FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: where I drink wrong Canary Island wine (+ '82 Medoc, Loire, Saar, Sonoma) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/451173-tn-where-i-drink.html)

DaleW[_2_] 09-06-2020 09:10 PM

TN: where I drink wrong Canary Island wine (+ '82 Medoc, Loire, Saar, Sonoma)

Dry aged shell steak, potatoes, creamed spinach
1982 La Tour de By (Medoc)
Still clearly holding, black fruit with some herby notes, not really any 1982 lushness, a sterner mature Medoc. B-

Oysters, red snapper with miso butter, wild rice, salad
2013 Boulay €śClos de Beaujeu€ť Sancerre
Balanced, long, minerally. I keep being impressed with Boulay. Crisp, wet stones, citrus, just a hint of grass. In a good place. A-/B+

2018 Maitre de Chai €śHerron Vineyard€ť Sauvignon Blanc (Sonoma Valley)
A musky style of SB, peach and perfume. Comes across as a bit much for me (my first time with maker, who friends have really liked). B-

Original plan was pad thai, but lobster sale at HMart meant it was lobster/shrimp pad thai, along with bok choy. Wine was the 2015 Peter Lauer Ayler Kupp Fass 18 Grosses Gewachs. Just a hint of RS, nectarine and lime fruit, floral with herb notes as well. Light yet with some oomph, long finish. A-/B+

So Monday was our Zoom group, featuring a Canary Island red. I didnt see it where I thought I had left it, and did a quick search for it. Oh here it is, a bottle from Tenerife. So shortly before the call I decant, and note the light color (even for Listan Negro). A beautiful clear ruby. As we start the call I realize I am not drinking the correct wine, this is a Rosado that I forgot that I had, the 2019 Dolores Cabrera Fernandez €śLa Araucaria€ť (Tenerife). Big oops. But I enjoyed the call, and I enjoyed the wine. Peppery, fragrant, raspberries and cranberries. Fine finish for a rose. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Mark Lipton[_2_] 10-06-2020 07:19 PM

On 6/9/20 4:10 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Original plan was pad thai, but lobster sale at HMart meant it was lobster/shrimp pad thai, along with bok choy. Wine was the 2015 Peter Lauer Ayler Kupp Fass 18 Grosses Gewachs. Just a hint of RS, nectarine and lime fruit, floral with herb notes as well. Light yet with some oomph, long finish. A-/B+

I do like Lauer as a source of dryish Riesling. The only problem is the
dizzying array of wines that he bottles, but at least I don't have to
consult AP numbers or examine capsule color/length to disambiguate.

> So Monday was our Zoom group, featuring a Canary Island red. I didnt see it where I thought I had left it, and did a quick search for it. Oh here it is, a bottle from Tenerife. So shortly before the call I decant, and note the light color (even for Listan Negro). A beautiful clear ruby. As we start the call I realize I am not drinking the correct wine, this is a Rosado that I forgot that I had, the 2019 Dolores Cabrera Fernandez €śLa Araucaria€ť (Tenerife). Big oops. But I enjoyed the call, and I enjoyed the wine. Peppery, fragrant, raspberries and cranberries. Fine finish for a rose. B+

Oopsie! At least you liked the wine.

Mark Lipton

DaleW[_2_] 16-06-2020 09:02 PM

On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 2:19:31 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 6/9/20 4:10 PM, DaleW wrote:
> >
> > Original plan was pad thai, but lobster sale at HMart meant it was lobster/shrimp pad thai, along with bok choy. Wine was the 2015 Peter Lauer Ayler Kupp Fass 18 Grosses Gewachs. Just a hint of RS, nectarine and lime fruit, floral with herb notes as well. Light yet with some oomph, long finish.. A-/B+

> I do like Lauer as a source of dryish Riesling. The only problem is the
> dizzying array of wines that he bottles, but at least I don't have to
> consult AP numbers or examine capsule color/length to disambiguate.
>

> > So Monday was our Zoom group, featuring a Canary Island red. I didnt see it where I thought I had left it, and did a quick search for it.. Oh here it is, a bottle from Tenerife. So shortly before the call I decant, and note the light color (even for Listan Negro). A beautiful clear ruby.. As we start the call I realize I am not drinking the correct wine, this is a Rosado that I forgot that I had, the 2019 Dolores Cabrera Fernandez €śLa Araucaria€ť (Tenerife). Big oops. But I enjoyed the call, and I enjoyed the wine. Peppery, fragrant, raspberries and cranberries. Fine finish for a rose. B+
> >

> Oopsie! At least you liked the wine.
>
> Mark Lipton

if only I could read the font on the Lauer labels....