FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: A Volnay (from Meursault) that tastes like Pommmard (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/451102-tn-volnay-meursault-tastes.html)

DaleW[_2_] 28-05-2020 06:40 PM

TN: A Volnay (from Meursault) that tastes like Pommmard

A Zoom tasting was rescheduled for last night, featuring the 2002 Lafon Volnay Santenots-du-Milieu 1er. I decanted at 6 for our 7 PM Zoom, pretty tight, opened a bit as we were talking, then seemed to close again before getting more expressive about 10 PM. Young, muscular, I agreed with someone who said more Pommard than Volnay. Big dark fruit, fairly tannic, some earth and spice. Solid and plush. Maybe not typical, but once opened up very nice. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.