FoodBanter.com

-   -   Question about super-cheap reds (newbie/non-connoisseur). (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/449439-question-about-super-cheap.html)

[email protected] 06-01-2020 10:34 PM

Question about super-cheap reds (newbie/non-connoisseur).

I like to add a small amount of red wine to various fruit juices. I have a friend who buys inexpensive reds, usually Cabs, such as Bolla, Yellow Tail, Carlo Rossi, Barefoot, Robert Mondavi, etc. in the large bottles and gives me some to try out, but neither one of us has kept track of things. I am looking for the cheapest red that is not sweet but that has a nice "gripping" feel to it. I think I prefer medium acidity and I know I prefer a lower alcohol content (though I realize that 11-12% is likely as low as I can go for this type of wine). Also, a longer finish seems best, even if it's not the best in other ways (but it can't be sweet). Thanks for your suggestions!

[email protected] 06-01-2020 10:40 PM

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 4:34:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I like to add a small amount of red wine to various fruit juices. I have a friend who buys inexpensive reds, usually Cabs, such as Bolla, Yellow Tail, Carlo Rossi, Barefoot, Robert Mondavi, etc. in the large bottles and gives me some to try out, but neither one of us has kept track of things. I am looking for the cheapest red that is not sweet but that has a nice "gripping" feel to it. I think I prefer medium acidity and I know I prefer a lower alcohol content (though I realize that 11-12% is likely as low as I can go for this type of wine). Also, a longer finish seems best, even if it's not the best in other ways (but it can't be sweet). Thanks for your suggestions!

I should have mentioned that I recently tried the 2017 Smoking Loon Pinot Noir, but it did not have any of the characteristics I'm seeking, other than not being sweet, and I mostly just got the alcohol content from it.