubbles, GV, Bdx, Rioja, and more (6 feet apart)

Some nice (socially distanced) dinners, a couple family dinners, and a drink in the yard

Hot day Thursday, but it was comfortable in Alex and Hilarys garden. We started with canapes (pate, skordalia, chevre), then tarator (cold yogurt/cucumber/garlic soup), and then an excellent paella with chorizo, chicken, mussels, clams, shrimp and squid.

2019 Bagnol Cassis Rose
Crisp, saline, red fruits in a taut structure. B+

2018 Pardas €śRupestris€ť (Penedes)
Lemon,peach, and seashell, bright. B/B+

2018 Montecastrillo (Ribera del Duero)
Ripe red fruits veering into stewed territory, some rather hard tannin, short. Maybe the heat of the evening, but not for me. C/C+

Friday we had Danny Kayes Chicken Salad, with the 2019 Vorspannhof Mayr Gruner Veltliner. Liter bottle, shortest screwcap I ever saw. Light, good acid, a hint of saline, easy to drink and $10/liter. B/B-

Saturday oysters, sauteed scallops, pasta with zucchini/lemon/herbs, salad
2010 Mugnier €śClos de la Marechale€ť Nuits St. Georges Blanc
Im generally not a huge fan of CdN whites, and I cant say this is a bargain, but at moment it is a very lovely bottle of white Burgundy,. Pear and apple, a little hazelnut and citrus blossoms, integrated oak.. Balanced and bright. A-

Sunday afternoon a couple of friends came by for a wine exchange, we sat in back with scallop crudo, garlic scape canapes, beef sausage, and the NV Pierre Peters €śOubilee€ť Champagne. Rich, leesy, good acids but in a heavier style than I expect from Peters, this is good but not my style- might appeal more to Krug fans. B

Then over to friends home to celebrate their 30th anniversary

Oysters, garlic scape pesto canapes
NV Andre Jacquart €śExperience€ť Blanc de Blancs Champagne
Apple pie, moderate acids, a little austere. B-

Red snapper crudo with watercress pesto,
2017 La Haubette Sancerre
Grass, green fruit, crisp, not very complex or long but cold and a good partner to the cruso. B/B-

lamb chops, potatoes, asparagus
1990 Ch. Belair (St Emilion)
Double-decanted before we left home, best showing Ive seen of this.. Black and red currant, a pleasant herby/minty edge, a ferric note on finish. Nicely put together. B+

2001 Baron de Ley Rioja Gran Reserva
Plums, spice, ripe and ready. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 2:18:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> NV Pierre Peters €śOubilee€ť Champagne. Rich, leesy, good acids but in a heavier style than I expect from Peters, this is good but not my style- might appeal more to Krug fans. B

Oops, Oubliee. By the way this was 2009 base, disgorged in Nov 2015 (I love the QR codes, although I guess you could just print it on label).

2001 La Rioja Alta "Vińa Ardanza" Reserva Especial Rioja Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 4 07-05-2016 11:51 PM
TN: Back to NY- Bdx, Bandol rose, bubbles, Riesling, Muscadet, Mencia DaleW Wine 0 31-12-2015 05:26 PM
TN: Rioja and Rose DaleW Wine 2 27-09-2008 08:35 PM
Chicken stock using feet. How many feet? Pierre General Cooking 5 16-02-2005 07:47 PM
Chicken feet/ Pigs feet Bubba General Cooking 17 04-12-2004 07:51 PM