FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgs, Etna, ESJ, Mencia and more (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/449437-tn-champagne-bordeaux-burgs.html)

DaleW[_2_] 06-01-2020 08:26 PM

TN: Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgs, Etna, ESJ, Mencia and more

Betsy had to leave town for a family emergency, so my New Years plans changed. Went to SILs on NYE, starters were potatoes with creme fraiche and salmon roe as well as 3-liver pate, main was a salmon nicoise and brussels sprouts.

NV Bremont €śCuvee Prestige€ť Brut Champagne
Lovely and elegant, round edges despite good acids, apple pie and brioche (this has been cellared for at least 6 years)A-/B+

1998 Ch. du Tertre (Margaux)
No powerhouse here, but a nice balanced midweight mature claret. Moderate acids, no apparent tannin, cassis and leather. B+/B

With Texas brisket, sauteed pea shoots, eye of goat beans, collards
1985 Pichon Lalande (375 ml)
balanced and lively, cassis and black plum with cigarbox/cedar and a little anise note. A-/B+

Friends in Irvington held a dinner party- charcuterie, olives, cheese, fruit, followed by braised short ribs, potatoes, marinated mushrooms, and spinach salad
2016 Red Newt Dry Riesling
Citrus, a hint of smoke, touch of sweetness, a little dull on finish. B-

2013 Edmunds St. John €śRocks and Gravel€ť
This is a bit shutdown I think, theres red raspberry/cranberry fruit and a little peppery spice, but seems subdued, and more shaped by tannin than anything else. B/B- for now, think will improve

Last minute invite to a dinner party Friday, we enjoyed charcuterie (Spalla, pastourma, lonza), roast chicken, potatoes, and more

2018 Nicolas Girard Sancerre
Sweet melon and white plum, easy, not very Sancerre-ish. B-/C+

2017 Raul Perez €śUltreia Saint Jacques€ť (Bierzo)
Spicy/ peppery, tart fruit, some tannin. B

Saturday just me and some leftovers (brisket, collards, okra)
2014 Terre Nere €śCalderara Sottana€ť Etna Rosso
Warm red fruit, a little vanilla, lots of tannin. A hint of heat. This needs time to settle down, B-/C+ for now, will get better if alcohol and tannin integrate.

Missing Betsy, but tried to fill gap with dinner for seven friends. Started with charcuterie-
Carne salada,breasola, coppa, & fromage de tete, plus the NV Bruno Paillard €śPremiere Cuvee€ť Brut Champagne (7/2012 disgorgement). Crisp and elegant, Bosc pear and slatey minerality, a little nutty note, nice finish. B+

Next, scallops and 3 daikon crudo
1985 Drouhin€ť Les Folatieres€ť Puligny-Montrachet 1er
Low expectations, but this did very well. Color showed age, but not inappropriately. Started off a bit muted, but really blossomed. Hazelnut, rich honeyed pear, long and pleasantly tangy, with floral and soil accents. Pleasant surprise. B+/A-

Main was short rib Bourguignon, with potatoes, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts with rice krispies (!), salad, followed by cheese and some GF desserts

2005 Bitouzet-Prieur Bourgogne
Cooking wine, and ok for that. Tart cherry, a little caramel, a bit short. C+

1996 Alex Gambal €ś Poissenot:€ť Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
Low expectations as Ive not had great Gambal luck, and this is a Gevrey 1er Ive never heard of. But this is my favorite red of the night. Black cherry, bacon fat, smoke. Good acids but balanced,
B+

1996 Michel Gros Chambolle-Musigny
High acid, tart cherry/raspberry fruit, a little spicy wood. B

1995 Champy €śLes Caillerets€ť Volnay 1er Cru
Some loved this, I thought the fruit a bit pruney/raisiny, and finish shorter than other reds.C+/B-

Fun night, though we missed Betsy