Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagne, Pinot Noir, Gamay, Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay

A rare lunch at friends, lobster abounded. I had small glasses of three Champagnes

2006 Dom Perignon Brut Champagne
I liked this more before, it was very good in a full bodied style, but seemed to lack a bit of snap. B+

2002 Piper-Heidsieck €śRare€ť Brut Champagne
Now this is snappy and full, apple and lemon, just baked bread, great length. A-

NV Louis Roederer Premier Brut Champagne
Next is a NV that was cellared for several years. Ripe apple, buttered brioche, lively. B+

With chicken paprikash on egg noodles, snow peas, salad
2007 Scherrer Pinot Noir
Black cherry with a little mocha. I like this, but the alcohol clashed a bit with the paprikash (Betsy used 2 parts sweet to 1 part hot, so not real hot, but just enough to make the wine to seem hot).

2005 Chevillon Bourgogne
Cherry, with a little blood orange and some damp earth. Medium bodied, good acids, just a touch of tannin. In a good place. B+/B

Fish tacos (with cabbage, chipotle sour cream, guacamole, salsa crudo, etc)
2014 du Collier Saumur blanc
Full-bodied but racy, pear and wax, nice chalky finish. This seems young but delicious. B+/A-

2010 Drouhin €śFolatieres€ť Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Quite advanced, pear laced with sherry, too bad. C+

With salmon crudo, the 2014 Servin €śLe Clos€ť Chablis Grand Cru. This is pretty good Chardonnay, but maybe a disappointment for a "14 Clos. Clean grapefruit and lemon, touch of beeswax, maybe a little light in midpalate. B

Sausage and white bean stew, sauteed spinach, and salad
2009 Domaine des Billards Saint-Amour Reserve Caveau
This shows the big ripe style of the vintage, but is not the least bit ungainly. Rich red fruit, smoke, and mineral. Quite long. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C
drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/24/20 3:50 PM, DaleW wrote:

> With salmon crudo, the 2014 Servin €śLe Clos€ť Chablis Grand Cru. This is pretty good Chardonnay, but maybe a disappointment for a "14 Clos. Clean grapefruit and lemon, touch of beeswax, maybe a little light in midpalate. B

That's a bit disappointing. I've really liked what I've had from
Servin, but then again I don't buy GC any more, sticking to PC and
village-level.

As always, thanks for the interesting notes!
Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/24/20 1:50 PM, DaleW wrote:
> With salmon crudo, the 2014 Servin €śLe Clos€ť Chablis Grand Cru. This is pretty good Chardonnay, but maybe a disappointment for a "14 Clos. Clean grapefruit and lemon, touch of beeswax, maybe a little light in midpalate. B

Also disappointed here as I buy these and actually own two
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 1:14:26 PM UTC-5, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>e. B
>
> Also disappointed here as I buy these and actually own two

Don't go by one note from me! Tastes (and bottles) differ. And I am strikingly inconsistent.