Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Young Piedmont (and Tuscany)

I went to a dinner this week run by Voix de la Terre, a wine club in NYC area. Its was at Pietros in midtown, an easy location for me. Food was family style old school Italian-American- veal parm, spinach ravioli, baked pasta in bone marrow sauce (best dish), steak, lamb chops, potatoes, onions, and dessert

There were 3 Chiantis to start.. My favorite was the 2012 Fietri Chianti Classico Riserva, which was racy and lean (too lean for some). Others preferred the 2016 Pomona Chianti Classico Riserva which I thought a bit hard and hightoned. The 2016 Montefioralle Chianti Classico Riserva was big and a bit oaky, but I think it might show well with time.

Then 3 winemakers spoke (with some translation from Greg dal Piaz) as there wines were served. The 2009 Manuel Marinacci Barbaresco was a late arrival, and had some sediment. I thought it ripe and a little hot, the 2015 was also ripe and a little low acid for me. My favorite Barbaresco (and maybe my favorite Nebb of night) was the 2013 Ugo Lequio Gallina, a pretty perfumed lacy example.

Sergio Molino and Osvaldo Viberti were there pouring their Barolos from La Morra. I
The 2006 Viberti Serra dei Turchi was ripe and ready, if not complex, the 2015 was firmer, not bad, but I didnt care for the 2016. The 2014 Molino Bricco Rocca 2014 was leaner than the 2016, the 2013 Riserva del Fico was structured and not very giving. I enjoyed the Ballarin Brixco Rocca Barolos more, the 2011 rivaled the Ugo Lequio Barbaresco as my favorite for the night, the 2015 & 2016 were still pretty chewy.

Tuscany Bill S. Wine 0 23-06-2011 03:56 AM
TN: NM, WA. Tuscany, Piedmont, Jura DaleW Wine 2 22-03-2011 01:27 PM
Ping: aem &/or piedmont - re paella recipe posted by piedmont Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 7 13-02-2010 09:14 PM
TN: "Who needs Tuscany or Piedmont?" DaleW Wine 3 19-01-2010 07:30 PM
Truffles in Tuscany! Kyle General Cooking 3 29-10-2004 10:00 AM